Pro Wrestling Only

The Steve Austin Show

Guest Andrews

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three minutes into part one of the Russo interview and he's already talking about how hard it is to get wrestlers with a strong "southern" accent over. No wonder Cornette dreams about murdering this guy.

EDIT: And yeah, the "Gund Arena" incident where Austin vetoed a program was related to Jeff Jarrett. If I remember right, the story was that Austin had already refused to work with him for supsected personal reasons (Jarrett called out Austin 3:16 as a shoot in his first promo upon his return to the WWF, bad history with payoffs in USWA) and, despite that, they had scripted a sequence where Austin was going to run-in on Jarrett during some sketch with Ben Stiller and give Jarrett a stunner. Austin knew that doing that would plant the seeds for a match with Jarrett, so he vetoed it (with an extra dose of foul language for WWE Creative in the process).

Nice nugget in the latest interview with Ricky Morton where he talks about Doug Dillinger being a police officer in Charlotte and getting a retirement from there before he started full time in WCW. Only have about 20 minutes left, but I have enjoyed the Morton interview overall.

He did a bit. I thought he towed the line well between being someone that you can tell thought it was better in the "good ol days" and not giving any value to the talent of today. I thought his opinions about working indies today were pretty astute and he mixes in some interesting stories here and there.

I don't think so. The minute somebody like jdw listed all the reasons Brody sucked, they would hate this place. Having said that, I loved the interview with Morton. He is somebody who really needs their own podcast. I had a phone conversation with him about 7-8 years ago and the guy is entertaining in conversation.

I find it impossible not to love Ricky Morton. He always comes across as a very sincere guy who has given his life for the business, and despite being screwed over multiple times, he seems like he's come to the point where he isn't that completely bitter fuck that he could be.

He gave some great insights into in-ring psychology here and it was cool when he was comparing Ole to Arn and Tully, and when they were discussing calling it in the ring. Fantastic interview.

• 2 weeks later...

Not on Austin's show but since it was his opinion I thought I'd comment here. He was on Keller's show last week. Keller brought up WWE wrestlers being unhappy with the uncertainty of PPV pay even now, in September. Austin talked around it a bit, coming off as a WWE apologist (something I'd never have accused him of before) and basically suggested that if the guys need to take a cut now to cover set up costs on new technology, so be it. He also mentioned wrestlers covering bodybuilder salaries for the WBF in the early 90s without coming down negatively on it.

Found this flabbergasting considering the number of blow ups he had with management on lesser issues over the years.

• 1 month later...

Austin's Unleashed Show this week is going to be commentary synced up to his Wrestlemania 17 match against the Rock.

Really liked the track Austin and Jim Ross did for that on Austin's last DVD set. The whole timing/rhythmic quality of that match being explained was really interesting.

Just wanted to provide another rec for the director's cut podcast of Austin/Rock at Mania 17, or whatever you may call it. Insightful, fun and a completely refreshing take on a match that I imagine most folks here have already seen, if not multiple times. I listened to it on the elliptical and tried to also read the paper as I normally do. The paper had to wait until I got back upstairs. Definitely worth checking out.