Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they could still make an awesome character out of Doink, especially in the PG era. Start him out as the ultra babyface version of Doink and then start to do a slowburn on him becoming more and more of a psycho clown. Doubt they could find anyone as good as Matt Borne to pull it off, but it could work.

Posting this here in case no someone didnt read the Wednesday Wrestling Observer news update:

Mark James has a kickstarter project for a book called "Memphis Wrestling History presents 1977," to help fund the project including traveling to meet the wrestling stars from that year. It will be his 9th wrestling book. You can check out his prior books at www.memphiswrestlingbook.com and kickstarter project funding notice at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/memphi...sents?ref=email

Sounds pretty awesome.

Posting this here in case no someone didnt read the Wednesday Wrestling Observer news update:

Mark James has a kickstarter project for a book called "Memphis Wrestling History presents 1977," to help fund the project including traveling to meet the wrestling stars from that year. It will be his 9th wrestling book. You can check out his prior books at www.memphiswrestlingbook.com and kickstarter project funding notice at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/memphi...sents?ref=email

Sounds pretty awesome.

I am in on this. 1982 in Memphis is one of my favorite wrestling books ever.

RoH is terrible in every stretch of the word. Their tv show just fails on every level imaginable. The squashes are too long, the announcing is terrible, the promos are awful and even the format is bad. They throw in a couple of matches in a row and then throw 3 or 4 promos back to back on you. It just makes for a really tedious experience.

And Davey Richards is just an ass. His "wrestling is super serious guys" shit is just boring as hell. I'm being honest here, Kevin Steen stuffing his face with cake a fan gave him after winning the title was more interesting than anything Davey has ever done.

Honestly, NWA Anarchy, OVW and NWA Hollywood put on much better television than RoH does.

I honestly don't see why so many people have such hatred for ROH. I don't think the TV is horrible, the announcing was terrible at first but Kevin and Nigel seem to have got their acts together in terms of being an old school straight announcer/ex wrestler color man team. Neither guy is the second coming of Gordon of course, but better than what WWE and TNA offer most weeks.

I'll grant you the formatting is a little odd, having the big "Inside ROH" promo block in the middle of the show like that. I get that they are trying to get guys a chance to show personality to the viewers, but putting it in one block like that just makes it fast forward material.

Davey to me seems like the John Cena of ROH. He doesn't bother me nearly as much as he seems to bother practically everyone else, I just figured that his gimmick was a weeaboo type who favored Japanese pro wrestling rather than like , anime or whatever. He seems like a guy who just watched puro tapes 24/7 without understanding any cultural differences why guys act all stoic and shit. Also I agree Steen celebrating his title win by stuffing his face with cake was by far the best thing they've done so far.

But yeah, I have ROH TV on my weekly DVR rotation and I don't really see why it gets hated on so much. Best I can gather is that it seems like some people are still holding on to the days where Joe, Punk, and Danielson were regulars and of course nothing today is going to compare to that.

Even Dave was comparing Spike's investment with TNA to Sinclair/ROH as proof that perhaps they aren't into ROH for the long run. Of course ROH's production values are going to be less, Spike is part of the Viacom empire which is worth billions. They have the capital to prop up a money losing wrestling venture. Sinclair's earnings are less than $100 million. Not chump change, but they have less room to work with in terms of how much they can burn. Could ROH TV use an upgrade? Sure, but it doesn't seem fair to compare to TNA when they are bankrolled by someone who probably has the net worth of Sinclair lost in their couch cushions.

It just doesn't work for me and I don't understand how much smaller promotions put on better television with better production. That's really been my problem with RoH for a long time. They don't invest in their product. It took them something like 6 years to properly mic the arenas so you could actually hear what guys were saying in promos. The tv show is an extension of that as it's barely better than cable access wrestling.

I've tried to watch the show a lot but it's just not interesting. I end up skipping most of the show due to the crappy format. I do okay through the first couple of matches then hit the talkfest and usually turn it off because I get bored. Then I forget about it for the next 2 months. They don't do any kind of angles that make you want to watch next week.

And I don't compare it to TNA. I compare it to NWA Hollywood. A smaller promotion that has better production values and an overall better television show.

Kenny King, current RoH Tag Team Champion, was working without a contract and appeared on TNA Impact tonight. He won his match and it would be hilarious if they sign him right up and RoH has to vacate the titles. Who puts belts on workers not under contract these days?

Happy Birthday, Sek. Thanks for all the un-bannings at Dragonlair after Anvil & I clowned on Tails' mullet and Milhouses terrible drawings. You're old and busted. :-)

Darn, looks like I missed it. Sek's a top man, been keeping me lol'ing for more than ten years now.

Anyone buy the No Holds Barred DVD?

I bought it Tuesday and I loved it as much as I did when I was a kid. I really loved all the stuff involving the fighting, the romantic stuff seemed really tacked on. Even by action movie standards.

I think the reason I loved it so much as a kid is that it was an 80s action film, made especially for kids.

I have no real desire to see it myself, but it did become a source of amusement when I later looked it up on IMDB, and found out the actor who played Hulk's brother would later play one of the muscle-bound henchmen in The Big Lebowski (was also in a bit part in Lethal Weapon 2 and had a substantial role on the 2nd season of Dexter).

UHF and No Holds Barred picked a bad summer to come out in. Between Batman, Ghostbusters 2 and Indiana Jones 3.

Any summer for No Holds Barred would have been a bad summer. Only Vince thought it has any chance of making money.

UHF needed to be a sleeper, and probably in March or October. Even then, the odds were long. It also was one that folks didn't think had Big Hit written all over it.

John

UHF and No Holds Barred

two pieces of shit

You shut your filthy whorish mouth about Weird Al's masterpiece, yo! That is a tremendously fun movie. No Holds Barred WISHES it was half as entertaining as UHF.

I'm a stoner and I think UHF stinks, and it was made for me. Granted, I also think Weird Al stinks. I LIKE the guy, and I think he's a great guy, and I think "artists" who don't want him to spoof them are the worst full of themselves talentless fucks...but he stinks. Sure, "Eat It" was funny when I was 13...but that's about it.

And No Holds Barred sucks. I mean, if you have fond memories of it..that's cool..but it DOES suck. I love Ernest Goes To Camp..and that sucks.

I love Ernest Goes To Camp..and that sucks.

No you think it is good and are lying to yourself.

There is a lot I enjoy about the movie. I thought it did a good job building to the fight at the end, which is all that matters in action movie. It has some pacing issues, with too much shit that does not involve Zeus or Rip destroying things.

I love the movie and I'm not going to pretend I don't think its good. It has some problems, but generally it had its heart in the right place. I love it for the movie it was trying to be.