Pro Wrestling Only

Best Family in Wrestling History

Ryan Faulconer

I thought this would be a good topic for discussion. With WWE's ridiculous number of multi-generational stars this is probably a tougher debate than it was ten or fifteen years ago. I'm not sure how many members a family needs to have in order to be the true first family of wrestling. There are a number of families that only go as far as parent/offspring (you gotta keep em separated???) but that might be enough for some fans.

The Hart Family seems to have been taken down a few pegs over the last decade. Bret/Owen/Davey/TJ/Dynamite/Teddy/Anvil/Natalya has a good top three with number four being wildly bipolar as far as an online consensus goes.

Is there another to challenge the Samoans or the Brazos? The Von Erichs are definitely a good kayfabe choice but I'm not sure how well they stack up after Kerry and Kevin. I guess they fall into the Hart family category with time not being so kind when defining the "first family" of wrestling. The Rhodes family probably deserves a mention although they seem to only run three deep. Maybe the Windhams or Armstrongs or Fullers fall into the discussion. Then there is the Piratas and Parkas. I'd also pick the Hamadas and a lot of other lucha families like Negro Navarro's...and we could probably have a good discussion just rattling off lucha familias.

Now that I think about it I'm probably in over my head on this one. I feel like I'm missing out on some obvious examples. The board can probably some fun with this one.

I'm on such a Brazos kick at the moment.

Other families that should be thrown in there are Guerreros/Llanes (Gory/Chavo Sr. and Jr./Eddy/Hector/Mando/Javier/Enrique) and Casas (Negro/Felino/Metal/Pepe).

The awesome thing about the Brazos is that they are already an impressive unit when you are just thinking about the main trio but even the tertiary family members are pretty good from everything I've seen. I wish we had more footage of Robin Hood and I remember digging the other super fat Brazo from the UWF Hamada atomicos match.

Is three not enough then? The Funk Family seem like they should be mentioned (Dory Sr / Dory Jr / Terry)

Anyone know anything about Bob Orton Sr? They might get a look in too.

Personally I'd give this to the Samoans though, unless you can count the McMahons.

The Armstrong family at least derserve a shout out.

Is three not enough then? The Funk Family seem like they should be mentioned (Dory Sr / Dory Jr / Terry)

Anyone know anything about Bob Orton Sr? They might get a look in too.

Personally I'd give this to the Samoans though, unless you can count the McMahons.

The Armstrong family at least derserve a shout out.

I thought you'd of said the DiBiase's parv!

I thought you'd of said the DiBiase's parv!

Not a huge deal is known about Iron Mike other than he was well thought of by everyone and a really good heel. I thought Ted Jr was always really bland and have not seen Ted's other sons in action. Don't think they are very high on the list tbh.

Side note: Mike DiBiase once had a 1 hour, 44 minute Texas Death Match with Dory Funk Sr. (with 16 falls)..

What about Negro Casas, El Felino & Heavy Metal.

That is a pretty great family there.

Plus Pepe Casas and Felino's sons, and some cousin called Danny Casas, and on the not so great side, Negro is married to Dalis la Caribena, and her brother is Veneno.

I would throw in Mil Mascaras, Dos Caras and Alberto Del Rio into the mix just to further discussion.

That's a pretty awesome trio but the existence of Sicodelico disqualifies them from any kind of contention.

The Wagner's are not too bad either: Dr Wagner, Dr Wagner Jr, Silver King. I believe that Texano is a cousin... but I can't remember if he's a real cousin or not. If so, you can link them to Texano Jr. and Dandy (Texano's cousin). Wagner Jr. used to be married to Rossy Moreno, and King was married to Xochitl Hamada, so you can link them to those two other families. All in all that would be quite an impressive family tree.

I think Dory Sr and Iron Mike DiBiase are right near the top of that list of guys who were probably great for whom we have absolutely no footage.

There's one Dory Sr match, you can find it on Youtube. Stylistically, I think Dory Sr wrestled more like Terry than Junior, which I wasn't expecting. Since WWE has the Texas Wrestling footage from Ed McLemore, I wonder if they're sitting on more footage.

I think Dory Sr and Iron Mike DiBiase are right near the top of that list of guys who were probably great for whom we have absolutely no footage.

There's one Dory Sr match, you can find it on Youtube. Stylistically, I think Dory Sr wrestled more like Terry than Junior, which I wasn't expecting. Since WWE has the Texas Wrestling footage from Ed McLemore, I wonder if they're sitting on more footage.

I would imagine they are, and will probably role out sporadic matches from it depending on when an old-timey wrestler goes into the HOF, or they do some sort of Texas wrestling retrospective, or a segment on specialty matches, stuff like that.

The Welch family ran Southern wrestling for decades . Family members included Roy Welch , Herb Welch , Lester Welch , Jack Welch , Buddy Fuller , Ron Fuller , Robert Fuller , Jimmy Golden , Jackie Welch and Roy Lee Welch . The Welch clan were cousins to the Field family that ran Gulf Coast Wrestling. They sold out to their cousin , Ron Fuller. Les Thatcher once stated that were over 25 Welchs / Fullers , Goldens and Fields in the business a once time or the other .

I remember Ron , Robert , Jimmy , Jackie and Roy Lee. The Fuller brothers and Jimmy Golden were great wrestlers in the 1970's .