Pro Wrestling Only

Matches with the best commentary.

slabinski611

Jim Ross is now most familiarly associated with the calling of Stone Cold Steve Austin matches, but I love his work on the Flair matches of 1989. The Steamboat trilogy, the Funk matches, oh and go back and grab Sting/Flair from the first Clash, too. I just couldn't imagine those matches without his commentary. I also have to admit I'm partial to Jim Ross, passionate sports commentator, over JR, cowboy in the booth.

Jesse Ventura and Tony Schiavone at Superbrawl III, Erik Watts and Marcus Bagwell vs. The Hollywood Blondes:

Tony: Erik Watts in!!

Crowd: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (one of the loudest I've ever heard)

Jesse: Why do they boo every time Erik Watts comes in the ring Schiavone?

Tony: Are you sure that's "boo" or is that "woo"?

Jesse: I don't know, I'll listen next time he makes a change.

Tony: Stop talking and listen once in a while, and you might find out something.

Jesse: You sure are mouthy this Superbrawl evening.

Tony: You don't like it? You don't like that? [quickly goes back to calling the action]

Nikolai Volkoff comes out...

Gorilla: Well, things are pretty rough right now over there for those Russians...

Bobby: Too bad.

Obvious choice but 1992 Royal Rumble gets my vote for best commentary ever. It has anything and everything you could want -- a huge sense of urgency, excitement, history, importance and at least 10-12 laugh out loud moments.

The 1992 Royal Rumble Match. Hands down the best commentary in wrestling history (at least in English). Gorilla is able to make Barbarian and Haku, on their way out the door, seem interesting and important. The match is as much a triumph of the greatness of Bobby Heenan as it is Ric Flair. When Flair and Heenan (and Hennig but his contribution was zilch) cut that promo at the end you almost get the sense of two men who know they've just outperformed the entire company and are on cloud nine.

Jim Ross is now most familiarly associated with the calling of Stone Cold Steve Austin matches, but I love his work on the Flair matches of 1989. The Steamboat trilogy, the Funk matches, oh and go back and grab Sting/Flair from the first Clash, too. I just couldn't imagine those matches without his commentary. I also have to admit I'm partial to Jim Ross, passionate sports commentator, over JR, cowboy in the booth.

Agreed. The Chi-Town Rumble Flair-Steamboat title change is my choice for the best I've ever heard.

I really love Jim Ross' call of War Games '92. His genuine enthusiasm and excitement for Steamboat and Dustin's entrances is contagious. He gets nearly tongue-tied with excitement during Dustin's come back just prior to Madusa climbing the cage. His back-and-forth with Ventura is spot on. Ross in WCW was so good at reacting to the action in a way a good sports broadcaster does where you can tell he is just observing what is happening, processing it intelligently, and spitting it back out without getting too theatrical or spinning what he sees. There's a spot in the match where the cameras ease drop on Dangerously who is holding an impromptu strategy session with his team members outside of the cage. Dangerously says something like: "If we get him into the corner and we can keep him alive. . ." It cuts off there so there is no way to really know what Dangerously is referring to. Ross pauses, tries to process what he heard, and goes: "He is talking about a corner or something . . . I don't know." I love that reaction. No attempt to weave a story based on a half of sentence we overheard. Just a pause to try and figure out what he meant followed by a frank statement that he doesn't know what Heyman is babbling on about. It's small things like that which gave him an air of legitimacy back then.

Meltzer mentioned this in the 1996 back issue the other day but Tony's call of the entire Bash at the Beach '96 PPV, particularly the six-man main event and aftermath, is really excellent. He sounds legitimately concerned as the match is about to begin, asks really good leading questions to Dusty and Heenan, and just puts the entire match over as the landscape altering moment that it really was for WCW.

I'll second the vote for Schivoni during the BATB96 main event. The best part is the final exchange.

Gene: Tony,Bobby,Dusty DAMNIT lets get back to you !

Tony: Alright we have seen the end of hulkamania. For Bobby the brain Heenan, For for Dusty Rhodes. I don't know. I'm Tony Schivoni HULK HOGAN YOU CAN GO TO HELL! WE'RE OUTTA HERE. STRAIGHT TO HELL !!!. (slams headset) end of show.

Unlike some of the later nwo stuff where tony goes over the top, I thought this was appropriate and the best possibly response to the biggest heel turn of all time.

I'll second the vote for Schivoni during the BATB96 main event. The best part is the final exchange.

Gene: Tony,Bobby,Dusty DAMNIT lets get back to you !

Tony: Alright we have seen the end of hulkamania. For Bobby the brain Heenan, For for Dusty Rhodes. I don't know. I'm Tony Schivoni HULK HOGAN YOU CAN GO TO HELL! WE'RE OUTTA HERE. STRAIGHT TO HELL !!!. (slams headset) end of show.

Unlike some of the later nwo stuff where tony goes over the top, I thought this was appropriate and the best possibly response to the biggest heel turn of all time.

I always enjoyed Heenan in the aftermath of that match, and for years after, basically being able to say "I told you so!" after 15 years of telling everyone how Hogan was a liar and a cheat. :lol:

That's one of the all-time great line ever. Just perfect.

I would add the Booker T vs. HHH Wrestlemania match with Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. Ross is trying to call the match straight the whole time and Lawler keeps trying his schtick which for some reason annoys Ross to the point he almost curses Lawler out on air. Ross' reactions to Flair constantly interfering and Lawler's attempts to explain it are PRICELESS!!

Meltzer mentioned this in the 1996 back issue the other day but Tony's call of the entire Bash at the Beach '96 PPV, particularly the six-man main event and aftermath, is really excellent. He sounds legitimately concerned as the match is about to begin, asks really good leading questions to Dusty and Heenan, and just puts the entire match over as the landscape altering moment that it really was for WCW.

I don't, however, like Bobby Heenan speculating that Hogan was the third man when he came down the aisle. It's defensible, I guess, in that it is probably what the Heenan character would have said under normal circumstances, but I do think it kinda degrades the shock a little bit. On the other hand, I didn't get back into wrestling until after all that had occurred, so I don't really know how much of a "shock" it was live, anyway. It's presented as the biggest surprise in the world in retrospectives and it was surprising to hear about as a lapsed fan, but sometimes history gets distorted.

I highly recommend seeking out the 1994 version of the Coliseum Video "Bloopers, Bleeps, and Bodyslams." Almost all of the matches are done by the awesome team of Gorilla Monsoon and Johnny Polo, and it's obvious they're having a blast.

Holy shit, that sounds awesome. That's the first time I've ever heard of that, I'd imagine its hilarious.