Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else find it amusing that they did that video package where almost everyone who the company is pushing in a key position gushed about how great HHH/Undertaker at Wrestlemania was? Funny how the top guys are presented as fanboys for the real stars.

Kind of bummed that on the anniversary of his death the allocation of profits from a tribute shirt is the main focus point.

http://barbershopwindow.com/larrysweeney.htm

Some of Larry's friends are supporting the sale while others arent believing Barbershop shouldnt profit. Barbershop window stated the following:

we worked directly with Sweeney's family on this project, even going so far as to allowing them approve the design. The $10 per shirt we are donating was something we worked together with them on. We are urging people who do not want a shirt to donate directly to Thresholds, and we provide a link to the donation page on the website.

Some cool shirts on that site but damn is $27 way too much for that stuff

Anyone else find it amusing that they did that video package where almost everyone who the company is pushing in a key position gushed about how great HHH/Undertaker at Wrestlemania was? Funny how the top guys are presented as fanboys for the real stars.

WWE has a top 25 on the website. If a guy loses he goes down and if a guy wins he goes up. Post mania the losers like Cody, Bryan and Jericho took nose dives. Triple H managed to go up a spot.

I just saw that as (beside the obvious) as them just putting over how epic the match was. It was so great even the loser of the match goes up a notch.

I did lol at guys in that video package trying to sell it as this era's Hulk-Andre. I get what they were trying to do, but it was a real "come the fuck on" moment for me.

We don't have a note on the 70s IWA do we?

I'm glad you brought this up, because I've been intrigued by 70s IWA since I first read about it five or so years ago and this reminded me to ask if anyone knows anything substantial about it. I know it was supposedly an attempt to promote nationally with guys like Mascaras and Ivan Koloff and NWA outlaws, and it was backed by Eddie Einhorn who owned the Chicago White Sox and had good TV connections IIRC (and was later involved in Pro Wrestling USA?). I've never seen much written about it and I'm not sure if much if any footage exists.

Anyone know anything beyond my bare bones description?

We don't have a note on the 70s IWA do we?

I'm glad you brought this up, because I've been intrigued by 70s IWA since I first read about it five or so years ago and this reminded me to ask if anyone knows anything substantial about it. I know it was supposedly an attempt to promote nationally with guys like Mascaras and Ivan Koloff and NWA outlaws, and it was backed by Eddie Einhorn who owned the Chicago White Sox and had good TV connections IIRC (and was later involved in Pro Wrestling USA?). I've never seen much written about it and I'm not sure if much if any footage exists.

Anyone know anything beyond my bare bones description?

There's a decent amount around because PM Film sold a bunch of the shows later. VCI recently released a commercial DVD of a ton of IWA footage, too.

From what I've read about the IWA they had a flawed plan of attack. Their "home base" was the western NY, Buffalo, Cleveland area (Pedro Martinez was one of the main promoters involved and a lot of the talent were names in that region), their strongest TV was in New York City, but they ran most of their shows in the Carolinas and Georgia, filling out cards with local names who would have been viewed as inferior to the NWA talent.

I think if they'd focused on booking shows in the areas they had a foothold in while letting the TV get out there for a while before trying to directly attack strong NWA and WWF areas they would have had a better go at it. They lost so much money early on that Einhorn pulled out and they lost some of their big name talent.

Guest Slickster

From what I've read about the IWA they had a flawed plan of attack. Their "home base" was the western NY, Buffalo, Cleveland area (Pedro Martinez was one of the main promoters involved and a lot of the talent were names in that region), their strongest TV was in New York City, but they ran most of their shows in the Carolinas and Georgia, filling out cards with local names who would have been viewed as inferior to the NWA talent.

I think if they'd focused on booking shows in the areas they had a foothold in while letting the TV get out there for a while before trying to directly attack strong NWA and WWF areas they would have had a better go at it. They lost so much money early on that Einhorn pulled out and they lost some of their big name talent.

It's a little more complicated than that.

IWA's original plan of attack was to syndicate their TV in major existing territories (New York, Carolinas, Florida) and use the TV to hype big supershows in those areas. However, local promoters effectively crushed the IWA by preventing them from using traditional wrestling arenas in their markets. Instead of running New York City proper, the IWA was forced to run in Jersey City, NJ. Their Miami-area debut was at the Miami Marine Stadium (which was basically a large outdoor grandstand facing out into Biscayne Bay). JCP counter-programmed their Charlotte debut by running their own show at the same time.

Einhorn cut his losses after a year and other investors and promoters took over the IWA organization as a Carolinas-area outlaw promotion for the next few years.

http://www.steelbeltwrestling.com/index.ph...20&Itemid=1

Guest Slickster

I just dreamed Mark Henry pinned CM Punk for the WWE Championship. I was sitting in the crowd with Matt Striker who refused to talk about the possibility of Punk losing the match...until I pointed out the big net full of balloons hanging over the ring.

"I don't think the crew would have inflated all those balloons unless they were going to be dropped to celebrate a title switch."

Matt Striker looked at me for a moment, then stared at the floor and mumbled something.

I've actually had the classic wrestler's anxiety dream a couple of times. You're at the building, it's time for your match, and suddenly you realize you don't have your gear. Which is especially weird since I've only wrestled a dozen matches, and had anything resembling "gear" in maybe half of those.

I have had a similar dream, only because I'm not a wrestler, my dream is that I'm at the building and the show is about to start and I don't have my tripod, and since I can't hold my camera (well, iPhone) straight to save my life, the entire "TV" show for the next four weeks will be shaky and awful.

The most vivid wrestling dream I had was when I was teaming with a faceless jobber against Demolition in a squash match. I remember being scared but when I got in the ring I was suprised that all the punches and moves didn't hurt at all. I took the fall I believe. This was late 80/early 90s. Puts me at 10 or 11

An interesting item in the latest Observer:

Konnan and Court Bauer did an interview on Bauer’s MLW web site regarding Michaels and his hatred of losing. Bauer talked about all the issues with Hogan and Michaels because both were fighting over who would win the match and Hogan had creative control in his contract so Vince, who almost always backed up Michaels, had no choice but to back Hogan. So Michaels turned it into a cartoon match. While the story may be told differently now, at the time, Hogan wasn’t going to lose to Michaels, even if there was a return, which led to Michaels turning the match into a cartoon and then doing an interview the next day on Raw where he all but said he lost because he was told and it was all fake, being completely unprofessional. However, Vince never punished him for it, while anyone else doing the same thing would have been fired on the spot. That also led to the end of that Hogan tenure in the company, both over the interview and Hogan being mad about his pay for the match. Konnan said, “Shawn told this to Rey Mysterio once and I couldn’t believe it and I told Rey Mysterio, `Please don’t follow that advice.’ He said Shawn once told him, `Do you like doing jobs?’ Mysterio responded, `I don’t mind.’ Michaels then said, `I don’t. I don’t like doing jobs and you shouldn’t either.’ I was thinking to myself, that’s the worst advice you can give to a young guy. You never know when a wrestler is going to go to Vince when nobody is listening and say I’d rather not do this. I don’t want to put these guys over.” The Michaels vs. Mysterio story, the way I remember it, was that it took place in 2005 when Michaels agreed to put Mysterio over clean on a tribute show for Eddy Guerrero, since Mysterio was one of Eddy’s best friends and the night was about giving Eddy’s friends wins to make both them and the fans feel good (JBL put over Chavo Guerrero clean on that show). Michaels had no problem losing, but told Mysterio, that everyone in wrestling tells you it doesn’t matter if you win or lose, but that’s the biggest lie in all of wrestling. He told him he would only lose to certain people at a certain level, and by beating him, he considers Mysterio now in that elite level, and that at that level you should protect who you lose to, and it should only be to people of that level.

Who would Jesus job to?