Pro Wrestling Only

The Steve Austin Show

Guest Andrews

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Jericho one with Jack Slade was way better. Some funny stories & a bit of insight. Austin's okay, but Wade is still hitting the same talking points from four or five years ago for the most part.

Austin's show has been really weird for awhile now - way too much Ted Fowler, Broken Skull Challenge, and episodes with his wife for my tastes. The wrestling guests feel like a rarity, although I'm a meathead & a gym rat, so I always enjoy the bodybuilding & nutrition heavy talk. CT Fletcher is forever entertaining, and the Bell boys bring interesting discussions just about every time.

I love Austin and Wade's PPV review shows. I'm of the belief that Austin's show is consistently head-and-shoulders above Jericho's, Edge & Christian's, JR's, or any of the Conrad podcasts. That doesn't mean he doesn't have episodes I skip, but that's true of any podcast - wrestling or not. 

Its also a bit reassuring to hear Austin's take and feel like, "Yes, my thoughts exactly!" Like a year or so back, when he picked up apart Seth Rollins having no gimmick, or on the Takeover/SummerSlam review, how much he praised the Moustache Mountain/Undisputed Era match and Becky Lynch.

I did think he and Wade were a bit off in their assessments of the AJ/Joe and Bryan/Miz match. In the case of AJ/Joe, they both harped on the idea that the match started too much like a wrestling match considering what Joe had done. I actually thought the psychology was perfect. AJ knew Joe was baiting him, so instead of wrestling "Joe's match," AJ tried to stay cool and wrestle him with checked emotions. As the match wore on, the intensity grew until AJ snapped. I don't think AJ needed to jump him before the bell the way they implied. 

Similarly, they were a bit cool on Bryan/Miz and while they did note that the crowd wasn't super into it, I didn't think the crowd was as dead as some have made them out to be. Also, while Miz did have some people cheering him at the start, Bryan had won over that crowd by the end to my ears. This wasn't Sid/Michaels at Survivor Series 96'. Lastly, I just felt like they also undersold just how good this match was - fan reactions or not - because it was an excellent old school match with lots of great little moments and quirks. For someone who, on the same show, made mention of Lawler/Dundee multiple times, I was a bit surprised to not hear him make that reference in regards to the way Bryan, from the very start, was making it clear that Objective #1 was to punch Miz in the face, raising his fist in the air and really making it clear that he didn't just want to beat Miz, he wanted to hurt him. Also, that back suplex off the top? That was a move we've seen before, but I don't think ever executed as well with such impact. And the finish? I just can't praise that match enough so while I wasn't surprised that Meltzer didn't go ga-ga over it, I was a bit surprised that neither Wade or Austin thought it was the show-stealer (if not the best match of the weekend).

I see what you're saying about the AJ/Joe start, but I can also side with Wade's comment about the announcers. IF it truly was the story of Styles trying to keep his cool - and I'm not even suggesting it wasn't, since I don't watch their weekly TV and would have no way of knowing anyhow - then the fault should fall firmly in the lap of the announcers.

It's literally their job. They should have emphasized & underlined that element of the story. They didn't, and so it's easy to understand how someone would feel like the beginning was a little flat without that context. Here you go from seeing a guy trash the champion's family, and you're ready to root for an ass-kicking - because that's human nature, and that's how actual people behave. But instead you get this hokey looking pro wrestling hold, and it's all so cold.

It needed context. It needed quality announcing. Without that, it leaves the viewer at home with the task of creating their own imaginary story or explanation for it. That might be fine for fantasy bookers or diehard followers of the product, but viewers just dropping it for the big shows or randomly wouldn't make the extra effort to dream up the sort of scenario you laid out there.

I think Wade was better at expressing that part of the equation than Austin, who was perhaps more inclined to address it from an angle of how HE would have approached the layout himself.

It's just so indicative of their ultra lazy, super uninspired style of storytelling these days. They went into Mania last year with so little story that fans were basically imagining the feud in their heads as some 3-year epic odyssey. Because the pieces *were* all there, but the company itself couldn't be bothered to illustrate the story for its viewers or anything. It's like flipping through a comic book and dreaming up what must have happened off-panel, because nothing actually unfolds in front of you.

I dug Wade going through the steps of how Vince pulled all the right strings to get the crowd to react to Roman's win though.

• 4 weeks later...

Austin and Bob Holly chopping it up about guys throwing live rounds & dishing out receipts is tremendous. And Bobcore talking about Dr. Death and the Brawl For All is forever a winner in my book.

"And make it for a hundred thousand dollars? Sheeeiiit."

Austin describing Test's Irish whips as him "pulling on a lawn mower that had been sitting up in the yard for fifteen years" had me cracking up, too.

• 1 month later...

I've been going way back in the archives to dig up all the old Big Show appearances on Austin's show. I heard Show on an episode of Jericho's pod and just had to hear more. The giant's a super fun storyteller and an interesting interview in general.

Hearing Show tell the story of the first time he worked against Austin on RAW was awesome. He describes the entire ordeal in detail, with Austin's deep chuckling sprinkled in the background as he listens and recalls along with it.

For years & years, posters on message boards have fantasy booked Show to a better 1999 and bitched about what a horrible decision it was for Vince to book Austin to beat him straight away in a meaningless match on RAW.

Turns out - Vince originally had Show going over Austin to build up the monster. Austin shot it down, and Vince sided with Stone Cold.

Of course, that doesn't mean the decision wasn't awful in the first place. They just shouldn't have booked that match to begin with - wrong place, wrong time. Just like the proposed Brock match.

The story of how Show got into WCW is a fascinating, winding road also. The bit about meeting Curt Hennig at a bar is trreeeemendous. Ditto for the story of the basketball game with Hogan, wherein Hulk pants the Giant & Show takes a bump for the onlookers - just to get in good with Hulk.

I knew Show went to the Monster Factory originally, but I never realized RAVEN was so hands-on in teaching him the fundamentals early on.

Show also claims he was paid one-third of what Johnny B. Badd earned for his three years in WCW. (It's wild that Mero is somehow always THE go-to guy for gripes in terms of salaries.)

Show is actually pretty humble and grateful about it all though. He chalks it up to being paid pretty well for what was basically on-the-job training. Oh. And there's a neat little story about how the WCW video game accidentally cut him a check for TWICE his annual salary, then later requested it back. I don't know if that's exaggerated at all or not, but it's totally something you could see happening under their watch.

Big Show reminiscing about his high school days is just the best. Apparently he racked up technical fouls for arguing with coaches and intimidating the other teams. He's a hoss, y'all.

Oh. And the Big Show was a male cheerleader. Tha fuhck?! But yup. Because he didn't like the football coach at his school, he spent two years turning down the offer to try out for the football team. And, to rub it in his coach's face, he joined the cheer squad instead. That's right. One giant and seven girls. In a mini van. With a chain-smoking cheer mom behind the wheel. Magnificent, y'all. How have I never heard about this before??

Show says Arn Anderson was his favorite wrestler growing up, and he tells this great story of riding his bike to the matches one evening. Tickets were priced at $10, and he only had 6. So he stood outside the gate until he saw the fucking Horsemen pull up in this big wagon of a car. Arn steps out, sporting a polo shirt, a gold rope chain, and some bitching rose-tinted glasses. Fucking A. Fucking DOUBLE A. Show's voice is just dripping with awe & nostalgia when he recounts this little gem of a story. It's worth going out of your way to hear.

His first episode with Austin is the absolute best, but every one of them offers up a fun, lively conversation. Show is an overflowing fountain of fun stories. Highly recommended when you have some time to fill.

Big Show talking about meeting Scott Hall in WCW for the first time was great. "Hey. Remember to tuck your chin when you take my finish, okay?"

Tremendous.

Recently burned through the Mark Bell episodes. I realize plenty of wrestling fans have zero fucks to give about bodybuilding or powerlifting, but I love it. Steve's training & nutrition episodes are some of my favorites.

Smelly and Stone Cold chopping it up about Tony Atlas' crazy impressive physique and his best bench press was unexpected but awesome.

• 6 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 6:43 AM, WingedEagle said:

Has there been any word on whether this show is officially done or will return at some point?

Nothing official or definitive has been said yet, but the news that "Straight Up Steve Austin" is going to be a new half-hour talk show on USA could be an indicator that it's probably done.

It's been six months since he said he would be taking a few weeks off to recharge, so yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not one of those people who is all gaga over AEW.  I don't really care for a lot of the talent who are going to be working there and I probably won't watch the show when it debuts, assuming it is even available in Canada.  Having said that, I know a lot of fans (especially WWE fanboys) are calling Tony Khan a "money mark."  I listened to this show, and this guy is no dummy.  He really does come across as a lifelong fan but he sounds like a good businessman, and most importantly his major advantage is the connections he has in the entertainment and television industry.  That's how they were able to get such an excellent television deal. He's smart. I was really impressed with how Tony Khan came across in this interview, and I'm not a guy who is openly slobbering over all things AEW.  This guy came off as pretty much the antithesis of Dixie Carter.  If Vince McMahon isn't worried about competition from this guy, he should be.

It's interesting how Tony's genuine fannishness on the Austin pod is bring mistaken for him overhyping the Double or Nothing matches in some responses that I've seen, including on Twitter. Not that his fannishness couldn't potentially pose a problem, but it's far from just hype on his part, even if we're not exactly used to that in this role.

Also, it was fun how genuinely impressed Austin was by the type of knowledge that Tony had gleaned from watching old tapes, if just because he's going to be the closest thing we ever get to a PWO regular as a major wrestling promoter.

12 hours ago, Bix said:

It's interesting how Tony's genuine fannishness on the Austin pod is bring mistaken for him overhyping the Double or Nothing matches in some responses that I've seen, including on Twitter. Not that his fannishness couldn't potentially pose a problem, but it's far from just hype on his part, even if we're not exactly used to that in this role.

WWE apologists really, really, *really* want to cast Tony as a Dixie 2.0 dumb fanboy money mark and will glom on to anything they think will reinforce that image. It's almost as if decades of Vince clearly hating being seen as a "rasslin' promoter" has trained WWE fans to look down on anyone in the business who legit enjoys professional wrestling.

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

WWE apologists really, really, *really* want to cast Tony as a Dixie 2.0 dumb fanboy money mark and will glom on to anything they think will reinforce that image. It's almost as if decades of Vince clearly hating being seen as a "rasslin' promoter" has trained WWE fans to look down on anyone in the business who legit enjoys professional wrestling.

I've never heard anyone who has dealt with him describe Tony as dumb quite the opposite. His major fault is his temper and rich kid entitlement. AEW is on a tremendous wave of momentum so it hasn't been displayed yet.  

No one is claiming that anyone who knows what they're talking about thinks Tony is dumb.

That said...reading up on the demise of the AAF, it's not hard to see comparisons between Tony and Charlie Ebersol. Charlie was another son of a irch person saying all the right things, too, and then it turned out that the league was on the verge of folding in Week 2 before a temporary bailout. *That* said, I don't know if Charlie ever successfully ran a business on his own like Tony already apparently has.