Pro Wrestling Only

Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

Mercury Rising was up against an absurd amount of competition, with NXT headlined by Nakamura, ROH headlined by Hardys and Young Bucks, and CZW with an absolutely loaded Best of the Best show. Hopefully, next year companies are more careful about shows in that Saturday at 8 PM slot if that is where NXT plans to run, as HHH already showed when he poached Drew Galloway from WWN's main event what happens when you run against his baby. Even with 70,000 wrestling fans in the area, there are still only so many hardcore wrestling fans who are out there and available to attend indie shows that weekend, and only so many different ways they can be split before one or more shows are hurt.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really doubt HHH took Drew because he was going to be in the main event of a tiny show at the same time as NXT. If they had him on the show and then in the ring a few days later, that means they were in contact with him weeks/month+ ago to have time to do all the physicals and get the results back.

There were rumors Drew was coming back with guys like Shelton, Jinder, Hawkins at the start of the draft last Summer.

So, I couldn''t sleep and caught a bit of ROH here and there on the new Comet Roku channel (which is utterly pointless as a streaming option, BTW, because it has only a "live" feed and nothing else - but, hey, at least it's free).

There were two episodes from midnight to 2 a.m. I assume they're the most recent ones, but who knows.

I only saw a couple of random bits, and I'm pretty tired, so my views might be a bit skewed and maybe sharper than warranted.

On the first show, I caught some kind of parking lot attack between a Bullet Club member and I think Frankie Kazarian. It was amateurishly shot and involved a bullrope or something of the sort, but the one thing I liked was that an off-screen passerby was popping his horn during the attack and the Bullet Club attacker ran off, which is probably how this ridiculous scenario would play out in real life. Nice attention to detail there. Otherwise, this makes the Bullet Club look super bush league. You'd think they were the cream of the crop based on their internet rep, but this show does them no favors.

Then I caught the tail-end of the second episode - the main event for the pointless and poorly-named Six-Man Tag Team Titles (there aren't six men per team, so it's always sounded bad to me - even when WCW did it). The match: The Kingdom (who look like a bush league science experiment gone wrong involving Enzo, Zack Ryder, and Scotty 2 Hotty) and "The Last Real Man" Silas Young (more on him below) vs. The Briscoe Brothers (disheveled-looking white trash types, and one of them is apparently a major homophobic asshole? - yeah, it's easy to see why WWE never gave them a serious sniff) and "Bully" Ray (who was absolutely terrible here, and has been for a while now). The only guy I liked in the match was "The Last Real Man," who I think has the potential to be a cult favorite in NXT.

The entire venue looked really second-rate. All the blue curtains did was make it look like a bingo hall wearing a wedding dress.

What talent? :)

Seriously though, Anderson is a guy who seemed interesting for a hot second but never expanded his shtick or wrestling ability from the most basic level, in any way. The idea that he would be getting work in 2017 is crazy to me, let alone with ROH of all places.

• 2 weeks later...

I was live at the ROH show last night in Toronto.

Really a bunch of nothing matches with Jay Lethal vs Kushida being pretty good, about 3 stars. The main event was Omega//Young Bucks vs Daniels/Kazarian/Tanahashi. Just a spot fest with bad comedy and sloppyness and two million super kicks. If you like that, you'll like this.

They should do the pick a name out of the hat and have Cheeseburger win the world title.

Really a bunch of nothing matches with Jay Lethal vs Kushida being pretty good, about 3 stars. The main event was Omega//Young Bucks vs Daniels/Kazarian/Tanahashi. Just a spot fest with bad comedy and sloppyness and two million super kicks. If you like that, you'll like this.

They should do the pick a name out of the hat and have Cheeseburger win the world title.

Kenny in Young Bucks mode is actually even worse than the Young Bucks. When you see him go from Okada/Ishii matches to tagging with Bullet Club members, it's almost embarrassing how little effort he puts in.

The New Japan guys, in my experience, are pretty checked out on the ROH house shows. Going to the PPV on Friday and hoping the effort is a bit better.

Thought the show was fine last night, but nothing particularly stuck out.

Scurll in Bullet Club doesn't make a ton of sense to me, as the character has been portrayed as a loner.

Scurli's logo reveal and the booting of Cole played like a bad NWO angle.

Thought the show was fine last night, but nothing particularly stuck out.

Scurll in Bullet Club doesn't make a ton of sense to me, as the character has been portrayed as a loner.

Scurli's logo reveal and the booting of Cole played like a bad NWO angle.

So you mean the Bullet Club then

I went to tonight's ROH TV tapings in Philadelphia. It was a decent show, some good stuff and some crap. It was also five fucking hours long. On a work night. On fucking Mother's Day. I don't ever want to go to a five hour wrestling show, let alone one after I ate lunch with my mom and then have to work the next day, I don't care how good the show was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...