Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reigns is going to get tons of chances to be the guy. Even if the push this summer doesn't work they won't stop there

It could go all Ryback though... That's a very real possibility.

Highly doubt it. Ryback ended up flopping because they kept putting him in high profile matches were him winning wasn't seen as the best scenario by the company (vs Punk, Shield and Cena) until he was just another guy and ended up in the dreaded midcard limbo.

With Reigns, it seems they'll be pretty comfortable putting him over pretty much anyone. I also think Roman has way more potential than Ryback so having more patience/faith in him makes sense.

Wasn't the fact that Ryback showed no discernible improvement in his work, also a factor in them giving up on him?

Excellent documentary well worth watching.:

Supermen: A Story of British Wrestlers is a feature-length documentary film focused on what it's like to live a life in wrestling. The film features interviews from a wide-range of British wrestlers, young to old. Including interviews with Rockstar Spud, Marty Scurll, Dave Taylor, Doug Williams, Robby Brookside and Dave Finlay, it is a comprehensive look at the subject.

Pretty funny feud brewing between Kevin Nash and Roddy Piper over some comments Piper made about Nash in his podcast...

I'm not sure I even understand the full story, but was curious what people here thought...if anything.

I've been working on a side project where I'm compiling as accurate of a list as I can of wrestling moves and the names given to them by various wrestlers throughout the years. Looking through wrestlers on Wikipedia and I nearly spilled my drink on my computer when I read the Wiki shenanigans that are the final sentence of the intro bio for Mickie Knuckles,

Mickie Lee Knuckles[2][8] (born May 16, 1984) is an American professional wrestler who has worked for a number of major independent promotions, including Independent Wrestling Association Mid-South, Chikara and Combat Zone Wrestling.[9] She also worked for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling under the name Moose. She is most notable for her hard-hitting style and inter-genderdeathmatches. Possibly the worst wrestler alive.

Excellent documentary well worth watching.:

Supermen: A Story of British Wrestlers is a feature-length documentary film focused on what it's like to live a life in wrestling. The film features interviews from a wide-range of British wrestlers, young to old. Including interviews with Rockstar Spud, Marty Scurll, Dave Taylor, Doug Williams, Robby Brookside and Dave Finlay, it is a comprehensive look at the subject.

This sort of stuff bores me to tears now. It's the same stories being told over and over and over just from different talking heads now. It's all filmed in the same way too. I stopped watching at the obligatory death match chapter.

Watching some mid-90s WCW, specifically Hogan hitting people with a chair. I remember at the time thinking that it make Hogan look like such a wuss, the way he would daintily hit someone with a chair. I still wish Hogan had just never picked up a chair, ever, but, looking back at it how much do you think Hogan's opponents are happy he hit them the way he did as opposed to full force like most others? Lots of concussions and late in life brain injuries were probably held off because of Hogan's wussified chair swinging.

This really doesn't apply to this board, but I'm sick of reading people online shit on Brock Lesnar as a part-timer who "doesn't give a shit and is just there for the paycheck." You can't watch some of the crazy bumps he takes and tell me he doesn't care. Watch Brock in New Japan if you want to see "doesn't give a shit and is just there for the paycheck" Brock Lesnar.

Pretty funny feud brewing between Kevin Nash and Roddy Piper over some comments Piper made about Nash in his podcast...

I'm not sure I even understand the full story, but was curious what people here thought...if anything.

Can you give us some details?

On Pipers (rubbish) podcast, he said of the confrontation he had with Nash backstage in WCW. Piper said Nash didn't hit him and Piper took him down. Nash who has spoken about this for years got angry as he claims he slapped Piper to the floor. Nash went on Twitter and called Piper on it, calling him a bitch and an old man etc, stated that Eric, Hulk and Kid were there to see what really happened. Then Kid went on Twitter and said it breaks his heart to speak ill of Piper, but he was talking shit.

Piper telephoned Nash and the two made up. It looks like Kev is going on Pipers podcast.

Nash caring so much about this is stupid, but someone needs to clue him in that Piper is both mentally ill and incapable of shooting in a public forum.

It's the way of the business though, wrestlers caring way too much about stuff that doesn't really matter. It's like a high school locker room where the kids never age mentally as their physical bodies erode away.

Did the arrival of Hogan to WCW really kick off the sniping between them and WWF? I know that previously you'd get the occasional veiled reference from JR about how WCW/NWA was where real athletes came to fight, not bodybuilders. But, it seems like in 1995 WCW started kicking things into overdrive, flinging jabs at WWF on every PPV and talking up their product as the place to be in wrestling, etc.

Did the arrival of Hogan to WCW really kick off the sniping between them and WWF? I know that previously you'd get the occasional veiled reference from JR about how WCW/NWA was where real athletes came to fight, not bodybuilders. But, it seems like in 1995 WCW started kicking things into overdrive, flinging jabs at WWF on every PPV and talking up their product as the place to be in wrestling, etc.

i would argue that wasn't because of hogan so much as becoming a direct TV competitor

before nitro, wcw & wwf occupied different niches so there wasn't much of a need to trash talk each other. nitro meant that there was a real fight between them now, so there was incentive to spoil match results and do skits mocking the competition's owner and biggest stars!

I know that previously you'd get the occasional veiled reference from JR about how WCW/NWA was where real athletes came to fight, not bodybuilders.

I always thought that it was funny when Ross would do the "We Wrestle" catchphrase, and then in the same show, they would have Rick Steiner go on a date to the zoo or something.

Watching some mid-90s WCW, specifically Hogan hitting people with a chair. I remember at the time thinking that it make Hogan look like such a wuss, the way he would daintily hit someone with a chair. I still wish Hogan had just never picked up a chair, ever, but, looking back at it how much do you think Hogan's opponents are happy he hit them the way he did as opposed to full force like most others? Lots of concussions and late in life brain injuries were probably held off because of Hogan's wussified chair swinging.

Hogan a decade ago in an interview praised Kamala as being someone who would protect you in the ring. Knowing what we know now, that's the kind of opinion you can only get from workers about other workers that's really worth considering. American women for a long time worked a more boring style than their Japanese counterparts. But is working safe really a cause for criticism?

Since we're talking about Hogan and chairshot safety, I am pretty sure that is the reason Hogan never wanted to work with Rick Rude. They have one taped match together, I believe from Boston Garden, and there's a spot in there where Hogan is clearly leaving his back open for Rude to hit him with a chair and Rude goes all the way around him to hit him in the head with it. Since Hogan wasn't really open for it Rude had to kind of turn the chair and ended up hitting Hogan in the head with the side of the chair and not the seat.