Pro Wrestling Only

Undertaker > Hogan

Sidebottom

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this. I don't think it has been mentioned yet. It's from the book The Bad Guys Won by Jeff Pearlman, about the 1986 New York Mets. On page 63 is the following quote:

"Up until the early to mid-80s, Cardinals versus the Mets was no more of a rivarly than Hulk Hogan versus Molly Ringwald."

:P

I asked my wife, who is 34. She said she felt like Ringwald and Hogan were about equal in fame at the time, but girls were more likely to know Ringwald, and boys more likely to know Hogan. Stands to reason really.

I am 100% convinced that ANY member of this board who is married, their wife would of heard of Hulk Hogan.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I asked her who she felt was a bigger star in the 80s. She said her perception was that they were about equal. She obviously knew who Hogan was before she even knew I existed.

My apologises, I got your and NintendoLogic's posts muddled completely.

I wasnt keeping up with this thread until the last time Sorrow and I were talking on the phone. He claimed most people who grew up in the 80s would know the name John Hughes. I claimed most people would have no idea who John Hughes was. After the conversation, i asked my wife, "who's John Hughes?" She had no idea but she has seen every Hughes film mentioned in this thread. As afar as directors, I thik people would definitely recognize Speilberg and maybe Lucas. after that, would the average peson recognize any director? Scorcese? Coppola?

I had that same argument with him Will. But doing some research, it does seem like films were sold under Hughes's name. I found a poster for Home Alone with "A John Hughes film" above the title. Seems to have had at least a cult following. I watched some trailers to see if they made a deal out of Hughes as director, and they did.

This might get lost in translation but I came to the conclusion that he's like the American version of Richard Curtis (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Love Actually, Bridget Jones). Not so much a director whose name can sell a movie (a la Spielberg, Tarantino, Scorsese), but rather a kind of rubber-stamp guarantee of a certain type of film (in Curtis's case, schmaltzy rom-coms, usually starring Hugh Grant, in Hughes's case schmaltzy comedies, usually centred on teens or else John Candy!) Hope that makes sense.

I wasnt keeping up with this thread until the last time Sorrow and I were talking on the phone. He claimed most people who grew up in the 80s would know the name John Hughes. I claimed most people would have no idea who John Hughes was. After the conversation, i asked my wife, "who's John Hughes?" She had no idea but she has seen every Hughes film mentioned in this thread. As afar as directors, I thik people would definitely recognize Speilberg and maybe Lucas. after that, would the average peson recognize any director? Scorcese? Coppola?

I don't know exactly what this says about me, but I knew who John Holmes was in the 80's and had never heard of John Hughes until the 90's or 00's.

I had that same argument with him Will. But doing some research, it does seem like films were sold under Hughes's name. I found a poster for Home Alone with "A John Hughes film" above the title. Seems to have had at least a cult following. I watched some trailers to see if they made a deal out of Hughes as director, and they did.

This might get lost in translation but I came to the conclusion that he's like the American version of Richard Curtis (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Love Actually, Bridget Jones). Not so much a director whose name can sell a movie (a la Spielberg, Tarantino, Scorsese), but rather a kind of rubber-stamp guarantee of a certain type of film (in Curtis's case, schmaltzy rom-coms, usually starring Hugh Grant, in Hughes's case schmaltzy comedies, usually centred on teens or else John Candy!) Hope that makes sense.

Hughes was his own genre in the 80s. That doesn't mean that everyone will remember his name just the folks with a particular connection to his films. Spy magazine claimed that Hughes was more Capra than Capra in the early 90s.

It depends on how old the person is. Cecil B. DeMille, Charlie Chaplan, John Ford, Frank Capra and Alfred Hitchcock were all famous in their lifetimes. Actors like Ron Howard and Clint Eastwood obviously have added notoriety. More people would have heard of Woody Allen than have seen his films. Spike Lee would be known amongst sports fans. Oliver Stone was big for a while. People may know Kubrick too.

Hughes wrote the film. Chris Columbus directed it

Yes, and the fact that he's named on that Home Alone poster actually strengthens the idea of him having some name value. How many WRITERS get top of the line credit? Richard Curtis was also "only" the writer on most of those films I mentioned.

Hughes was a producer too. That's sort of how old Hollywood worked. The Producer would get the billing of it being "A Louis B. Mayer Film" or whatever.

Yes, and the fact that he's named on that Home Alone poster actually strengthens the idea of him having some name value. How many WRITERS get top of the line credit? Richard Curtis was also "only" the writer on most of those films I mentioned.

Posted Image

It's how he rolled, even back to the similar Pretty In Pink that he wrote and produced but didn't direct.

He pretty much was more than a writer on those films, along with others. It was pretty much his production house, and he had a healthy ego to get his name out in front.

John

5573545[/url]']

5573525[/url]' date='Nov 20 2013, 08:29 PM']I wasnt keeping up with this thread until the last time Sorrow and I were talking on the phone. He claimed most people who grew up in the 80s would know the name John Hughes. I claimed most people would have no idea who John Hughes was. After the conversation, i asked my wife, "who's John Hughes?" She had no idea but she has seen every Hughes film mentioned in this thread. As afar as directors, I thik people would definitely recognize Speilberg and maybe Lucas. after that, would the average peson recognize any director? Scorcese? Coppola?

It depends on how old the person is. Cecil B. DeMille, Charlie Chaplan, John Ford, Frank Capra and Alfred Hitchcock were all famous in their lifetimes. Actors like Ron Howard and Clint Eastwood obviously have added notoriety. More people would have heard of Woody Allen than have seen his films. Spike Lee would be known amongst sports fans. Oliver Stone was big for a while. People may know Kubrick too.

Yeah, I disqualify Chaplin, Howard and Eastwood because of their acting careers. Hitchcock is a great one. I knew who Hitchcock was when I was in grade school.

I was born in 81 and anecdotally, I think most people I went to high school/college with would know what The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller was, but not necessarily who John Hughes was.

Actually, I'll ask my wife later, but my stepson is named, in part, after a Ferris Bueller character and she can quote parts of the movie, and she probably doesn't know who John Hughes is. She knows who Molly Ringwald is, but she just doesn't care all that much who wrote or produced something.