Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

The Castle-Lethal main event was fantastic as well despite some iffy moments. I mean, seriously, Jay Lethal, just sell the German Suplex off the apron. Is that so much to ask? That aside, Castle was a great house of fire babyface and the two really brought a real sense of aggression and urgency that I've found lacking in a lot of Ring of Honor stuff for a long time.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a question to ponder. Do the Boys add or detract to Dalton Castle title reign ? I went to the Nashville TV tapings with 3 other guys. Two are just very causal fans and were never expose to ROH until they attended this event.

One guy though the Boys were a great comedy act . The other guy was really annoyed by the Boys ringside antics . Both admit to me they were so distracted by the Boys antics they did not focus on the match in the ring.

Is Castle better off without the Boys ? i don't know. The Boys do seemed to take the focus off Castle 's ring work .

Just a question to ponder. Do the Boys add or detract to Dalton Castle title reign ? I went to the Nashville TV tapings with 3 other guys. Two are just very causal fans and were never expose to ROH until they attended this event.

One guy though the Boys were a great comedy act . The other guy was really annoyed by the Boys ringside antics . Both admit to me they were so distracted by the Boys antics they did not focus on the match in the ring.

Is Castle better off without the Boys ? i don't know. The Boys do seemed to take the focus off Castle 's ring work .

Ultimately, there is a need for Castle to tone down the comedy a bit in order to work as an ROH world champion given the "serious" way ROH promotes their champ. I don't think that means he can't have the Boys, but they might need to be used less frequently. I also wish they'd cut it with the six man tags... the Boys are portrayed so weakly that it really drags the matches down and seems like it hurts Castle's champion aura a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

ROH COO Joe Koff says Supercard of Honor XII will be a 6,000-person sellout with Cody vs. Omega as the main event. If that's true and not corporate BS and fudging the numbers, it's impressive. I do think he and Cody are deluded about ROH being "cool" though. It's not IMO. That doesn't mean it isn't good, but "cool" isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2018/3/30/17182230/ring-of-honor-coo-joe-koff-talks-supercard-sellout-new-japan-relationship-impact-daniel-bryan-more

Yeah. You remove The Elite stuff and you have a card that would be lucky to do 1,500 people.

Having gone to a couple of ROH shows in the last few months, the difference in energy for stuff involving the Elite and the stuff that does not is palpable. ROH is really dependent on them. I think they realize that - they position all those guys well and are starting to build the TV show around the Bullet Club drama.

Yeah. You remove The Elite stuff and you have a card that would be lucky to do 1,500 people.

Having gone to a couple of ROH shows in the last few months, the difference in energy for stuff involving the Elite and the stuff that does not is palpable. ROH is really dependent on them. I think they realize that - they position all those guys well and are starting to build the TV show around the Bullet Club drama.

Delirious tends to ruin whatever he touches so it doesn't surprise me the stuff he has the least control over is doing the best.

I don't want to get political here, but this is news that indirectly pertains to ROH.

Sinclair Broadcasting, which owns ROH, has been forcing "local" news anchors to read the same viewpoints from the same script, thereby missing the point of local news entirely and stripping viewers of a truly free and independent press.

The video is pretty chilling to watch.

Could this stink potentially affect ROH? They're mentioned in the second link.

https://www.newsandguts.com/sinclair-broadcasting-clear-present-danger/

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-americas-largest-local-tv-owner-turned-its-news-anc-1824233490

I don't want to get political here, but this is news that indirectly pertains to ROH.

Really, really indirectly. Sinclair has been an overtly right wing company for like, ever and has owned ROH since 2011. I mean, *Dalton Castle* is their champ now - Sinclair's politics certainly don't seem to be seeping into ROH's product. If Jay Lethal starts giving MAGA editorials instead of the knee brace ads, maybe there's a wrestling story here, but I doubt it.

Right, but being associated with these scumbags doesnt do them any favors, either.

WWE are own by scumbags who financed Donald Trump's campaign and actually take an active part in his governement (yeah, I know, Linda isn't involved with WWE anymore, but that's beside the point). That's a lot worse, really.

(maybe this should be moved in the Industrial Suplex)

Not really, WWE keeps their scumbaggery to their own little world and don't have hundreds of local news anchors reading off scripts of WWE talking points. Linda's in the administration but it's a position literally no one cared about or heard of before she was named for it.

Sinclair has used their influence to try to affect the last several Presidential elections (and it can be argued they helped torpedo John Kerry with their endless hammering of the Swift Boat issue), which is a far bigger issue than having Vince's wife run the SBA.

Not to make light of the discussions above, but just to touch on the actual ROH onscreen product, I thought that this weeks go home promo between Cody and Kenny Omega was pretty compelling, although Omega looking like he was trying not to laugh through some of his parts did take you out of the moment. I wouldn't say either of these two are my favourite guys in the business, and I know a lot of people find the Bullet Club shenanigans a turn off (although given the attendance we are getting at Supercard of Honor it clearly works for a lot of people) but I'm really intrigued to see their match and where they are going with this Bullet Club civil war angle. I know it has echoes of the nWo stuff in 98, but think the storyline has been much more compelling than that, with it seemingly based on personal emotion and motivations rather than what colour t-shirt you are wearing.

I also really enjoyed the Mayu Iwitani vs Deonna Purazzo match in the WOH tournament. Deonna is really good, and I'm gutted she's been eliminated. I'd kind of fantasy booked in my mind her finally getting the win over Kelly Klein in the semis and then going over the established name in Tenille in the final to give her the big boost, so disappointed she's out as I thought it was the best story to go with in the tournament.

I don't watch ROH, because I don't care about NJPW.

Them being run by scumbags sucks too.

WWE is also run by scumbags. There seems to be some hope with them being less scummy in the future, but they are still scummy.

Wrestling, movies, music, football, etc... etc.. are hard to follow if you want to avoid the scum.

I think all I ask is that you at least try to not be obvious about your scum and if something comes up you do the right thing.

Wrestling, movies, music, football, etc... etc.. Human beings hard to follow if you want to avoid the scum.

There. Corrected.

;)

WWE is also run by scumbags. There seems to be some hope with them being less scummy in the future,

With Stephy "Charity is good PR" McMahon at the helm ? Hum…

Wrestling, movies, music, football, etc... etc.. Human beings hard to follow if you want to avoid the scum.

There. Corrected.

;)

WWE is also run by scumbags. There seems to be some hope with them being less scummy in the future,

With Stephy "Charity is good PR" McMahon at the helm ? Hum…

The women aren't in bra and pantie matches each week on tv. Concussion protocols. Some what drug testing. Swann and Enzo are gone.

There is a glimmer of hope, none of those things would had existed in the past.

The women aren't in bra and pantie matches each week on tv. Concussion protocols. Some what drug testing. Swann and Enzo are gone.

There is a glimmer of hope, none of those things would had existed in the past.

I don't know how much of this is actually Stephy & Paul (because that's how you gotta call his corporate self) though. Vince is still at the helm. Yeah, it's a bit better, but tbh they were so far behind that's it's more them somewhat catching up to society than actually being "progressive". But hey, we're taking about pro-wrestling...

So maybe the XFL Redux is a good idea after all. ;) (I had no idea about the NFL, I don't watch sports in general, so, american-only sports, you can only guess how much I care about that. The only knowledge I have of american football is LT, Steve McMicheal and the guys who showed up in WCW from time to time. And Ron Simmons, because JR would never shut the fuck up about college sports.)

One thing is clear, TriPaul is much better at presenting women's wrestling than Vince ever was. He never really had interest and was quick to kill the division on multiple occasions. Even if it was just a reaction to women's MMA taking off, NXT was the place where WWE women's style finally evolved past being one or two decent workers and the rest being pretty girls who couldn't do anything. He clearly has a more nuanced view of wrestling than Vince, but since most people's memories are from the ridiculousness that went on in the Attitude Era he comes off looking like Bernie Sanders by comparison.

One thing is clear, TriPaul is much better at presenting women's wrestling than Vince ever was. He never really had interest and was quick to kill the division on multiple occasions. Even if it was just a reaction to women's MMA taking off, NXT was the place where WWE women's style finally evolved past being one or two decent workers and the rest being pretty girls who couldn't do anything. He clearly has a more nuanced view of wrestling than Vince, but since most people's memories are from the ridiculousness that went on in the Attitude Era he comes off looking like Bernie Sanders by comparison.

I think that's a little unfair. Pre-Attitude era he did give divisions a legit shot. Madusa left with the belt when they were treating it seriously and it kind of fizzled out in the late 1980s. But he was never afraid to let good workers go out there and put on a show with some time.