Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-30-USWA Texas] Jimmy Valiant vs Billy Joe Travis

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Travis tries to get into Valiant's entrance, dancing and even grabbing the house mic to sing the song. Valiant starts making fun of his singing, which pisses him off. Valiant kisses Marc Lowrance and a lot of other people around the ringside area. Too much funny stuff to list it all here. This match is all clowning, and Travis has an even better sham of a match with Valiant than Lawler had.

Somehow my disc jumped to this chapter when I put it in. Oh well, nothing too out of place. Marc Lowrance faints off of a Jimmy Valiant kiss and I'm surprised he was allowed to enter seminary in Texas after that. All clowning with Travis trying outdo Valiant at everything from his entrance to his counters, and failing each time. Travis comes back with some nice punches, infinitely better-looking than the Boogie Woogie Man's offense, but whiffs on a flying elbow. Valiant is just getting his comeback started when Terry Garvin interferes for the DQ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may end up as my #100 in the top matches thread as it was complete bullshit match but everything was done masterfully and played up as much as they could. Lowrance passing out was amazing and we get some more digs on Terrence being jealous that Valiant kissed him. Billy Joe lamely mimicking everything Valiant did was also awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If there's one thing Jimmy Valiant knows how to do, it's how to get through a match that keeps the crowd entertained without doing a damned thing. This is a master class in that, that I honestly think should be shown in wrestling schools as a way to have an entertaining match that doesn't destroy your body.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Another Memphis special deep in the heart of Texas. I'm surprised Marc went to those lengths to sell one of Valiant's kisses, being a future man of the cloth. As Charles pointed out above, these two have quite the good "nothing" match, with the nothing done so well that it feels like quite a bit. Boogie Woogie almost meets his bullshit match in Terrence Garvin, whose character is much more suited to a cornerperson/manager than to a commentator. Billy Joe contributes his share to the fun by trying to sing Jimmy's theme song, then we have a brief slugfest that ends with Terrence jumping in from behind for the DQ.

I was surprised that the fans of Texas took so well to Jimmy, but it's good that they did, because otherwise this match would have been murder to sit through. As it is, it's a neat way to kill ten minutes.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is my favorite match from the company so far. Honestly, I can't tell when it's Memphis and when it's Texas, so it's all just "Memphis" to me. I thought Terrence Garvin was a lady from the crowd and he and Billy Jo were kissing at one point, so it was just everyone kissing all over the place. Great less is more match here, fully entertaining and great and completely useless from an in ring perspective, which is a compliment.

• 10 months later...

Jimmy Valiant makes his way into the ring and kisses both the ring attendant and the referee (no Tony Falk this time. No doubt knew what was going to happen so hid out in the toilet until after this match was finished!). Travis (who is seconded by Terrance Garvin) mimics Valiant’s dancing and also tried to sing his entrance theme. He starts arguing with a lady in the crowd, then Valiant goes outside and kisses her. Marc Lowrance is the next unfortunate recipient of a kiss from Valiant, but he ends up fainting and falling off his chair! The camera is still on Lowrance so we miss him do something to Travis, however Lowarance says how Garvin is jealous, so we can assume he kissed him too! Garvin goes over to Lowrance and tells him that he hopes he’s got his rabies shots as he’s probably caught something from Valiant kissing him! Travis tries to rally the crowd but they just boo him, and then Jimmy shows him how it’s done. A pelvic thrust to both Travis and Garvin, then after nigh on five minutes they finally lock up.

Valiant is backed up into the corner and Travis goes to hit him, but Valiant moves out of the way and the momentum of the punch sees him fall over, with Travis then claiming Valiant pulled his hair! Lock up and this time it is Travis who is backed up. Valiant motions as if he’s going to deliver a punch himself, Travis ducks, Valiant waits, and when Billy Joe stands back up ‘Handsome’ Jimmy pokes him in the eyes! Wristlock by Valiant, and at every opportunity when the referee is distracted, he pulls Travis’ hair to keep him trapped in the hold. Of course Garvin and Billy Joe complain to the referee about the hair pulling, but the crowd back Valiant up and say there wasn’t any. Travis finally gains a brief advantage and the crowd starts chanting ‘Go Jimmy Go’ to try and encourage Valiant. Travis starts joining in the chant and encouraging the crowd until he realises they are chanting ‘Jimmy’ and not ‘Billy’! A right floors Valiant and then Travis starts doing women’s push ups. He climbs to the top turnbuckle but misses a big elbow. Valiant starts throwing some terribly pulled punches, and when he’s near Garvin, Terrance grabs his foot. Valiant kicks Garvin who takes a fall backwards, but he’s in the ring sharpish to attack Valiant from behind for the DQ. The two of them beat on him until Jeff Jarrett and Bill Dundee make the save.

This was a lot of fun, although I think I prefer the Lawler vs Valiant match which was the same schtick, clowning around affair. Travis was wonderful here, especially with the array of facials and expressions he has. Even when he was trapped in an arm wringer he was selling it fantastically, while his attempt to sing Valiant’s entrance theme had me in stitches. Finish was incredibly lame with a cheap interference DQ, think I would’ve preferred the referee bump, foreign object one to that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been working on putting my USWA Texas stuff on youtube and when I saw this match I *HAD* to stop and watch it and oh man it's SOOO good. Maybe the best "bullshit" match ever and I fucking love me some good bullshit matches.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-03-30-USWA Texas] Jimmy Valiant vs Billy Joe Travis