Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With The Past #3

Loss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny's best impression by far is Lou Albano, 100% match. His Blassie is good too.

I can't listen to the Titans show since I'm too unfamiliar with the specifics of the material. It's stuff I might pick up some day though and if I do I'll be sure to listen. For now I have to miss out on that part of the Johnny Sorrow Michael Winslow comedy review.

I was a tad worried listenting to this one going in but it ended up being a very civil talk here about Bret's career. Way, I look at it. Flair has had the better career but I enjoy watching Bret more. Johnny's Stu impression was excellent. Nobody listed Bret/Owen from WrestleMania as their favorite match at the end. Unless, I missed it but that was surprising. Glad you all skipped Montreal and kept the talk about his WCW career short. Good show everyone.

Definitely a fair podcast, though I do think the goalposts move a bit but that's on both sides and with a lack of clarity. Flair beats Bret in a GOAT poll to me. Flair beats Bret in a "who has the more impressive career" poll. I like Bret's idea of what a wrestling match should be and and how he follows through on it better than Flair's. So it's all about how you define the question I think. BUT that's not important. What's important is that this was an unquestionably fair podcast.

Neither here nor there, I think an interesting counter to Flair's week that was brought up would be June 12-13, 1993. Obviously the scope of what Flair did is bigger but Bret had the 40 minute Backlund match which I think is really good, and then the three matches the next night with both the Bam Bam and Perfect matches being really good and all fairly different. I wish we had more of the Luger single matches from that June too.

Neither here nor there, I think an interesting counter to Flair's week that was brought up would be June 12-13, 1993. Obviously the scope of what Flair did is bigger but Bret had the 40 minute Backlund match which I think is really good, and then the three matches the next night with both the Bam Bam and Perfect matches being really good and all fairly different. I wish we had more of the Luger single matches from that June too.

That's actually a fantastic point in Bret's favor I've never thought of before.

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of the match, he had the Ironman with Owen which is pretty well regarded and the Kid title defense from RAW within a few days of each other too. So Bret probably does have stretches like that too. Great wrestler.

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of the match, he had the Ironman with Owen which is pretty well regarded and the Kid title defense from RAW within a few days of each other too. So Bret probably does have stretches like that too. Great wrestler.

The Backlund Superstars match that you like is sandwiched in-between those two matches also.

The best part of Johnny's Stu impression was the very understated (I think Will was laughing over this - can't blame him) "What's that Richie? You want to fight me?" part at the very end of his first bit. Cracked me up as it sounded totally in character.

I totally want to check out the Yoko/Bret match that Loss was talking about. They also had a very good match in White Plains in Nov 93 that made Bret's recent set as a Blu-ray exclusive:

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna

White Plains, New York • November 29, 1993

That one is definitely worth checking out.

The Backlund Superstars match that you like is sandwiched in-between those two matches also.

One additional detail to these two days (and someone correct me if I am confusing this with some other occasion) is that Bret injured his ankle in the match against Backlund and worked KOTR injured.

Listening to this now. One thing, you guys talk about Bret Hart's first feud as WWF champ being with Shawn Michaels. I would argue that's not correct. They never feuded in 92 they had one random meaningless match at Survivor Series booked that happened to then become a world title match when Bret got the title. But there weren't any angles or a storyline to this match. Bret was instead going around the horn with Nailz of all people for the first few days after winning the title. After that he seemed to face Papa Shango around the horn a decent number of times then Rick Martel (who seems to be subbing for the Mountie). Bret wasn't given a fair chance IMO at the start he didn't have a main even opponent for house shows, he didn't have a ready made feud, instead he fought a bunch of mid carders same as he did on tv. A program with Shawn MIGHT have been a good idea but with the roster stretched the way it was the IC champ feuding with the World champ might not have worked.

Eventually Flair comes back and is put into a program with Bret. Flair however was not a great draw in the WWF, decent against Hogan, mediocre against everyone else in that 91-93 run.

As a 12 year old those matches really excited me because Superstars and Challenge were all I got and it made it seem to me that Bret wasn't too good to appear on those shows the way the rest of the champs had traditionally been. It made me a big fan of his title run. Looking back at it, I think I take your point.

• 3 weeks later...

Flair has had the better career but I enjoy watching Bret more.

This sums up my feelings exactly. Also, I think Will's point about people's upbringing influencing their tastes is right on. Guys like Loss who grew up on JCP learned to accept the things that annoy people like me about the style. By the same token, a lot of the complaints people have about the current WWE product are things I don't give a second thought to.

Also, for the record, when I talked about Flair becoming less relevant, I didn't mean any time in the near future. I was thinking more 30 or 40 years down the line.

• 8 months later...