Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen Tessa Blanchard yet? Daughter of Tully and raised by Magnum TV. Not the best picture of her on her own terms but it is most Tully looking:

Bz748jdIQAAb60k.png

Haven't seen her Wrestle yet. She has only just started Wrestling. Her match at NWA Fanfest was supposed fairly poor but she has gotten favourable notices since.

Been catching up on old Place to Be podcasts, and man do I loathe Kevin Kelly now. Talk about a guy who just doesn't get wrestling. In his yearly recaps he talks about the Attitude Era as if everything was great, but my main beef is how he will gush over the stuff that even the most diehard of Attitude Era fans don't like. The final straw for me was the way he easily categorizes the DX Nation skit and the Kaientai choppy-choppy pee pee as funny and not racist in any way. It's not like WWF writers not getting pro wrestling or generally being terrible to listen to is anything new, but man is Kelly terrible when reminiscing about the WWF.

Been catching up on old Place to Be podcasts, and man do I loathe Kevin Kelly now. Talk about a guy who just doesn't get wrestling. In his yearly recaps he talks about the Attitude Era as if everything was great, but my main beef is how he will gush over the stuff that even the most diehard of Attitude Era fans don't like. The final straw for me was the way he easily categorizes the DX Nation skit and the Kaientai choppy-choppy pee pee as funny and not racist in any way. It's not like WWF writers not getting pro wrestling or generally being terrible to listen to is anything new, but man is Kelly terrible when reminiscing about the WWF.

Bill, you can post this feedback in the podcast folders.

Bill, you can post this feedback in the podcast folders.

Wasn't sure since the episodes I listened to were a few years old, but duly noted. :)

Always wondered if All-Japan had scheduled a Champion Carnival for 1983 before cancelling it and it looks like they did and look at the list of guys that was supposed to go over.

You know what, I immediately thought "Alexis Smirnoff?!" And I had absolutely no idea he was more than Russian Schlub #7. You learn something every day.

Not sure this is worth a separate thread, so I'll post it here:

I've been reading through the new book As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride (by Cary Elwes, with Joe Layden).

In addition to the expected - but still great - stories about Andre's drinking, health, etc., there's also an interesting tidbit about the WrestleMania 3 Silverdome attendance record. The WWE has always claimed over 93,000, and Meltzer has constantly refuted that over the years with a lower number (I can't remember what now). In the book, Cary Elwes quotes "The Princess Bride's" producer, Andy Scheinman, who was told at the time that the number was 78,000. Thought that was interesting. Granted, it could be a case of the guy misremembering the number he heard 25 years ago, but that seems somewhat unlikely to me.

The co-author/ghostwriter is Joe Layden, who also co/ghost wrote The Rock Says. I wonder if he pushed for more Andre/wrestling-related content.

I haven't finished the book yet, but it's been great so far. I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you're only looking for Andre/wrestling tidbits, but if you have an interest in that and the movie, I'd say it's well worth buying.

http://books.simonandschuster.com/As-You-Wish/Cary-Elwes/9781476764023

I've been reading through the new book As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride (by Cary Elwes, with Joe Layden).

In addition to the expected - but still great - stories about Andre's drinking, health, etc., there's also an interesting tidbit about the WrestleMania 3 Silverdome attendance record. The WWE has always claimed over 93,000, and Meltzer has constantly refuted that over the years with a lower number (I can't remember what now). In the book, Cary Elwes quotes "The Princess Bride's" producer, Andy Scheinman, who was told at the time that the number was 78,000. Thought that was interesting. Granted, it could be a case of the guy misremembering the number he heard 25 years ago, but that seems somewhat unlikely to me.

The co-author/ghostwriter is Joe Layden, who also co/ghost wrote The Rock Says. I wonder if he pushed for more Andre/wrestling-related content.

I haven't finished the book yet, but it's been great so far. I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you're only looking for Andre/wrestling tidbits, but if you have an interest in that and the movie, I'd say it's well worth buying.

78k is Meltzer's number.

I imagine we're not that far away from some complicated computer program that will be able to look at the video and compute how many people were there.

I've seen some mental debates over the years from indy fans arguing the toss (or fighting over crumbs) about the attendances of their shows, going to extents of literally drawing on photos numbers over individual heads in crowds from different angle.

"See, I told you it was only 150 people."

Is there a place where I can get a Kindle version of Tributes? Amazon does not seem to have it.

Not sure where you're from, but if you go on Highspots (http://www.highspots.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HS&Category_Code=Books&Product_Code=&Search=&Per_Page=20&Sort_By=price_asc) they have both Tributes books marked down. Don't think it was ever released on Kindle, might have something to do with the big photos used (although with tablets, that's not as big of an issue anymore).

Is there a place where I can get a Kindle version of Tributes? Amazon does not seem to have it.

Not sure where you're from, but if you go on Highspots (http://www.highspots.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HS&Category_Code=Books&Product_Code=&Search=&Per_Page=20&Sort_By=price_asc) they have both Tributes books marked down. Don't think it was ever released on Kindle, might have something to do with the big photos used (although with tablets, that's not as big of an issue anymore).

Thanks, but I am from India, and I cannot afford to ship the book. The cost would be too high. I was looking for a soft copy online, but no site seems to have it.

Specifically, I wanted to read the section on Junkyard Dog. Is it possible to find that online somewhere?

Austin's last podcast, imo, is a must listen. He watches his match vs Rock at 17 and breaks everything down. Truly Awesome look inside what guys are thinking when they are Main Eventing Mania.

Seriously. Do yourself a favor and listen.

Thanks, but I am from India, and I cannot afford to ship the book. The cost would be too high. I was looking for a soft copy online, but no site seems to have it.

Specifically, I wanted to read the section on Junkyard Dog. Is it possible to find that online somewhere?

Aren't the "Tributes" books just edited versions of the obits published in the Observer?

Maybe a one-month subscription to the Observer site might be the better option, assuming the JYD issue is online. (Anyone know?)

One thing to be aware of though: the newsletters are probably much messier grammatically than the books.

Aren't the "Tributes" books just edited versions of the obits published in the Observer?

Maybe a one-month subscription to the Observer site might be the better option, assuming the JYD issue is online. (Anyone know?)

One thing to be aware of though: the newsletters are probably much messier grammatically than the books.

Yeah, I tried that. The issue is not yet online. I think it would take another year or so before it gets online. Thanks anyway, much appreciated. :)

I sure hope not. The first one was okay, but Tributes 2 was formatted horribly. And by horribly, I mean formatted worse than one of Dave's normal bios. If someone didn't know a good bit of wrestling history, last names of other wrestlers are dropped into the obits with no prior reference.

I just finished the book yesterday, and that bit about the 78,000 stood out to me as well. I thought the book was terrific, especially all of the Andre bits.