Pro Wrestling Only

The Steve Austin Show

Guest Andrews

"Having a wrestling match is a lot like having sex: hopefully, you don't hit that best shot first."

Such a great quote. Unfortunately, he goes on to describe what would be considered more of a date rape situation involving an unwilling partner, which may actually be more fitting for what his generation of workers were doing to the audience.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened to dozens of Raven and Jake interviews over the years, and it's clear that the both of them share a lot of the same thoughts & opinions when it comes to psychology. I've heard both of them credit the Sullivan learning tree at times, but I don't know that I've ever heard Sully go to the "wrestling is a lot like sex" analogy quite as often as those two. :D

Seriously. Seems to be their go-to line in most discussions about psychology.

That being said, Jake is a fascinating listen. (Raven, too - if we're being fair & entirely honest.) So I'll be giving this one a listen soon.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else hear the podcast with the blogger obsessed with Attitude Era? One of my least favorite eps, and I usually love Austin's show.

I'm definitely jealous that this fan got to shoot the shit with Austin for 35 minutes, but it would sting less if he'd had any comments or questions that were actually thought provoking. His opinions weren't offensive or anything, just not interesting.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI for those interested, the second Eric Embry interview is out now.

Not sure if Embry is working us on that phone call he received, but the story he told about the tax on the wrestlers was pretty interesting.

His stuff on the Brody story was also some stuff I had not heard before (but I also haven't sought out the details).

FYI for those interested, the second Eric Embry interview is out now.

Not sure if Embry is working us on that phone call he received, but the story he told about the tax on the wrestlers was pretty interesting.

His stuff on the Brody story was also some stuff I had not heard before (but I also haven't sought out the details).

I found his breakdown of how the box office was paid out in Dallas the most interesting.

As for the part where Embry talks about Puerto Rico, to be honest, it wouldn't shock me if Jovica did have some sort of racket based on the taxes to get more of a cut from the imported wrestlers. Here you pay your taxes to Hacienda not the IRS, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a racket in place to get more of a cut (have a guy play the role of taxman, pay him a cut of what you get extra and keep everything else over the taxes you had to pay). I'm not saying this is true, I really have no idea if this happened, but it's not something that I would be surprised by if it did.

As for the part about Brody's death, my number one rule about any Brody explanations is to never take anything said at full face value. I'm pretty sure he's working about the phone call, anyone who thinks it over for a few moments would come to the same conclusion (I could list of a few questions/conditions that would have to be met for me to believe that the phone call happened and it was who he insinuates it was).

i usually shy away from talking about the whole Brody thing, because usually nothing good comes from engaging in that conversation and you really can't condone what happened since it's something that should have been a preventable situation that led to man's death. But still, (and to be clear I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, but especially anyone here at PWO) it angers me that to this day, the moment any U.S. wrestler opens his mouth on the subject it is taken by some as this definitive 'the truth has been set free' moment when in fact you are being worked. By comparison, anytime a local wrestler talks about it, they are lying through their teeth and must be covering things up. Newsflash to those people, any account given from any source should not be taken at 100% face value. I truly believe that we will never get a 100% unbiased objective account of what happened and anyone believing that such and such's account is completely true is fooling themselves. Even more so when the people who spout of that this such account is the definitive and truthful version of events should see that there are things that do not add up in those accounts if you think about it logically for more than a few minutes and if you actually bothered to learn about certain details about Puerto Rico other than the island is a hellhole run by the powerful overlords of Colon and Jovica. For crying out loud, what kind of a powerful mob/crime overlord has their second biggest star wrestler and draw do a premeditated hit in an enclosed locker room with a whole bunch of potential witnesses in there when they supposedly have all this power and control, and could have easily had some hired street thug do this some other time on the streets. Anyone who can honestly or logically explain this would probably be the first to do so.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if you take anything from this remember to take any account with grains of salt. There may be truth in there, but there will also probably be lies and/or misinformation.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Seconding the recommendation for the podcast with Austin and Kendrick talking through the Flair/Steamboat match. You get lots if unique insight and Austin's enthusiasm is infectious - he's like a child on Christmas Day at some parts "look at this! now watch what Flair's going to do now!" A really fun listen, hope he does more.

Seconding the recommendation for the podcast with Austin and Kendrick talking through the Flair/Steamboat match. You get lots if unique insight and Austin's enthusiasm is infectious - he's like a child on Christmas Day at some parts "look at this! now watch what Flair's going to do now!" A really fun listen, hope he does more.

Yeah, they really get into some minutia of working that was fascinating.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just caught the latest Vampiro episode on my drive home the other night, and I absolutely loved it. Never would've imagined these two guys getting together and just shooting the shit so casually - sounding like a couple of guys that go way back or some shit. Very cool.

I popped when Austin asked, "Hey, man. Whatever happened to SKELETOR..?!?" with genuine interest in his raspy voice. I just about lost my shit when, alongside Vampiro, I pieced two & two together to figure out just who he meant.

God bless pro wres. Because here is Stone Cold Steve fucking Austin - interrogating into the whereabouts (and body type!) of LA Park.

Vamp goes on to do his rep *some* justice, but I'm not gonna lie. I was really hoping he'd dish out more info, and especially serve up some recent match recommendations for our favorite rattlesnake.

Shit. In my heart of hearts, I don't know if I wanted anything more in that fleeting moment than to believe Steve Austin was sitting up late that next night, perusing the tubes & surfing the webz in search of essential Park matches from the last few years.

Caught the Wrestlemania 34 episode, it was ok. Kind of sad that Austin didn't have anything to do with it after the last time they were in New Orleans and talking about wanting to address the fans. Looking back at past episodes, there are a ton I've missed that sound good. Shane Douglas is always a good listen when he is on as a guest with someone, Dr. D David Shultz sounds great, James Ellsworth, DDP, Edge and Christian, Brutus Beefcake of all people, and Elias are the ones I've got downloaded from this year so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been catching up on older episodes I'd previously skipped. There's something I've noticed before but really stood out to me when listening to a bunch of Austin consecutively.

The guy sounds like he's way geeked up on some caffeine and that Alpha Brain a lot of the time. It's nothing for him to tell a ten-minute story in two. And there are times where he'll just ramble and rattle off things, while the guest struggles to give an answer or get a word in edge-wise.

It's part of his charm and personality, so it's not like I'm complaining or anything. It's just one of those Austin traits I knew was there, but I never realized just how often he does it. Good stuff.

I'm currently caught up somewhere in the RVD two-parter. They don't actually discuss much wrestling, but it's cool as hell to hear Stone Cold talk about vibes and zen energies and shit.

Listening in while the Texas Rattlesnake channels Rob's good vibrations to win a fucking Toyota Prius as part of a mail-in scratch-off game was a tremendous little moment in time.

• 3 months later...