Pro Wrestling Only

FLIK's spelling

Loss

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always taught you should never start a sentence with "however."

However, years later I was told that rule was nonsense.

i think my number 1 grammar peeve is people not knowing when to introduce a however clause with a semi-colon rather than a comma.

I was always taught you should never start a sentence with "however."

However, years later I was told that rule was nonsense.

i think my number 1 grammar peeve is people not knowing when to introduce a however clause with a semi-colon rather than a comma.

My #1 pet peeve is people not using the shift key. Flik is #2.

It's not really a niche thing. "However" is an adverb, and you can't link two clauses with an adverb. Instead of "She's gorgeous, however her breath smells awful," you're supposed to say, "She was gorgeous; however, her breath smelled awful." You could have two sentences there, too.

"Then" is also like that, although it's easier to just add "and" ("I got home and then made dinner" instead of "I got home, then made dinner"). That one throws me for a loop a lot.

Grammar is a way for people who suck at math to sound smart.

I am not terrible at math and poor grammar still annoys me. Not to the point where I will point it out on a message board, more of a quiet seethe to myself, but still.

You're probably not great at math. People need to accept most grammar is busy work horse shit.

For starters, Their, There and They're, one of you has to go.

im great at math and grammar :P

for real though as is probably somewhat obvious i dont really care too much about grammar per say, just that if people dont spell homopohones correctly they look dumb. not that they are dumb mind, they just LOOK dumb. so people should make some effort to get that shit right. plus to be completely honest, i only really support the rules of grammar and spelling because they let me look better than others in things like academic papers, formal e-mails, etc.

I wasn't harassing him on IM, I simply asked him why he spelled it whear and thear. He sent back a curt response, so I sent him another message, just saying I really want to know why he does it.

So seriously, why does he spell it whear and thear? Is there some joke that people are not in on?

I don't know FLIK but I am going to take a guess:

He is upset that Obama got re-elected and is part of the crowd that wants to secede from the union. FLIK has been put in charge of establishing the language for this new Obama-less nation and that's how he wants where and there spelled.

Just playing percentages, I can say with 93% certainty that FLIK would support Obama.