Pro Wrestling Only

Current WWE

Smack2k

I think we should talk more about how the Seth Rollins push is not working at all. Does anyone else agree with that sentiment?

Only to a degree, in the sense that Triple H and Stephanie are assuming the focus of The Authority storyline, and Rollins is something of an afterthought. It's not about Rollins being the chosen one and reigning supreme for himself, it's about Rollins being the chosen one so Trips and Steph have the power in their camp.

Rollins is merely an ingredient in the mix at the moment, and not the cake itself, which he should be. But we've seen this kind of shit many times before and it will probably work out eventually. There's a lot of potential in Rollins and WWE is desperate for heels. That's why I only agree to one degree with your sentiment.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we should talk more about how the Seth Rollins push is not working at all. Does anyone else agree with that sentiment?

Why do you say it's not working? He's a chickenshit bitch heel who gets heat. He doesn't have a World Title, so acting like he's already a true main eventer seems a bit premature to me. We've seen this same push a million times before, and while it does have a ceiling, I'd say it's working as well as these types of pushes always have.

This triple threat really has an odd dynamic. When they put Seth over on Raw it reminded me of when they used to put the Smackdown guy over in interpromotional matches as a consolation prize despite being the lesser show.

Rollins as a heel is maybe the most polarizing wrestler around today. For every person who thinks he's great there is one (myself included) who thinks he is otherworldly awful in this role.

He's too umm, I dunno, he's just not really cut out to be a face in WWE it seems to me. He's got a natural air of confidence bordering on arrogance about him. But hey, it worked for CM Punk.

The problem with Rollins is that he seems too likable even doing the heel thing, like he's just a really nice guy who is pretending to be mean instead of someone that actually has a mean streak. He also has yet to have a really strong match as a heel. I don't put that all on him, but I think they would have been much better off making him a singles babyface and giving him a Jeff Hardy-style push.

I've enjoyed Rollins as a heel. I think he's done a pretty great job in that character and held his own on the mic. Certainly some guilt by association as far as being dragged down by some poor storylines involving HHH/Steph, but he hasn't devolved into the self-parody that their recent promos have become. His in-ring is probably a better fit as a babyface, but he's integrating J&J, Show and other shortcuts pretty well at this point. If the goal is headlining with the title heel, I don't think he's at all there yet as the presentation is still too dependent on these other characters.

At this point I think they've done more to solidly establish him as a singles act than either Reigns or Ambrose. I know, you can argue that's a backhanded compliment and not a high standard, but its definitely a statement I didn't expect to be making heading into Mania.

He just has no idea how to work as an actual heel. The Shield masked this, but in the Reigns/Rollins tags, Reigns is clearly the better heel of the two. He sells like Jeff Hardy. His offense is WAY too good for him to try to play chickenshit like Hennig/Michaels. He's an athletic freak. I don't watch him and think "hey, this guy's an asshole" based on what he does in the ring. I think that he's an ubermensch. This is why they gave him Mercury/Noble. Hell, last night they gave him twelve guys to get the heel heat for him.

He's the WWE's AJ Styles, and TNA knew how to use AJ. He just needs to be REALLY GOOD and not go on about it. That's the entire gimmick. "You should like this guy because he's awesome."

But he's Triple H's protege, the best of himself and Shawn all in one, and that means being the insufferable and intelligent heel, even when he constantly betrays this in his work.

He just has no idea how to work as an actual heel. The Shield masked this, but in the Reigns/Rollins tags, Reigns is clearly the better heel of the two. He sells like Jeff Hardy. His offense is WAY too good for him to try to play chickenshit like Hennig/Michaels. He's an athletic freak. I don't watch him and think "hey, this guy's an asshole" based on what he does in the ring. I think that he's an ubermensch. This is why they gave him Mercury/Noble. Hell, last night they gave him twelve guys to get the heel heat for him.

He's the WWE's AJ Styles, and TNA knew how to use AJ. He just needs to be REALLY GOOD and not go on about it. That's the entire gimmick. "You should like this guy because he's awesome."

But he's Triple H's protege, the best of himself and Shawn all in one, and that means being the insufferable and intelligent heel, even when he constantly betrays this in his work.

Great post!

I think we're looking at something of a conflict in the McMahon, in the sense that Hunter views Rollins as the future, whilst Vince has his heart set on Reigns. To that end, the Reigns love could have been the influence in beginning Rollins' main roster singles run as a heel and not a babyface.

But this is why Rollins as a heel works. He's this amazing young talent who HHH is grooming and corrupting. There's been all kinds of great touches in his booking. The way HHH was in his ear to turn him heel and break up The Shield, after The Shield had wiped the mat with Evolution....the "Plan B". Rollins believing all the bullshit HHH was feeding him. The simmering feud with HHH's former chosen one Orton, and how he's kind of gone from cocky bragging but "yea right bud" to "ok, he's getting a real mean streak and starting to back up a lot of the shit he talks".

I think he's been a great heel, and one of the best and most consistently booked characters in the company. Maybe he could beat anybody on any given night, but he'd rather take shortcuts and think he's outthinking everyone, because he's better and smarter than everyone else. He's a heel! That's what heels do. And he's got real heat and whenever he gets his comeuppance in doses the crowd goes wild for it.

I also thought he was booked great on RAW. I thought shoehorning him into the Lesnar-Cena match was odd, but last night sold me on it and has me really interested. They've also done a really good job mixing Heyman in, and his admiration for and buttering up of Rollins has gone back a ways so they've foreshadowed the idea that Heyman might weasel his way into making Rollins his client....because he knows his meal ticket Brock is getting bored with WWE and he's always looking forward

I seem to be in the minority but I think Rollins isn't that bad on the mic. He tends to drone on too much but that may be the writing. With Hunter and Stephanie back he's no longer lead heel either so I think that will potentially hurt his heat. I assume he is working Orton at mania so they probably don't have plans to put the title on him in the next few months. Who does he cash in on? If its Bryan that will get him nuclear heat

The problem with Rollins is that he seems too likable even doing the heel thing,

Don't see this at all - he seems slimy and loathsome to me. He isn't putting in amazing performances, but that is due to the dreadful, regurgative storylines he gets put in and turgid scripts he has to recite.

Whoever is responsible for writing the promos for The Shield has done an utterly terrible job. Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns in particular become more cringeworthy with every monologue. Let them be natural instead if the dreadful attempts at writing humor and exaggerated demeanors they have to put on. There is an argument that neither neither should be talking that much anyway.

The longwinded promos that open Raw every week are among the most repetetive, tedious segments in wrestling history. The same lines and phrases and bullet points getting repeated ad infinitum both week on week and in the same promo. Surely they can try opening the show with a match or a backstage segment or anything that feels propellant and gives the show some forward motion. They want to make unpredictable, must see television and they open every week with virtually the same promo that goes on for what feels like forever.

WWE already have someone like that in Dolph Ziggler and have zero idea how to push him. He is a jobber one week, a plucky underdog the next, a crazy show stealer the next.

He also has yet to have a really strong match as a heel.

The match with John Cena at TLC was superb, the best clusterfuck overbooked main event garbage match they have ran in years.

Rollins/Reigns cant be any worse than Cena/Miz in a World title match in the main event of a Wrestlemania.

The difference was, they had the carrot of The Rock to stop the fans shitting on it. The match was simply a vehicle for setting up the main event the next year. Pretty amazing that the main event of Wrestlemania can be reduced to setting up a later match, but the numbers and interest for Rock/Cena justified it.

My casual fan friends hate Seth as they think he is a total douchebag who just won't quit talking.

So then he must be doing good?

I think part of the problem is folks forgetting heels are (or at least were) supposed to be unlikable, and when someone does that now it's seen as a turnoff. I think it's another log for the idea that the Attitude Era killed wrestling by making it so all heels have to be cool.

I think it all would have been better if Roman Reigns turned on Dean Ambrose & Seth Rollins instead of Seth turning on Dean & Roman.

If Roman was the top, hand picked heel for the Authority, he would have The Authority to talk for him & he wouldn't have to cut promos that are supposed to be funny. Plus his somewhat limited moveset could be protected by the constant interference from The Authority.

Seth could be the Jeff Hardy babyface with the flashy offense. Like Loss said. Then when he's doing babyface offense, at least it would make sense.

I feel like Triple H is trying to make Seth into the new Triple H and it just doesn't fit, for me. He's just going to keep shoving him out there, even if the crowd doesn't accept it.

Rollins/Reigns cant be any worse than Cena/Miz in a World title match in the main event of a Wrestlemania.

The difference was, they had the carrot of The Rock to stop the fans shitting on it. The match was simply a vehicle for setting up the main event the next year. Pretty amazing that the main event of Wrestlemania can be reduced to setting up a later match, but the numbers and interest for Rock/Cena justified it.

You know, they wanted to do HHH in someone's corner vs. Vince in someone's corner for control of WWE last year, then changed plans. Then several months ago Meltzer casually mentioned that that idea might be back in play for this next WM. Reigns w/ Vince vs. Seth w/ HHH and making it totally over the top Attitude throwback with all sorts of run ins and chaos might work. But, if HHH is wrestling Sting, you can't really do that. So put Steph in Seth's corner. I've noticed a bit more affection between them since Seth brought them back.....and HHH was yelling "NO!" when Seth was thinking about curbstomping Brock and Steph was yelling "DO IT!"....and Steph seemed way more pleased than HHH at the end of the show. That could totally work if they wanted to go that direction.

The thing with this Mania is I feel like they could do a 4 man or a 6 pack challenge or a mini tournament with all the guys they have in the top mix now and no clear frontrunners. Every scenario I come up with seems to be leaving at least one guy out in the cold. If they did Reigns vs. Rollins and Bryan vs. Brock where would that leave Cena, Orton and Ambrose? Part of the problem is other than Brock and Rollins they have no top heels. Rusev I guess.....but after those 3.....Miz? Big Show and Kane are top heels.....but they're Big Show and Kane

My casual fan friends hate Seth as they think he is a total douchebag who just won't quit talking.

So then he must be doing good?

I think part of the problem is folks forgetting heels are (or at least were) supposed to be unlikable, and when someone does that now it's seen as a turnoff. I think it's another log for the idea that the Attitude Era killed wrestling by making it so all heels have to be cool.

Maybe but there is a difference between having real heat or channel changing heat. Some of these guys also think Roman Reigns is the best thing going right now.