Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2/8/86 show should be the one where Savage wins the IC title from Santana. I always thought it was funny how they tried to shoehorn this match into the Danny Davis: Heel Ref angle (which I don't think happened yet) because Randy won via heel shenanigans.

The 2/8/86 show should be the one where Savage wins the IC title from Santana. I always thought it was funny how they tried to shoehorn this match into the Danny Davis: Heel Ref angle (which I don't think happened yet) because Randy won via heel shenanigans.

You're right. At the time of the Savage IC title win, Danny Davis was just a masked jobber ("Mr. X") a referee and a member of the ring crew. They came up with the heel ref angle after the title change. Savage used an international object to knock Tito out and score the pin, and at the time they played it off as if Danny Davis didn't see it. After his heel ref angle started, they retconned it, to justify adding Tito Santana to the Bulldogs vs. Hart Foundation and Danny Davis match at Wrestlemania III. As I recall, they had originally wanted the match to be the Hart Foundation vs. The British Bulldogs for the titles, but Dynamite's back was still way too fucked up for him to wrestle a normal 2 on 2 tag match.

In any case, besides Dynamite working the majority of the match, the other reason I don't really buy that the 6-man was a late audible is because by that point, seeing Davis have to get in the ring was a greater selling point than a title match would have been. As for the thing with the IC title change...I wonder if that was a happy coincidence or it was a case of "rainy day booking." We know how far in advance things were planned and it'd be odd for one ref to do double-duty for no particular reason when the Mr. X role could have been filled by anybody. I don't know if it's too much of a stretch to make sure the road agent assigns Davis to that particular match.

In any case, besides Dynamite working the majority of the match, the other reason I don't really buy that the 6-man was a late audible is because by that point, seeing Davis have to get in the ring was a greater selling point than a title match would have been. As for the thing with the IC title change...I wonder if that was a happy coincidence or it was a case of "rainy day booking." We know how far in advance things were planned and it'd be odd for one ref to do double-duty for no particular reason when the Mr. X role could have been filled by anybody. I don't know if it's too much of a stretch to make sure the road agent assigns Davis to that particular match.

Santana lost the IC title to Savage in February 1986, Danny Davis didn't officially turn full on heel until February 1987, a year later. They had been building up to the Davis heel turn forever, but I'm 99% sure that it wasn't even on the radar when the Savage/Tito match happened, it was just happy coincidence that they used as justification for Tito being in the WMIII match. Whether or not it the reason they added Tito is because of Dynamite's back is up to debate. I remember reading that somewhere as well, but I don't remember where, and I can't be arsed to go looking for it. That part of the story may well be bullshit, you could very well be right about that.

The stuff about Davis being a member of the ring crew and Mr. X as well as being a ref, I got at the time from a friend of mine who worked at Maple Leaf Gardens, plus Davis talked about it in his "Where Are They Now" feature on WWE.com.

Don't sleep on the Table for 3 with the Nation (Ron Simmons, Mark Henry, and Godfather). It's great fun with some good anecdotes and one nice callback to a previous angle.

I saw that one. I thought it was pretty good. Every time I see Mark Henry on Table for 3 or Ride Along he comes across as such a laid back, nice guy. I still love the Table for 3 with him, Kane and Big Show.

There has been a 1984 world class uploaded. It seems the WWE network are racing through the world class stuff which is good. I don't expect everything the WWE have to be up on the network. BUT I can't understand them uploading a certain territory and leaving gaps. They should either put it all up or don't bother.

Yes. The angle was actually set up earlier in the show where David filled in for Buddy Roberts (who was "late" in storyline) to win the tournament to crown the first six man champs, and David vacated his portion for the Birds to give it to Buddy because brotherhood was important and whatnot.

Yeah, I would classify the time period of Reunion Arena Xmas 82 through the 84 Parade of Champions as the bookends for the full glory of the Von Erichs vs Freebirds feud. After that the Freebirds do their territory hopping and the feud gets revisited a little bit here and there in 85 and 86, but if you started and stopped at the suggested points above, you got the best stuff.

David vs Jimmy Garvin might just be the most entertaining feud they did btw, so don't sleep on the non Birds related stuff. Plus being Texas based there's always the random Mil Mascaras appearances and oddball stuff like Tony Charles showing up under a mask as Checkmate.

David vs Jimmy Garvin might just be the most entertaining feud they did btw, so don't sleep on the non Birds related stuff. Plus being Texas based there's always the random Mil Mascaras appearances and oddball stuff like Tony Charles showing up under a mask as Checkmate.

I remember part of the angle at the time involved Jimmy Garvin losing some match where he had to go to David's farm and do chores for the day, like wash his dog, etc. I remember thinking it was hysterical at the time...but I was about 15 when I saw it, so it's likely one of those things that you look back and remember as being great, but may not have aged well.

Then again, this was over 30 years ago and I still remember it quite vividly, and I've not seen it since - so who knows.

The match was the loser had to be the winner's servant for a day, David won and made him and Sunshine be farmhands. I watched it not too long ago and it was still great. Instead of doing it like a wacky skit like WWE would do today, they had Bill Mercer go to the farm and cover it like he was reporting on a news event.