Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And Smash didn't start suddenly talk in a fake Russian accent.

Neither did Krusher Krushchev, the gimmick was Uncle Ivan turned a good Minnesota boy into an evil commie.

Actually, it was Nikolai Volkoff in Mid South. He was Crusher Darsow, some sort of hillbilly type who embraced Marxism and became a sympathizer .

I can't picture Vince loving Elvis. I can't picture Vince loving any kind of music, really.

Honky tells the story that he told Vince it was a heel gimmick. He was doing the character in the south right before Vince brought him in. And Vince indeed said "Everyone loves Elvis" according to HTM. That was that weird time where not too much earlier they brought in Dick Slater as "The Rebel" Dick Slater, babyface who waves a Confederate flag on the way to the ring. Hahaha

Vince also had visions of using Honky to create his own version of Jerry Lawler. Note that babyface Honky had suspenders to yank down as part of his comeback routine, and at first used a flying fistdrop as a finisher instead of the Shake, Rattle, 'n Roll.

Vince also had visions of using Honky to create his own version of Jerry Lawler. Note that babyface Honky had suspenders to yank down as part of his comeback routine, and at first used a flying fistdrop as a finisher instead of the Shake, Rattle, 'n Roll.

I never put that together before. That's just so strange, would they have "Lawler" as Hogan's little buddy? I'm struggling to see how a Lawler-type would be booked in the Hogan era.

it's interesting to think about these slightly more subtle attempts to create one's own version of another promotion's popular wrestler. never figured that about honky but it makes perfect sense!

we all know about the renegade, but i think it could very well be argued that van hammer & jungle jim steele were less blatant attempts of WCW's to make their own ultimate warrior

Bradshaw in is first incarnation was a Hansen rip off and you had guys like the Berzerker doing the whole Brody gimmick complete with the huss chant.

This reminds me, I was watching a Clash of the Champions show from 88 or 89 on WWE network a few weeks ago, and there was a video package of Sting highlight clips and at one point I SWORE it was him and Brody in the ring.....but that didn't make any sense because Brody died in mid 88 and he was never in the NWA/WCW when Sting was. Where could they have possibly crossed paths, with Sting in full-on facepaint Stinger look. I looked around on the internet and found nothing. It couldn't have been Bruiser Brody. Was there a Brody look-a-like around then? It was a short one move clip but the guy was the spitting image of Brody

Is the play by play announcer position the toughest job in wrestling? I was just thinking about how many great wrestlers, managers, bookers, promoters, even referees that there have been in wrestling but the number of great announcers probably doesn't even hit double digits.

Maybe this is just me being late to the party but the Santo retirement match is at the GUARDIANPURORESU youtube account. Santo/Gori Guerrero/Solitario/Huracan Ramirez vs Perro Aguayo/Misioneros de la Muerte. The whole thing (interview and full match) is almost an hour long. I don't expect this to be very good since three of the babyfaces are old geezers but this has been one of the lucha libre holy grails that we always KNEW was taped (two sets of highlights had surfaced in the last two decades) but had never popped up anywhere before.