Pro Wrestling Only

Exceptions to the rule

cheapshot

Kevin Nash just celebrated his 25 year wedding anniversary yesterday, which goes totally against the grain (or seems to), aspeople in the business can't seem to stay married for such a long period of time. (The McMahons being the notable exceptions).

This got me thinking, what other examples are there of wrestlers bucking the trend, like Nash, when it comes to marriage of someone who was on the road for such a long period of time, and was world champion/high profile?

There are other things that people think are the normal as it pertains to being a wrestler such as never retiring, health issues etc.

Never retiring is interesting because people have had to retire due to health, but most big stars over the last 20 years don't retire as such, but just fade into obscurity somewhat or still make appearances and take the odd bump or are involved in an angle. Many don't just retire and walk away completely.

So, what other trends do people feel most wrestlers follow in life, and who, as the topic title suggests, have bucked these trends?

Ray Rougeau is actually fascinating in general. A tough guy you wouldn't think was a tough guy. A great worker, who's best work is largely unexplored (Montreal). I have heard people say he was a very good promo in French, but I don't speak French. A very good drawing card, who is not thought of that way, because again, even with Pat and Bertrand's excellent book, we rarely think about Montreal in those ways. The fact that he got out early makes him even more fascinating

Guest Nell Santucci

Ray Rougeau is actually fascinating in general. A tough guy you wouldn't think was a tough guy. A great worker, who's best work is largely unexplored (Montreal). I have heard people say he was a very good promo in French, but I don't speak French. A very good drawing card, who is not thought of that way, because again, even with Pat and Bertrand's excellent book, we rarely think about Montreal in those ways. The fact that he got out early makes him even more fascinating

You think it's true that Dynamite wouldn't scrap with Raymond? When wrestling's favorite sociopath struck Jacques, Raymond was on crutches.

It was pretty public at one point that Nash was dating one of the Nitro Girls, to the point that he would make jokes on the air that he was going to "eat a little Korean" after the show. That's obviously between him and his wife so I'm not saying that from a place of judgment, but I just remember all of that fairly well, so it surprises me that they are still together.

Jimmy Garvin and Precious.

Yeah, and Martel had been successfully investing in real estate for several years, too.

I think there's sort of an argument for Sting: Found religion, cleaned up his life, and saved his marriage. Only works in TNA because it's a stupid amount of money for very limited dates and very limited wear and tear on his body, allowing him to live a normal life. Yeah, he's still in wrestling but not in a way that's really detrimental to his life in any way.

I was always slightly intrigued by Nash's marriage. In one of his shoots he hints at sleeping with Madusa while she was with the WWF and his wife being piss off about it. Interestingly when Nash got the book in WCW Madusa was instantly brought back to TV after nearly 2 years on the sideline and given a pretty enormous push. I can remember the Chae thing from the thread about Meltzer WCW quotes

Another story is that Linda McMahon wanted Nash's wife to come to WM 11 in Hartford and Nash was dead set against it

It's amazing how often is Hokuto on TV. I was in Japan for three months and whenever I'd turn on the TV, or was at an airport or something like that, it was either her or Yoshihiro Akiyama on some sort of retarded show.

Piper is another good example of a long marriage though I guess his wife must be a very forgiving lady.

I can't remember where did I hear this (I'm thinking Steve Austin's podcast) but apparently Rick Steiner is doing very well between his role at the board of education somewhere and in real estate. Steiner started his real estate business with Big Boss Man, so it's a real shame that Boss Man died because he was pretty much set for life after wrestling and didn't need to drag his ass to the ring anymore unless he wanted to (like those weird IWA Japan tours he did with a bunch of old NWA/WWF dudes).

Jimmy Garvin and Precious. By all accounts neither of them fucked around, they lasted together while working which seems to be one of the hardest things to do, and they're still married to this day. I can't remember who, but in a shoot someone flat out said they tried very hard to get in Precious' pants and it just wasn't happening.

Nash being married for so long has always baffled me. It was clear by his conduct and the people he associated with that this was a guy having a good time on the road, and having a good time on the road includes scoring chicks. It wasn't exactly a secret that Nash liked the ladies, and I never even knew he was married til much later on. I figure either she was really cool and they had an understanding about it, or she was just oblivious and truly loves Nash despite his hijinx. Either way Nash got lucky and chose well when he married.

When Cena married his "high school sweetheart" I thought for sure it was a deal where he was the love of her life, and he still wanted to be with women on the road but he loved her too and wanted a wife to make a home for him, and she was ok with that arrangement. Lots of girls would be ok with that. Turns out I was totally wrong, and they ended up divorced when she figured out what his habits were. I thought the same thing for sure with Jericho and Edge, and they both ended up divorced in pretty short order. I don't understand why these guys aren't just straight up with their girls. You don't have to flaunt it, just say, "hey, I'm gonna be home like 4 days this month, I might need to get some, but I'm always coming home to you"

I just assume that 90% of guys and gals on the road fuck around on their significant other. Then you get crazy stuff like Tammy Sytch fucking around all over the place, with and without consent from Candido depending on who tells the story, while Candido appears to have stayed faithful to her, AND they stuck it out as a couple through a decade in the business. That relationship seems like such an anomaly in wrestling.

Doesn't Lance Storm have a rep of being a family man? He definitely got out early.

He's far from "out" at all. He works various indies, has a full time school, appears on podcasts all the time and is a consultant for the WWE Performance Centre as well as writing a blog and tweeting about wrestling.