Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With The Past #7

Loss

Charles and Will are back as they examine the career of the Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels. They go through the early years with the Rockers, his heel turn and run with Sherri Martel, his matches with the Kliq, his awesome 1997 feud with Bret Hart and the final run of his career. We discuss the problems we had with his matches but also give credit where credit is due. There is never a dull moment so enjoy!!!

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-with-...heartbreak-kid/

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles and Will are back as they examine the career of the Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels. They go through the early years with the Rockers, his heel turn and run with Sherri Martel, his matches with the Kliq, his awesome 1997 feud with Bret Hart and the final run of his career. We discuss the problems we had with his matches but also give credit where credit is due. There is never a dull moment so enjoy!!!

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-with-...heartbreak-kid/

Excellent! Another WWTP - Has Xmas come early? :lol:

I shall give this a whirl today!

I hope you discussed his brown tights.

First thought as I listen, you both said you couldn't see Michaels as a future world champion as compared to the champions of the time (Warrior, Flair and Bockwinkel).

Michaels is 6'1 - Bockwinkel is 5'11 and Flair is 6'1 also so can you elaborate a little more on those comments? Was it a weight factor? Michaels was never tiny and also had a defined physique, and I wouldn't say he was hugely smaller compared to Flair and Bock.

First thought as I listen, you both said you couldn't see Michaels as a future world champion as compared to the champions of the time (Warrior, Flair and Bockwinkel).

Michaels is 6'1 - Bockwinkel is 5'11 and Flair is 6'1 also so can you elaborate a little more on those comments? Was it a weight factor? Michaels was never tiny and also had a defined physique, and I wouldn't say he was hugely smaller compared to Flair and Bock.

I am thinking about this guy. Nothing about this guy screams future world champ to me. I don't know if I said he was short... maybe I did... definitely shorter than Hogan and those guys.

5577086[/url]']

You'll find a link to this page in the above post but for those bookmarking - the official page for the Wrestling With the Past show (including iTunes directions and the entire archive):

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-with-the-past/

(Note: that logo is just temporary, we're dolling it up real nice)

Brad, just thought of something... Can you replace son of a plumber on Duaty's shirt with Wrestling With the Past but make it look natural? That would be awesome!!!

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion of out in the open Born Again Catholics in general?

I wonder if the "ah its all an act" comes more from people pre-desposed to be anti-Shawn or anti the types who wear their new found faith on their sleeves.

I know this is going down a road that PWO wasn't meant for, but with how much Shawn made it part of his gimmick amd public persona (even to this day), it probably is a fair thing to bring up.

I am thinking about this guy. Nothing about this guy screams future world champ to me. I don't know if I said he was short... maybe I did... definitely shorter than Hogan and those guys.

Did Flair come off like a future World Champ during his first few months of matches in AWA? Serious question.

5577086[/url]']

You'll find a link to this page in the above post but for those bookmarking - the official page for the Wrestling With the Past show (including iTunes directions and the entire archive):

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-with-the-past/

(Note: that logo is just temporary, we're dolling it up real nice)

Brad, just thought of something... Can you replace son of a plumber on Duaty's shirt with Wrestling With the Past but make it look natural? That would be awesome!!!

That would be amazing! Let's see if we can make it happen.

Did Flair come off like a future World Champ during his first few months of matches in AWA? Serious question.

Agree with Loss. Probably not. But I don't think it was until Wahoo really got behind Flair when he went to Mid Atlantic that he was being touted as the next big thing.

Our argument wasn't that Shawn couldn't be a world champion but that there was nothing in his ring work, look, promos, etc. that would indicate he had the chance, especially in the Mid South run. It is more of a criticism of Dibiase being full of shit than of Shawn. It reminds me of Hall and Nash claiming that the WCW guy they were always watching was Terra Ryzing. Are you fucking kidding me?

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion of out in the open Born Again Catholics in general?

I wonder if the "ah its all an act" comes more from people pre-desposed to be anti-Shawn or anti the types who wear their new found faith on their sleeves.

I know this is going down a road that PWO wasn't meant for, but with how much Shawn made it part of his gimmick amd public persona (even to this day), it probably is a fair thing to bring up.

Fuck man, I don't know. I can tell you a story about a friend of mine though. My buddy made me the godfather of his son about 12 years ago. I have since had a change of religious belief. His wife is pissed and claims I shouldn't be the godfather, etc. However, i have always been a pretty good godfather, never preached or insulted their faith publicly and live a pretty clean lifestyle and always been there for the kid. My friend's wife on the other hand... had a kid before marriage, got married, divorced my buddy, got married again, got pregnant, had a fucking abortion, remarried my buddy and she's pissed because I am not following god's path. WTF? For Shawn or anyone else... don't be a fucking hypocrite.

Shawn in 85/86 seemed to have zero confidence in himself as a worker or as an interview. He also had a slight lisp that for whatever reason seemed to go away Maybe that's why he didn't look like a future star. Shawn admitted on his second big DVD that he was doubting himself and was naive and scared his first few years in the business. It wasn't until a year or so into the AWA run with Marty that he realized he was getting over and possibly on his way to stardom. Also keep in mind he was 20/21 years old at the time

It was Paul Diamond *I THINK*. He won TWA (Texas) Heavyweight title a couple of times with that gimmick too.

Seriously though, do you think that Michaels would rather work with Diamond or one of Shannon Moore's mates?

Edit: Here's the match, and it's Diamond: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2PDhaGG3tUhpu4T6YU