Pro Wrestling Only

Current WWE

Smack2k

Why not make Reigns like Goldberg? Its so simple. Reigns can't really work and is just a few cool moves and a decent (at times) promo. Let him run through the Ryder's, Slater's, and Young's of the roster. 2 minute matches on Raw and Smackdown. The guy would like even more beast then whatever they are doing with him now.

Knowing WWE they would get bored of it. Remember when they had Ryback squash guys when he debuted and they seemingly got bored of the idea of having him undefeated and now he just tends to lose to anybody.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roman Reigns is already a lot better than Goldberg. Not a good comparison at all.

I completely disagree.

Goldberg was a heck of a pro-wrestler who got better and better. Name a Reigns singles match that would get in Goldberg's top 10. Goldberg had more charisma and presence. The WWE wishes they had a newcomer like Golberg right now.

Why not make Reigns like Goldberg? Its so simple. Reigns can't really work and is just a few cool moves and a decent (at times) promo. Let him run through the Ryder's, Slater's, and Young's of the roster. 2 minute matches on Raw and Smackdown. The guy would like even more beast then whatever they are doing with him now.

That would serve as an admission that WCW once did something that was a good idea, so I'm sure you can see the issue.

Goldberg is better than Reigns is now but for me at least, that has more to do with Goldberg being good & underrated than Reigns being terrible. Goldberg was very good as a squash match wrestler in early 1998. It isn't easy to have strong variety to your matches when none are much more than two minutes but he was doing that with regularity in early 1998. Add in the fact that he had been wrestling for a very short period at the time and there is no question that Goldberg was far more naturally gifted as a wrestler than Reigns. His top matches blow Reigns away but to be fair, Reigns hasn't been given all that many chances.

I did think Reigns looked good on Smackdown in the tag main event. He has enough good, identifiable offense to work as the hot tag partner in a tag team which is probably where he should be at this stage of his career. If he has that ability though, he also probably has enough going to be able to work quality singles matches if they are booked right. That largely means keeping them short (under 10 minutes at least). I doubt they do that though. He doesn't need to be booked like Goldberg and booked to win 2 minute squashes because frankly, Goldberg didn't need to be booked that way. He just needs to be protect a bit right now which isn't a terrible thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-VPbJUTxjA

For me personally, this was the only segment where Roman Reigns looked like "the star" of The Shield. Other times it alternates between Ambrose and Rollins. I'm leaning on Rollins currently, I think he's got every opportunity to be the top heel in WWE for a long time.

That segment was awesome, not just from The Shield. Triple H was on point too, his frustration and desperate attempts to stand in between The Authority and The Shield only to get speared by Reigns was great.

Goldberg is better than Reigns is now but for me at least, that has more to do with Goldberg being good & underrated than Reigns being terrible. Goldberg was very good as a squash match wrestler in early 1998. It isn't easy to have strong variety to your matches when none are much more than two minutes but he was doing that with regularity in early 1998. Add in the fact that he had been wrestling for a very short period at the time and there is no question that Goldberg was far more naturally gifted as a wrestler than Reigns. His top matches blow Reigns away but to be fair, Reigns hasn't been given all that many chances.

Goldberg had a lot of competent individuals to work with as he moved up the card that could make him look good and help pace matches out coupled with his natural ability.

Reigns has the ability but given the strict soft style WWE works as compared to Goldberg in WCW, I don't know how far Reigns can ever progress. I'd even wager he regresses a lot given these limitations. Also outside of someone like Bryan, Rollins or Cesaro there aren't a lot of guys on the main roster that can really cover for Reigns if necessary. Sure you got Itami, Zayne, Owens, and Balor down in NXT but there is no guarantee once they move up to the main roster they get to do what they've done in NXT and in the past.

So, honestly, you've just made a clear cut solid argument why Reigns is NOT the guy you want as your champion right now given how very limited he is in skillset. Also, shit promo material like the one you gave him Friday isn't doing him any favors...

Is it possible that Reigns will still succeed in spite of how terribly he's being booked? Many accounts seem to suggest that he still gets big reactions at house shows. It's logical and perhaps tempting to believe that what we see as bad booking will lead to his failure as a top guy, but is it possible that we're drawing conclusions based on common sense notions that are no longer relevant? With how little contemporary WWE depends on any individual star's power vs. the power of the brand, is it possible that anyone given the right look and enough of a spotlight can anchor the promotion, even if by our standards the spotlight given to him seems actively detrimental to his character?

So Savage is finally getting inducted into the WWE HOF. They'll announce it tonight.

Hogan has to induct him right? Was there any B+ level celebrity he was close to? I could see Choice #1: Hogan, Choice #2: Seth Green.

I bet Lanny inducts him either that or DDP.

So Savage is finally getting inducted into the WWE HOF. They'll announce it tonight.

Hogan has to induct him right? Was there any B+ level celebrity he was close to? I could see Choice #1: Hogan, Choice #2: Seth Green.

Lanny will accept on Savage's behalf, WWE are already teasing that Hogan will induct him.

Lanny will accept on Savage's behalf, WWE are already teasing that Hogan will induct him.

I always forget you need someone to accept for the dead.

Another good one would be Lawler.

I hope Liz goes in with Randy.

As to who would accept the award id say Lanny Poffo but who would induct Randy?

Warrior isnt with us but I suppose they could always ask Flair.

Is it possible that Reigns will still succeed in spite of how terribly he's being booked? Many accounts seem to suggest that he still gets big reactions at house shows. It's logical and perhaps tempting to believe that what we see as bad booking will lead to his failure as a top guy, but is it possible that we're drawing conclusions based on common sense notions that are no longer relevant? With how little contemporary WWE depends on any individual star's power vs. the power of the brand, is it possible that anyone given the right look and enough of a spotlight can anchor the promotion, even if by our standards the spotlight given to him seems actively detrimental to his character?

Certainly Reigns can succeed. I don't know how he would off the top of my head but it's certainly in the realm of possibility. Mizdow has proven it can be done.

The really interesting thing about "common sense" is that a lot of times "common sense" is wrong a lot of times. This could be one of those times where "common sense" is wrong. I seriously doubt it. Then again, I never really equated how they book now factoring in brand power.I made the assumption - perhaps very incorrectly - that they truly have no fucking clue about what to do.

Even if they're going to leverage brand power in their booking so they come up with a cookie cutter formula, eventually at some point it's going to backfire because the big stories in sports are driven by people with personalities. I'd wager that if they continue to give Reigns the kind of material they gave him on Friday eventually the babyface heat Reigns has at shows will turn into dis-interest right down into jeers...

If Reigns was a top guy that didn't talk at all, he might get more over. I imagine people are tired of opening 15 minute dialogues every week. Of course, if he didn't talk, Triple H would just come out & run him down for 15 minutes every week instead, so nothing would change...

Look I know the booking is fucking awful and I acknowledge the main event shit the bed last week.

But really guys did you miss that Bray Wyatt/Dean Ambrose Ambulance Match! I have been ice cold on both guys since this feud has started and they fucking rocked it. THERE WAS AN ACTUAL BABYFACE SHINE! The heel did not take over in 30 seconds. AMBROSE KICKED HIS ASS! Bray had to slam the door of the ambulance on Dean's leg. DEAN SOLD IT THE ENTIRE MATCH! When was the last time this happened! There were awesome hope spots with vicious cutoffs. Ambrose hit the Tenryu punch/chop combo. Did I mention Ambrose sold the leg the entire match. The ambulance dive was awesome because of the selling. So the wrong guy won, but who cares. There was a fucking badass match! Match of the year contender. Easy ****1/2! Lets turns those frowns upside down!

I know you are completely surprised by this but Cena comes out after causing the Authority to come back to power and then causing 3 people to get fired with the same happy go lucky attitude.

God I would hated 2010 - 2014 Cena at the main guy on the first RAW or Smackdown after 9/11. Probably wouldn't have wonder why everyone was so grumpy <_>