Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

My biggest problem with Silas Young, I've said it in this very thread, is that he doesn't wrestle like his character. An aerial move for that guy should be a dropkick. He has a great character and I love that he isn't afraid to just have the fans hate him but holy shit dude, think about what you do in the ring.

Yeah and all the injuries he has had over the past few years really hurt his athleticism. He should pretty much just be a punch/kick asshole with a mustache at this point. Which, like you said, fits the character anyhow.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My biggest problem with Silas Young, I've said it in this very thread, is that he doesn't wrestle like his character. An aerial move for that guy should be a dropkick. He has a great character and I love that he isn't afraid to just have the fans hate him but holy shit dude, think about what you do in the ring.

Yeah and all the injuries he has had over the past few years really hurt his athleticism. He should pretty much just be a punch/kick asshole with a mustache at this point. Which, like you said, fits the character anyhow.

Lariat for a finisher and he'd be gold.

Lariat for a finisher and he'd be gold.

He should bring back the “Stan Hansen’s nephew” gimmick, then.

I wonder if part of the reason for that is because he's wrestling in front of the "smart" (but really dumb as rocks) ROH audience, who expects everyone be a "good worker" (meaning, wrestle in an indy-riffic spot monkey style). I'd love to see him re-molded in NXT, where Triple H and the trainers there would be smart enough to re-calibrate his style.

I thought it was a fun episode of ROH TV this week, with Dalton as champion feeling nicely different. I thought the opening segment was pretty entertaining, but without the comedy being too forced and over the top, and with a nice balance between funny and serious. Already setting up Lethal and Punishment Martinez as contenders is nice, rather than going straight for the Cody rematch immediately.

I like Silas Young, but agree with all the points above - there is that disconnect with his character - who should be a bar brawler, and then throwing in moonsaults and convoluted ways of hitting knee strikes, which feels like what a guy like him should rail against.

The Briscoes are fantastic in everything they do, and remain one of the acts that fell most 'real' in wrestling, Them against the Guns should be fun, and it actually feels like a long time since they've had the ROH tag titles, unless there's a run I'm forgetting.

The main event was an exciting match, and when you get Marty away from the Bucks, who bring out his worst tendencies. Since he's been in ROH his TV singles matches have been pretty strong.

For all of the great things I hear about the Briscoes, it's a shame they probably torpedoed their big league chances by acting like backward homophobes. No sympathy from me though. They deserve to be marginalized to the indy ghettos of wrestling for the rest of their careers.

• 2 weeks later...

Another pretty fun ROH TV last week. The Jay Lethal vs Will Ospreay match was very good, but even more infuriating in a way, given how much ROH barely used Ospreay in 2017 and now I think he's done with the company. I know he had Japan commitments, and I'm glad on a personal level that he's still over here in the UK somewhat regularly, but talk about dropping the ball.

The main event was fun as well, and so far - and I know it's only a couple of weeks into his run - but Dalton Castle on top feels really fresh and intriguing.

The one thing I didn't enjoy was the Joe Koff segment. Not only does he have terrible delivery, and the promo with him and The Addiction involved not-so-subtle name checks of WWE and Impact, one of the things that's genuinely refreshing about ROH is not having on screen authority figures getting constantly involved. I hope this is not the start of things to come.

A slight drop off in quality from ROH TV last week, but still decent, and overall the show seems to have better energy at the moment than a year or so ago.

The main event was fun, if fairly throwaway, but to me the most interesting point is that after trying for so long to push against the wishes of most of the crowd by presenting Bullet Club as heels, when most people are cheering them, they look to be putting Cody up against Matt Taven and The Kingdom and then the Bucks/Adam Page up against The Addiction/Scorpio Sky. The Kingdom/The Addiction are heel acts that the crowd actually dislikes, so should make for a less jarring experience than trying to get fans that are eating up what Bullet Club are doing with a spoon as bad guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the stream from last week and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Was really odd feeling to see the Bullet Club wrestle as pure babyfaces, but I think as they work out the kinks it'll work much better than trying to make them heels.

Interesting that the Young Bucks have based the two 2018 matches I've seen (this and Wrestle Kingdom) on body part selling. Again, feels a bit weird, but I think it's a positive to see them make a commitment to finding ways to vary their matches. It'll pay off long-term.

I like Emma well enough, but why is she wearing Danny Devito's gloves from Batman Returns? Looks like she shuffled through Scurll's gear and came back with the scraps.

I see this a lot with current indie guys lately, and I'm not even sure which side of the fence I fall on, to be honest. Is it better to hang back until you have something more defined in mind to fit your character, or is it worth looking REALLY stupid just to stand out and appear somewhat unique? Almost feels like a lot of guys are leaning toward the latter & trying way too hard.

Watched the stream from last week and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Was really odd feeling to see the Bullet Club wrestle as pure babyfaces, but I think as they work out the kinks it'll work much better than trying to make them heels.

Interesting that the Young Bucks have based the two 2018 matches I've seen (this and Wrestle Kingdom) on body part selling. Again, feels a bit weird, but I think it's a positive to see them make a commitment to finding ways to vary their matches. It'll pay off long-term.

It sure was weird but I thought Matt Jackson did a pretty darn good job in that match vs Best Friends. To the point I wondered if he was actually legit hurt. Like you said, it can only be good for the Bucks to use another structure to build their matches once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Burning through a lot of last year's shows on the streaming service. Really liking Colt Cabana on color. You can really the feel the difference in when the New Japan guys are there v. when they're not. Just totally changes the depth of the show.

Colt and Ian Riccaboni are my favourite announce team out there at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I passed over the NJ anniversary show because the card didn't do anything for me. However, I just saw that the ROH anniversary show had Sumie Sakai, the 46 years old great self. I haven't watched a Sakai match in over 15 years most probably. I'm so watching this, at the very least.

Ok, so at 46, Sumie Sakai hasn't aged a bit and still rules in the ring as a true to the master Jaguar Yokota student.

EDIT (the following is me fooling myself) But then, her opponent is named Hana Kimura so I just realize that she's infact Bison's daughter. The fact Bison Kimura's daughter became a pro-wrestler and is a bitchy heel to boot just made my pro-wrestling fan day. With the make-up, she really looks like her mother at times.

Ok, so at 46, Sumie Sakai hasn't aged a bit and still rules in the ring as a true to the master Jaguar Yokota student.

But then, her opponent is named Hana Kimura so I just realize that she's infact Bison's daughter. The fact Bison Kimura's daughter became a pro-wrestler and is a bitchy heel to boot just made my pro-wrestling fan day. With the make-up, she really looks like her mother at times.

I believe she's actually Kyoko Kimura's daughter. Hope that doesn't spoil the day though.

So I wonder is Impact working with ROH now after the Aries deal last night? I suppose it makes sense since Don Callis is an executive there and does announcing still for New Japan, maybe ROH is playing ball with their partners?

I'd say it's more likely that each company booking Aries as he collects belts knows that it will attract more attention to themselves, but it would be absolutely foolish to not think that the bridge has been repaired now.

So, what belts does he have now?

-Defiant Wrestling Defiant championship

-IPW UK World championship

-Impact World championship

-Impact Grand championship

-WSW Heavyweight championship

He's now throwing in for the ROH TV title and, if it's created, the MLW Middleweight title. It also wouldn't surprise me to see him get the XWA Heavyweight championship once he challenges for it.