Pro Wrestling Only

Championship Wrestling from Florida

Troy

So I stumbled upon this 102 disc Florida set covering 1966-1988 and thought it'd be appropriate to start a Florida discussion thread. Personally, I've seen very little, but there are a few things that are intriguing to me.. Kevin Sullivan devil worshipping gimmick, Karl Kox mentoring Jimmy Garvin, Ladd turning on Dusty, Roop/Keirn feud, Oliver Humperdink, JJ Dillon, Harley Race defending the title, Von Erichs attempting to help Flair, Jimmy Garvin/Mr. Wrestling II feud, and Robe vs. Hat. Any memorable matches/feuds/wrestlers you liked? I'd like to hear your opinions

I have a fair bit of that "set" that I've accumulated over the years. VQ ranges up and down on what I have, no idea if this set is an improvement. The bulk of what I have is 80's material so there isn't a ton of Brisco on it from what I remember.

I especially like the drama that played out surrounding Dusty Rhodes' first title win in 1979 over Race, with Terry Funk interfering and breaking Dusty's arm prior to the rematch, setting up their war in that area. There is a studio segment where Jos Leduc comes out because Dusty is taking his interview time while they review the film and Dusty loses his shit and lays him out, followed by a freak-out Promo.

Also Dusty, despite having his arm broken by Funk before the rematch, loses the title when he flips Race over the top rope due to the NWA adding the stip that if Dusty is DQed he loses the title. A broken arm (which Dusty sells completely during the entire match) was not enough of an excuse for him to lsoe the title back to Race, believe it or not.

I always remember that one when peolpe talk about other wrestlers losing titles in screwjob finishes that stand up. Rhodes first NWA title loss is easily the worst.

Link doesn't work, but I am wondering the same thing. I don't know that an 80s set is going to be as kind to Florida as a 70s set would be. I'm guessing there based on rep, I could be wrong. I'm not sure there's a vast difference in available footage between the two decades either.

I'm not sure there's a vast difference in available footage between the two decades either.

I'm pretty sure there is lots more 80's footage available if that's what you mean.

Is there? I may be wrong, but it seems like there's a lot of 70s Florida out there relative to other territories, and that there are footage gaps in the 80s. Maybe it's all relative -- there's less 80s available than for a lot of groups, and more 70s available than for a lot of groups.

I think Florida and World of Sports are the two promotions where 70s sets would be justified over 80s sets, although obviously that does jar a little bit with the core aims of the 80s project.

World of Sports wasn't a promotion, it was the name of a television show on ITV. There's also far more 80s footage available than there is 70s footage and the 80s set is a Europe set, which means it will include Germany and Wales.

I'm not sure there's a vast difference in available footage between the two decades either.

I'm pretty sure there is lots more 80's footage available if that's what you mean.

Is there? I may be wrong, but it seems like there's a lot of 70s Florida out there relative to other territories, and that there are footage gaps in the 80s. Maybe it's all relative -- there's less 80s available than for a lot of groups, and more 70s available than for a lot of groups.

The impression I get from a quick glance of my own lists shows a lot more 80's stuff than 70's, with things like Turnbuckle Memories and Mike Graham's infomercial Classics show being a mix of both with an edge to 80's material.

Relative to other territories, Florida does seem to hold it's own and then some in terms of 70's footage. This is just going by my lists, of course, but I don't think I'm missing much Florida material.

World of Sport was cancelled in '85. The shared slot didn't start until '87, but All Star Wrestling appeared on the cable channel Screensport in '85 and '86. I'm not a big fan of ASW, but I imagine it will make the set. I'm fine with WoS as shorthand for the style, but not really the promotion as Joint Promotions was made up of Dale Martin in London and other promoters in Yorkshire, Liverpool, Manchester and Scotland.

I don't want to derail from Florida too much, but I was under the impression there was loads of WoS footage availavle from the 70s. I can't remember what channel it is, but that stuff is constantly being re-run. There were also serieses on Sky Sports (hosted by Jeff Stelling) and ESPN Classic (Sid Waddell's Wrestling Show) that between them showed quite a lot of stuff from the 70s in reruns and package shows going back to 1998. I have no idea *how much* there is, but I imagine there's a lot more 70s footage than we have for many other places.

Just having a look around and John Lister's site says the channel I couldn't think of is apparently The Wrestling Channel (I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere though) and he has a listing: http://www.johnlisterwriting.com/itvwrestling/twc.html Sure there's lots of 80s but there's a lot of 70s too.

My comment wasn't based on availability of footage so much as it was based on the idea that the 70s is perceived as the heyday (culiminating in 81) and I imagine the 150 you could pull from what's out there might be better than the 150 you could pull from 80s stuff. There might be more 80s than 70s, but there's more than enough 70s. Same with Florida. That's all I was saying.

EDIT: The channel I couldn't think of is called "Men & Movies". What I don't know is if what is shown on there are re-runs of the TWC stuff or different stuff.

It's all the same stuff - TWC licensed a set amount of footage with the rights to unlimited repeats until the deal ended. They passed it on to Men and Movies and they continued until the end of last year when the contract ran out. At the moment nobody is airing it (other than the odd 30 minute show on ESPN), but a company trading as World of Sport TV has some rights and will be releasing stuff on iTunes.

Footage wise, ITV Sport appears to have almost everything from 74 onwards, some but not all stuff from 72-4, and a couple of shows from 1970. We're not 100% sure, but it looks like what they have is everything that was recorded (on tape) rather than broadcast live. The archive of this stuff was a complete mess -- I saw the "listings" when I was selecting matches for the first run on TWC shows and its just a list of matches in no particular order and with no venue/date details. By the last few batches of TWC shows, I suspect somebody at ITV was just picking tapes out of a box at random.

As mentioned on the Timeshift/McManus-Pallo thread here, there's a collection of 50s/60s film, but there's a huge fee just to cue it up and work out what's on it, let alone get a copy made.

To address the main point, there should be slightly more 80s ITV stuff than 70s. If you throw in Relso, Screensport and continental Europe, you should get more from the 80s -- I'm not aware of any European stuff of note from the 70s that isn't ITV.

I just watched maybe 30-40 discs of Florida. Sadly it skewed disproportionately to late 1984 and 1985. The Freebirds came in at the beginning of that period but honestly felt "tired"- nothing like the buzz of their heel runs in Georgia or Dallas, both of which I've recently watched. Then they left over conflict some thing with Wahoo and their absence made me think "mabye they weren't so stale, 'cause now this kind of REALLY sucks."

Sullivan came back in eventually and his (rehashed, I guess, although I don't have any of the 1982 promos) cult promos did entertain me thoroughly as did his squashes. I totally dug Boob Roop here, which is an opinion I know isn't universal. But there was something notably moribund about the shows, and for me that's saying something given that the presentation of the CWF product (i.e. the look/feel of the studio) has never appealed to me. I've just always been irrationally less interested in seeing Florida work I might be way into if it was from the TBS Studios or Mid-Atlantic or Portland or whatever. I can't put my finger on why. Can't blame Solie (I don't think... although watching all that Florida shortly after even more Georgia, the guy did start to get REALLY repetitive).

Anyway, watching all my Florida stuff, the highlight remained, as ever, the Bruce Walkup empty studio cage match. Gold. Runner up, probably to a clipped Funks-Briscos arena match that is just insanely hot. But overall, I didn't enjoy Florida nearly as much as any of the other territorial stuff I've been guzzling through over the past month. It definitely feels like a territory that wasn't what it used to be.