Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling With The Past #7

Loss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be fair. I think HHH does lots of things well actually. Above average bleeder, good bumper, excellent at manipulating emotionally crippled drug addicts, pretty good at running the ropes. So that's four positives right there.

You forgot he has bitchin' entrance music (every entrance song post-blueblood gimmick was pretty damn great) and excellent taste in music in general. Lastly DAT HAIR~!

At the end of the show, I'll have you recommend matches you would have people watch. Ending on a positive note!!!

Oh shit, outside of the Cactus match at the Rumble what is there? I know his 2000 stuff wiht The Rock was praised at the time, but I don't think it's going to hold up too well.

He did have a good match with Austin with the 2/3 Falls? Does that hold up?

There are definitely good matches out there. The Cactus series (9/22/97 at MSG, Rumble, Retirement match), Austin 2/3 falls which holds up incredibly well, the HBK match at Summerslam. I know I'm in the minority at PWO but I enjoyed the Undertaker matches at Mania the first time around, though the 2nd one does not hold up that well. But hey, I enjoyed it the first time and I can't pretend that didn't happen. The Rock ladder match in '98, even the Batista hell in a cell wasn't bad. The dusty finish vs. Jericho on Raw in 2000. The HHH/Austin vs. Benoit/Jericho on Raw. You could put a comp together if you had to.

At the end of the show, I'll have you recommend matches you would have people watch. Ending on a positive note!!!

Oh shit, outside of the Cactus match at the Rumble what is there? I know his 2000 stuff wiht The Rock was praised at the time, but I don't think it's going to hold up too well.

I like the Austin match as well as the Foley match at No Way Out 2000.

Surprisingly well actually.

Well if you are a fan of MOtorhead then you are going to have good taste in music. Isn't that hard.

A Motorhead fan told me it was a sad day when that partnership happened! Not that he wasn't a fan of Triple H or anything, just the general idea of the band becoming a "go to act" way of selling out I suppose, as opposed to say Triple H (or someone, Johnston, anyone involved in the music selection process) knowing about the song and getting the WWF to get permission to use it.

Ok I came across this and it goes against everything I've always heard.

For those interested, according to the format sheets, this is what was supposed to happen at Wrestlemania that didn't. First off, it appears the problem wasn't that the matches early went long but that whomever put together the format greatly overestimated how much time they would have for the wrestling aspect of the show. Bret and Owen Hart went 2:00 long in the opener, but that was more than made up when Doink & Dink vs. Bam Bam & Luna went 2:30 short. Savage and Crush went 1:15 long, but again that was made up by the women's match being 3:00 short. Men on Mission vs. Quebecers went :45 under the original planning. Luger and Yokozuna were scheduled for a 25:00 segment (which means about a 23:30 match, which would have been unbearable since they only went 14:40 and that was almost all restholds). At this point they should have been 12 minutes under in time, but instead they were lagging. Earthquake & Bomb were scheduled for a 4:00 segment (or about a 2:30 match), but instead did :35. Ramon and Michaels went :17 long, so they were right on target, yet they had to cancel the 10-man, which was only given 6:00 so even if they had gone on, the plan was to rush through a 4:30 match. By the way, the segment with the heels arguing over who would be the captain was taped hours before the show started and was scheduled to be part of the show, it wasn't a last-minute excuse for not having the match. That was supposed to leave Bret and Yokozuna about 18:30 for their title match, and PTL (praise the Lord) they only had to go out their for 10:36. Who was the practical joker that formatted Yokozuna having to work 42:00 on one show? The only other changes from the plan is that the skit Jennie Garth wouldn't do was a planned deal with her, Rhonda Shear and Shawn Michaels. Burt Reynolds subbed for her and obviously the whole thing was changed.

Shawn and Razor only went :17 long?

I watched Royal Rumble 2006 tonight and it's probably my favorite Hunter performance ever by a good degree. He was eating everyone's stuff and was super giving for almost the entire thing. It was his long term "full body selling" that really stood out, though. I think in this setting, a lot of his usual structural excesses couldn't shine through so what he was actually good at made more of an impact.