Pro Wrestling Only

The Boss, Man is he Big

goodhelmet

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Career wise, DiBiase had a larger and richer body of work, but I will say..In my opinion, Bossman's primary

WWF run ('88-'92) had more quality matches than Ted's.

Ray gave Hogan some of his best matches. Bossman vs. Dusty, Bossman vs. Hennig...you name it...

Bossman was a great heel and a surprisingly good face during his WWF tenure.

I would like to ask someone who has watched Crockett TV more comprehensibly is if we saw glimpses of Bossman's potential in his run there. What he did on the supershows was not inspiring at all and certainly didn't lead me to believe he would have good to great matches with Hogan within a year time frame.

Dylan mentioned Windham's ability to "work small" in the thread that begat this one. That is one of the Boss Man's primary strengths. He was a 357-pound badass with a nightstick who, once he turned babyface, was able to legitimately work sympathy against guys like DiBiase and the goddamned Mountie. I'm glad that the entire BBM/Mountie match apparently made the '91 yearbook, because leaving aside the brilliant jail antics I remember it being quite a solid match. Probably the best Mountie match ever, which isn't high praise or anything, but it was good. BBM/Barbarian from the Rumble is probably the best Barb singles match in the company. I really, really like the 3-odd-minute match with Doink which is a virtual squash for Borne with Boss Man getting tied into knots. And incidentally he was an excellent squash-match worker for the company and the time period.

It's rare for a guy to improve that rapidly working for the WWF but Traylor did it. He went from never saying a word and never working as a (pushed) babyface to being a very good, underrated interview and a good babyface worker.

I haven't seen that Garvin match, but the dude fucking no-sold a wooden chair that Klondike Bill forgot to gimmick. No-sold a taxi door getting slammed on his fingers too, until he got inside. That has to count for something, maybe even enough to make up for fucking up Jim Cornette's knee permanently.

Set it up Matt!!!

I'm glad to start a note, and even be in charge of managing suggestions and an order that people get to pick matches for everyone to watch, etc, but there's a slight problem with this as a starting point. Well two.

First is that PWO Microscope Match of the Week is a kind of lackluster name.

More importantly though, presuming this is the Starrcade 86 Match, the thing doesn't fit the "easily accessible" criteria. It's not online.

I can still start a note, but that'll sort of hinder rewatches.

Matt D - been meaning to ask you for a while: why do you call threads "notes"?

I think the Bossman argument is being somewhat overstated here, and is an example of people getting overexcited and carried away with reassessment.

Bossman was never pimped as a great worker, Ted was, therefore he has no burden of expectation, therefore if you can think of a handful of good matches and performances that somehow adds up to a case -- and because Ted was not everything he was cracked up to be, he has less of a case. Doesn't seem very convincing to me.

Also don't get me wrong, I like Bossman and think he was good as a heel and as a face, but I am not entertaining the idea that he was a better worker than Ted in WWF because that idea is not only wrongheaded but also just wrong.

As for Bubba in Crockett, as Chad said, he seemed really green. To the extent it's hard to believe the guy who appears in WWF in 1988 is the same guy, night and day.

Matt D - been meaning to ask you for a while: why do you call threads "notes"?

I think the Bossman argument is being somewhat overstated here, and is an example of people getting overexcited and carried away with reassessment.

Bossman was never pimped as a great worker, Ted was, therefore he has no burden of expectation, therefore if you can think of a handful of good matches and performances that somehow adds up to a case -- and because Ted was not everything he was cracked up to be, he has less of a case. Doesn't seem very convincing to me.

Also don't get me wrong, I like Bossman and think he was good as a heel and as a face, but I am not entertaining the idea that he was a better worker than Ted in WWF because that idea is not only wrongheaded but also just wrong.

As for Bubba in Crockett, as Chad said, he seemed really green. To the extent it's hard to believe the guy who appears in WWF in 1988 is the same guy, night and day.

Bossman has had fans of his work for as long as I've been posting online. Which is a long, long time.

What's being overstated? What about what people have said regarding Bossman is wrongheaded in your view?

I don't think it's impossible that Dibiase was better in the WWF, but I hardly think it is self evident to the point where the idea that Bossman is better is "just wrong."

Career v. Career I would absolutely take Ted.

Bossman has had fans of his work for as long as I've been posting online. Which is a long, long time.

Like I said, past MAYBE the Steiners vs Money Inc in a Cage (quality of that match aside), I've never seen a Dibiase in WWF match pimped more online than Barbarian vs Bossman.

As for the spurious Demolition remark, I am not going to invite headache upon myself, thank you very much.

I think it is wrongheaded because it takes form as being the only criterion when assessing a guy's time in a given place. I would prefer a formula along the lines of base talent + form + positioning/ "meaningfulness".

What is "meaningfulness"?, well it's there to mediate cases where you might have a very talented guy having good matches who isn't being pushed. It's Bobby Eaton on Saturday Night in the late 90s. Or an even more extreme case might be Buddy Rose doing job matches in WWF. Even if Rose is still a 5/5 for talent and even if he's on good form, his "meaningfulness" rating is a 1 or even a 0 and that's going to hurt the way you look at him.

I think Ted's base talent and "meaningfulness" while in WWF are strong enough to overcome the form issue (and it's not like his form was completely terrible or anything). Or in other words, Bossman might have been on career form and might have had a decent push, but considering all three things together I still don't give him a chance of being called a "better worker" because Ted's base talent is just better than Bossman's.

I stand by this as a way of rating runs. I would think about footballers in the same way. Fernando Torres might have been crap since 2008 but his base talent is still there and no amount of arguing or reasonably good form can make the Norwich striker Steve Morison a "better footballer" than him. The only way it could happen is that Morison somehow comes out and scores 30+ goals in a season while Torres is on woeful form. And even then, Torres would probably fetch a higher price than Morrson.

In the Ted vs. Bossman scenario, it would be unfair to Bossman to say that he's the equivalent of a Steve Morison, but his WWF run also wasn't the equivalent of a 30+goal season while Ted's was also nowhere near close to being "woeful".

In the rating system I've just devised, let's say Ted's a 4 talent, 3 for form and a 4 for "meaninfulness". Let's say Bossman is a 2 or a 3 for talent, 4 for form and a 3 for "meaningfulness".

My view is that form is not the ONLY thing to consider when all things aren't equal. Between Ted and Bossman all things are not equal.