Pro Wrestling Only

FLIK's spelling

Loss

lol, "thear" ... shittest gimmick in the history of internet wrestling message board posters?

I'm nominating FLIK vs. tigerpride as PWO feud of the year.

Other contenders include:

Dr. Reverend Victator vs. goodhelmet

Jingus vs. Dylan Waco

Dave Meltzer vs. Dylan Waco

anarchistxx vs. Bix and Phil Schneider (possibly 2011, can't remember now)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, because of and have are arbitrary. In any case I recognize the difference. I type very fast and I do not consider it worthy of going back to edit out.

2 + 2 = 4 in 'everyday arithmetic', but 2 + 2 may = 1 in arithmetic modulo 3 for example. 'have' and 'of' may be arbitrary in some theoretical language, but in standard rule-governed english they have widely different meanings, different spellings, and indeed different pronunciations, although in certain phrases dialects may be such that they sound similar! the rules of grammar are not eternally immutable like those of mathematics of course, but at any given time, let us say such a time as one is typing a post, we may hold the rules of grammar as constant and at such a time those rules apply to one's writing similarly to the rules of mathematics or propositional logic!

Don't get why all the fuss about all this. Don't care about any of it. Never put any subject in my sentences.

Do you even know what "carte blanche" means people ? Why do u use French words to try and be trendy or chic ? Why do I spell you "u" ?

No, seriously now, I'm always amused by the way some people use the word "faux" as to underline that it's really really fake. Or maybe it's because it's some sort of poseur fake ? Wait, why do you use the French word "poseur" too ?

El-P, English is just a messy amalgam of French and old Anglo-Saxon (and Greek) anyway. It isn't so much a coherent language as a sponge that just takes in words from all over the place. This is why English is three- or even four-times bigger (in terms of number of words) than the nearest rival.

Words become Anglecised and lose their original meaning. English is a kind of piratical culture stealing bits from all over the world and then reimagining it in its own image. American culture is like the bastard-child post-modern version of that.

All of which is saying is that "carte blanche" means whatever Mr. Englishman or Mr. Americanman wants it to mean and that sort of thinking is strongly characteristic of the Anglo-American mindset.

I recently learned that words like "bacon" and "parliament" actually directly derived from Old-French, which was spoken at the Royal Court of England after William the Conqueror invaded the country. Which is funny since we, French people, use the word "bacon" thinking it's basically an English word.

(well, we do use more and more English words, to some ridiculous degrees at times, the same way I think English-speaking people use the word "faux" instead of "fake" as a way to emphase the meaning, or too look cool.;) French language is also pretty much a sponge, especially since we have a long-time culture of immigration)

El-P, French was the language of the court, Anglo-Saxon the language of the peasantry, so you get these distinctions where the cooked form ("beef") comes from French and the uncooked form ("cow") comes from Anglo-Saxon.

This association, of the French language with "poshness" and sophistication basically endured right through to people using French words to show off or make themselves sound smarter.

In this case, I wanted to make a lame joke ("some of my best friends are called Blanche") in order to lampoon a) the general absurdity of this argument, b ) of internet arguments in general, and c) the sort of reflexive cliches that people employ in such arguments. I apologise for the incredible un-funniness and smart-arsery of this joke.

This stuff is facsinating to me.

These days the English terms are overused in realms like fashion, music and of course business, for obvious reasons, as the dominant cultural and economical model comes from the anglo-saxon world. Thankfully, English is a rather easy language to learn. Wait until we'll all have to learn (and read !) Chinese and Arabic.;)

(on a French music board lately I've been using the German prefix "über" quite a bit...)

No one was asking about it, we were just pointing it out to him.

Why don't we install a world filter, so thear and whear get changed to there and where.

You specifically said you PMd him to ask him about it.

The other option would be just come to the conclusion that someone that recommends tons of really good European wrestling, Joshi and FMW that no one else watches or talks about is worth having around, and that any spelling errors he makes can just be ignored.

Like how I'm worth having despite all my drawbacks for what I bring to the table, like an understanding of "for all intents and purposes" which i used to think was "for all intensive purposes" before someone yelled at me on DVDVR a few years ago and I got embarrassed.

This reminds me of one of my statistics lecturers that always spelt the word shown as shewn, which is more archaic than technically incorrect. I just chalked it up to one of his eccentricities. The main thing is that FLIK's opinions are worthwhile, who cares if he misspells a couple of common words.

No one was asking about it, we were just pointing it out to him.

Why don't we install a world filter, so thear and whear get changed to there and where.

You specifically said you PMd him to ask him about it.

The other option would be just come to the conclusion that someone that recommends tons of really good European wrestling, Joshi and FMW that no one else watches or talks about is worth having around, and that any spelling errors he makes can just be ignored.

Yea, I asked him via PM because I was curious. I didn't ask him on the board itself. I don't see why he gets so offended over it.

I know this is going to be closed soon, but this has been most entertaining. I do like how tigerpride is necessarily the heel here. It's entirely fitting for wrestling.

The Grammatarian strikes again!

Posted Image

FLIK as a kind of true blue Hacksaw Jim Duggan figure: he might spell funny but his heart is in the right place!

:D

If no one else has anything to say to FLIK, and FLIK has nothing to say in his defense, I'm closing this tomorrow. At that point, deal with FLIK's spelling and go about your day, but please don't sidetrack threads by asking him about it.

I think the best approach to this would be for everyone to trademark their own misspelling.