Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question about Kane. I'm currently watching USWA 1997 and Kane is Doomsday there. He kinda looked like a modern version of Lord Humongus down to the mask. If memory serves me right, the Kane character was first talked about in April 1997 when Glenn Jacobs was still Fake Diesel. Did WWF always plan to have him play Kane or were they thinking about picking someone else? It would have been interesting to see them bring him in as Doomsday instead of Kane.

And Justin Credible being named "PG187" as the third member of PG13 doing the same gimmick before he started in ECW was funny. He was dressed like Konnan in the early days of the gimmick.

According to Paul Bearer, it was always meant for Glenn Jacobs to be Kane. I think he was Doomsday to prepare for the Kane gimmick.

One of my favorite moments of the Tony/Jesse pairing was before Flair/Rude at Havoc '93.

Flair gets the Michael Buffer intro and fireworks.

Jesse: "ALL OF THIS FOR THE CHALLENGER?"

Kind of a "you had to be there" thing, but the timing of it was priceless. Anyway, I still swear I heard a fraction of a second of laughter from Tony before he had to mute his mic.

Genuinely excited for the release of No Holds Barred on DVD on July 3rd. I have a pretty big DVD collection & I have been wanting that movie for years. Joan Severance was like my first crush ever. Not because of this movie, more because of the Scorpions "Rhythm of Love" music video, but she was in a movie with Hulk Hogan & I was a wrestling mark.

Important lesson learned at training today.

Leapfrog spot wih tall guy who can't duck down super far (me) + short guy who can't jump very high = recipe for disaster :)

I empathize, because I had the exact same thing happen to me. Less explicable was that the reverse happened as well: I also can't jump very high and the short guy seemed mysteriously incapable of ducking down super far. Both of us were involved on both ends of more groin-to-skull collisions than I care to remember. The only way I finally made it work was to go half a step to the side and swing one leg way high over the dude, which promptly got me mocked for "doing Wolfie D-style leapfrogs". On the less funny side, my partner picked himself up a pretty bad concussion, complete with constricted vision and everything. I dunno how he did that by repeatedly ramming his head into my junk, but somehow it happened.

Leapfrog spot wih tall guy who can't duck down super far (me) + short guy who can't jump very high = recipe for disaster :)

I empathize, because I had the exact same thing happen to me. Less explicable was that the reverse happened as well: I also can't jump very high and the short guy seemed mysteriously incapable of ducking down super far. Both of us were involved on both ends of more groin-to-skull collisions than I care to remember. The only way I finally made it work was to go half a step to the side and swing one leg way high over the dude, which promptly got me mocked for "doing Wolfie D-style leapfrogs". On the less funny side, my partner picked himself up a pretty bad concussion, complete with constricted vision and everything. I dunno how he did that by repeatedly ramming his head into my junk, but somehow it happened.

That could be your gimmick: Dude with junk of steel!

That could be your gimmick: Dude with junk of steel!

Eh, Human Tornado already did it. And oddly, a never-ending running joke with a local manager (TNA's Athena) was her propensity for nut-shotting me every time the opportunity arose.

You wanna know the best fuck up I ever had? Armdrag drills... I hit one, he hits one, I hit one, etc... anyway, at some point, I think we'd done about 10/15 each, we forgot who was bumping and who was hitting, and we both took the bump. Now, here's the thing, it felt no different to either of us, we didn't know anything had happened 'til we bumped and they laughed, and by all accounts both of our movements in the air looked like a guy getting armdragged (albeit more angled than a straight flip bump). The worst part is, try as we might, we could never do it again, it would've been a great comedy stand-off spot.

Heh, yeah that would be hilarious, I don't think I've ever seen it. Like a goofy comedic version of both guys trying for a dropkick.

Although, hey wait a minute, I just thought of something: when guys do a "simultaneous attempted dropkick" spot, they always complete the turn and land on their stomachs. But, uh, that's wrong. In a missed dropkick, you're supposed to jump straight up and then fall straight down on your back. The entire psychological point of turning on the dropkick is supposed to be that you're propelling yourself off your opponent's body with your feet, and you turn to catch yourself on your hands so the bump doesn't hurt. Heck, I think Pillman even explained that in an Apter interview once. So why the hell do both guys always turn and facebump on a double missed dropkick spot?

By the same way a guy can take a monkey flip/backdrop/hip-toss/etc and counter by landing on his feet; he's athletic and has sufficient body control to do so. There're some spots where that idea does apply, but I don't think that's the best example.

Yeah, but on EVERY single double-missed-dropkick spot? That would be as if the wrestlers inevitably countered every single other move you named. It's just yet another spot that makes no damn sense; sadly, it's not like wrestling isn't full of those.

I think the double clothesline in worse; especially when, as is most often the case, guys jump into it to get the big bump.

The thing with dropkicks is, with a few exceptions of course, it's not as if guys jump up straight, hit the dropkick and turn, they often jump up sideways leading with the higher leg, and so they're already turning onto their front; it would actually be more athletically remarkable if they were to jump up that way and turn against themselves in the air and land on their back again.

The thing with dropkicks is, with a few exceptions of course, it's not as if guys jump up straight, hit the dropkick and turn, they often jump up sideways leading with the higher leg, and so they're already turning onto their front; it would actually be more athletically remarkable if they were to jump up that way and turn against themselves in the air and land on their back again.

Which in itself leads to another plot hole, if we accept that guys are already turning before they even make contact: why the hell do most (non-double) missed dropkick spots end with the guy not turning and landing on his back?