Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-06-USWA-Memphis TV] Dustin Rhodes and Gary Young promos

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Dustin Rhodes is doing his Duth-Tay voice. Gary Young, seemingly fresh off of playing Ronald McDonald for Halloween, responds and does a really good promo. He calls Dustin an abortion that somehow survived. I will avoid jokes about constitutional rights, as much as I don't want to.

Gary, equal opportunitist for pre- and post-natal murder, also chides Dusty for not Benoit-ing his kid when he had the chance. I can't believe how long and in how many areas Dustin did his Dusty imitation before finally deciding or being told to talk like a normal human being, which was a step that did wonders for him.

Dustin's really green on promos, not just with the Dusty impersonation, but just in general doesn't really seem to know what to say. Gary Young's promo is pretty remarkably sleazy, but awesome. The abortion line seems shocking in 2012, but maybe in a less politically correct era it wasn't? In any event, hard not to root for Gary Young after this one.

Wow Dustin is young here. I'm not familiar with Memphis or USWA but was Lawler meant to be a heel at this stage?

Gary Young gives a good scumbag bullying older heel promo here with some very, very dark undertones. "You was the mistake that shoulda never happened".

On no planet and in no state, however, should Young be considered "gorgeous".

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What color was Gary going for here? Im assuming red but it did not come out quite right. I like that he just pretends it looks cool. Ive had to do that a time or two after errant dye jobs. Im now doing the occasional Just for Men, which Im sure Gary Young is no stranger to either

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

All Dustin needed to imitate his dad perfectly was an "in pulic, eef you wheel". Young's heel promo was nothing out of the ordinary, though I agree that the abortion references would never fly today. If this had been three years later and Vince was working with the USWA, Dusty might have come down to help Dustin defend the family honor. As it is, why mention him at all? I guess being Dusty's son was still Dustin's main drawing card back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm watching USWA TV. God, it's so refreshing to have Lawler as a heel and actually being FUN at it ! Hey, King, remember when you were really fucking good at the booth ?
Dustin emulating his father in promos was not good. That being said, he was already quite the decent worker in the ring, as green as he was then. Gary Young's hair are, well, red. Bright red. He looks sleazy as hell and delivers the promo that goes along with his look.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jerry Lawler has fallen asleep at the commentary desk, bored by the Dustin Rhodes and Gary Young footage that they've just aired ('watching Dustin Rhodes is about exciting as watching grass grow'!). Dustin appears to have developed a lisp and is doing a full on Dusty impression including telling Young that they're going to see how 'funky' he can get in Memphis on Monday night. This battle has gone on long enough and he's going to finish it!

Back in the studio, and Lawler says if they had an Olympic sport for stupidity Dustin would win all the gold medals! He also thinks that Young will in the bout in about 15 seconds! Young's hair is bright red and he tells Dustin that he's 'an abortion that made a mistake and lived'! Decent little promo from Young by I can't take my eyes off that hair!

• 7 months later...

Lawler asleep at the desk is the first of many laughs he's going to throw up in USWA this year. He even fires off two great lines about Dustin who is cultivating that great Dusty impression already. Gary Young's hair is something else; like a comedy CAW from Smackdown 2 though his promo is solid, albeit with an edgy line about him being an abortion survivor. A pretty perfect sleaze heel promo.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-06-USWA-Memphis TV] Dustin Rhodes and Gary Young promos