Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Kevin Von Erich win a match via body scissors while the opponent was standing up. He had such ridiculous core strength it's interesting to think about how he'd fare today with all the acrobatic styled guys working today.

Like Kevin vs Zack Sabre or Will Ospreay would be an amazing match if Kevin didn't potato the shit out of everyone.

I just watched Kevin Von Erich win a match via body scissors while the opponent was standing up. He had such ridiculous core strength it's interesting to think about how he'd fare today with all the acrobatic styled guys working today.

Like Kevin vs Zack Sabre or Will Ospreay would be an amazing match if Kevin potato'd the shit out of everyone.

Fixed.

Probably about the same time since everyone else in the promotion who died would have anyway with how plentiful drugs were. The only thing that would have changed is maybe Mike would still be alive since there wouldn't have been the pressure to be seen on the same level as Kerry and Kevin.

Kerry not wrecking his bike and destroying his foot would probably be the better "what if" scenario since that's really what started escalating the drug issues, and a healthy Kerry would probably have been big enough of a draw to keep them running a few extra years.

A bunch of WCCW went up, including some stuff from early 82 and some that that WWE has previously told us had damaged master copies. Does anyone know what the first episode of the actual WCCW tv show was?

WWE has shown "Texas Wrestling" from the 1950s at the sportatorium. I don't know when they rebranded to World Class, but I think it's a good bet they were running television in the 1970s and maybe back to the '60s under Fritz.

In any case, besides Dynamite working the majority of the match, the other reason I don't really buy that the 6-man was a late audible is because by that point, seeing Davis have to get in the ring was a greater selling point than a title match would have been. As for the thing with the IC title change...I wonder if that was a happy coincidence or it was a case of "rainy day booking." We know how far in advance things were planned and it'd be odd for one ref to do double-duty for no particular reason when the Mr. X role could have been filled by anybody. I don't know if it's too much of a stretch to make sure the road agent assigns Davis to that particular match.

Santana lost the IC title to Savage in February 1986, Danny Davis didn't officially turn full on heel until February 1987, a year later. They had been building up to the Davis heel turn forever, but I'm 99% sure that it wasn't even on the radar when the Savage/Tito match happened, it was just happy coincidence that they used as justification for Tito being in the WMIII match. Whether or not it the reason they added Tito is because of Dynamite's back is up to debate. I remember reading that somewhere as well, but I don't remember where, and I can't be arsed to go looking for it. That part of the story may well be bullshit, you could very well be right about that.

The stuff about Davis being a member of the ring crew and Mr. X as well as being a ref, I got at the time from a friend of mine who worked at Maple Leaf Gardens, plus Davis talked about it in his "Where Are They Now" feature on WWE.com.

Was their any talk of Santana regaining the title?

I wonder how complete the WCCW dump will be, I remember back when Kevin sold them the library the talk was it wasn't stored properly and most of it was allowed to bake in the Texas heat. Already a lot of the episodes have the "Shown in the best version possible due to damage on the original" disclaimer, and I recall the show Hayes and Kevin did on 24/7 skipped a lot of weeks too.

Anything post 1988 is part of the IWCCW library the Savoldis own and I haven't heard of them either being approached to sell or inquiring about selling. You'd think it would be a no brainer, but maybe there's just no interest on WWE's part.

The real fun would be if they ever hammer out the Memphis rights, since I think the real "finale" of WCCW would be the angle where the USWA took over.

WWE need to look at the Houston library again. What the hell is Corgan going to do with it? Tharpe was a fool not selling to WWE. Every video library needs to belong to WWE, they have the money and platform to stream classic wrestling. Houston is the best library they don't own, it holds full cards from 74-87. Anyone who had NWAonDemand would know it's a goldmine of footage.

The Houston tapes are 10x in more shape than the World Class tapes. I dont see any reason why WWE would sit on them. They are releasing classic content every month now, I say the more the better. If Vince wanted a library to collect dust I would think it would be the AWA not Houston.

The Houston tapes are 10x in more shape than the World Class tapes. I dont see any reason why WWE would sit on them. They are releasing classic content every month now, I say the more the better. If Vince wanted a library to collect dust I would think it would be the AWA not Houston.

The sense I get with the reels, and I may be wrong, but I don't think I am, is that the footage is not packaged together well on them. you get different falls of matches on separate reels, interviews all packed together, start and end bumpers here and there. You don't have a coherent product which is why it wasn't presented to us by Bruce as a coherent product. They'd have to basically reconstruct the old TV show from scratch by putting a puzzle together with the pieces flipped upsidedown (and some missing).

We have a Hidden Gems thing coming up in August. That will have a number of single matches presented without context. Do I think we'd get a few (5-6) of the biggest Houston matches they'd have a year in that format if WWE had the library? Absolutely.

But the content on the reels is not in a format for WWE to present it to us in any other way that they'd be comfortable presenting it. The x # of matches a week format we got from NWA On Demand is absolutely the best we can hope for from anyone (though they could go back and recreate cards as more and more matches end up on the platform, yes).

I know you want to see the footage. I do too, but it'd just sit if WWE had it.