Pro Wrestling Only

Impact Cancelled

Dylan Waco

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Attitude Era Praise

FWIW, I've noticed the most people singing the prase of 98-99 haven't watched that period since 98-99. They are picking out the memorable points and romantiziing the entire thing. I don't know ANYONE who has watch that period with fresh eyes (with the last five years) and rated it highly. Its always the opposite. So the next time someone starts praising 98-99 WWF, ask them- when was the last time they saw 98-99 WWF? Not just certain moments. Not just certain matches. I'm talking aout the episodes. I'm talking about WATCHING 98-99 WWF.

Probably true, but the fact is, wrestling is best watched in the moment, as it's happening. The 98-99 stuff was successful in 98-99. It worked for that specific time period, era, and audience. That's what really matters. I'm not saying there isn't any merit rewatching old stuff, but the fact is, it cannot be judged as accurately because something is always lost in translation. Sure, you can still enjoy or not enjoy something from a bygone era, but no matter what, you will never experience it the same way as people who were there as it was happening. Certain references, nuances, and period-specific attributes will be lost on you.

Disagree with all of this. Great art, and by extension great wrestling, holds up no matter when it is watched. A lot of it even ages better and is best watched removed from the time period whence it originally took place. I'm not really knocking watching wrestling in the moment, but by no means do I think it's essential to watch wrestling in the moment. Yearbooks, 80s sets, projects, etc. have proven time and again that a person can be placed in the time frame of the year that a match/angle is taking place and get just as much, if not more, out of that match watching it years later.

I'm somewhere in between these two viewpoints. I don't think wrestling is created with the intent to get over with anyone beyond its audience at that particular moment in time, nor do I think it has to be. And I'm not going to criticize 1998-1999 WWF for not thinking about how this stuff would look years after the fact. But some wrestling happens to look good no matter when it's watched and that's the truly great stuff. I don't think wrestling has to be created with that intent, but I think it is something that happens with some wrestling more than others, and that's what makes the great wrestling truly special.

I am not a big fan of late 90s WWF, but I also don't think they needed to change anything just so it was more enduring 15 years later.

Probably true, but the fact is, wrestling is best watched in the moment, as it's happening. The 98-99 stuff was successful in 98-99. It worked for that specific time period, era, and audience. That's what really matters. I'm not saying there isn't any merit rewatching old stuff, but the fact is, it cannot be judged as accurately because something is always lost in translation. Sure, you can still enjoy or not enjoy something from a bygone era, but no matter what, you will never experience it the same way as people who were there as it was happening. Certain references, nuances, and period-specific attributes will be lost on you.

I thought WWF in 99 was shit as it happened.

I thought WWF in 99 was shit as it happened.

My friends and i in high school stopped ordering their ppvs and switched over to ECW till 2000.

listening to the latest MLW and Disco Inferno is really white knighting for Russo. I know they're tight, but this is ridiculous

Listening to Disco I came to the conclusion he just doesn't get it. Same as Russo. I think they make sense in their mind, but their logic doesn't add up when discussing wrestling. Disco truly wonders why Russo is hated by Spike.

He's working an angle to draw people to his show.

I think you are totally barking up the wrong tree.

Listen to his podcast last week interviewing Daffney. This isn't a knock on his issues with depression either. But he seems like he is on the verge of mental breakdown obsessing about the internet and his public image. Bischoff takes shots at sheets but at least those are sporadic and he has a lot of outside business interests. I hope his wife or a friend rips his Wifi out the wall for his sake.

He is lashing out and contradicting himself too much to be "working the marks."

Guest Eduardo James

Here's the official statement from Russo:

As always, there has been much rumor, hearsay and scuttlebutt surrounding certain topics concerning myself, TNA and Spike TV. At this point in time, having parted ways with TNA and the ability to finally speak freely–there are a few things that I would like to set the record straight on.

1. As I stated earlier this week on the VIP Section of pyroandballyhoo.com, I was officially hired by John Gaburick as a creative consultant on October 24, 2013, with the plan being that it could lead to a permanent position in the future. At the time of my hiring, the specific instructions laid down to me by Dixie Carter,was that if anyone was to find out about our working relationship outside of me, herself and Gaburick—it would come to an end. I asked why the blanket of secrecy from the start—but never received an answer. Almost 9 months later, when an e-mail that I had accidentally sent out to a third-party was brought to the forefront, Gaburick was untruthful in telling the source involved that I was recently hired to produce the TNA announcers.

2. John Gaburick told me sometime in January/February that at a recent TV taping, he DID INDEED tell Spike representative Scott Fishman, that I was working with TNA as a consultant. He even went as far as to tell me that Scott “was cool” with it. Therefore, the story that Spike just found out about my involvement with TNA merely weeks ago, which caused them to not renew their TNA contract, is an ABSOLUTE MISTRUTH. Spike knew of my TNA presence some 6-plus months prior.

3. YES, I am 100% GUILTY of trying to work that said source who received the e-mail, in an effort to protect the wishes of my employer. I regret even agreeing to be dishonest, deceitful and untruthful from the beginning, but the TRUTH is that I needed the income, so I agreed to the verbal restraints that were dictated to me from the start. I regret that now. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have never accepted the job under those circumstances being that my ability to be honest and truthful with family and friends was taken from me.

I hope that clears up many of the rumors that have surrounded me as of late. I take full responsibility for LYING to protect the wishes of my former company, but that is the extent of my responsibility. If I could do it all over again, I would have turned down the job under those guidelines, regardless of the financials involved.

There is much more to this story, but I choose to lay it out one step at a time due to the intricacies of the situation. I just feel it is VITAL at this time to, again, get this point across—if John Gaburick did indeed tell me the truth—that he informed Spike representative Scott Fishman of my working relationship with TNA back at the beginning of the year—then SPIKE TV HAD FULL KNOWLEDGE THAT I WAS WORKING WITH TNA OVER SIX MONTHS AGO.

In going forward, my focus becomes 100% on my website pyroandballyhoo.com, and those who choose to go along with me on my journey. In addition to that, there are a couple of projects I’m currently working on and just wanted to share with you briefly.

-I am in talks to further develop a script that my son Will and I wrote about a year ago called Belle of the Brawl – the premise of the show involves a fictional wrestling company owned and operated by a woman.

- Also, I plan on writing the third installment of my wrestling trilogy series that will go into detail concerning my 10 year run with TNA from start to finish. The title of the book is Total Non-Stop Agony, and the plans are to release it digitally through pyroandballyhoo.com.

In conclusion, after 20 years of dedicating my blood, sweat and tears to three major wrestling organizations, without ever holding anything back, and always delivering the best product I possibly could, I think it’s fair to say that that portion of my life has officially come to an end…

…or has it???

Peace,

Vince Russo

http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/spike-actually-told-working-tna/

It baffles me that there's people who are not only Russo fans, but are willing to buy Russo merchandise.

Guest Eduardo James

Also, I don't think he's working or trying to work. He's mentioned depression and admitted to needing income so it's probably just the stress from losing the only job he's qualified for. Good luck opening a video store these days or writing for a wrestling magazine.

So who is going to be the one to put down $3 and share all of THIS with us?

• Exclusive, in-depth VIDEO interviews with wrestling’s biggest stars, conducted by Vince Russo!
  • Vince Russo’s Raw review every Monday
  • Vince Russo’s Smackdown review every Tuesday
  • Wrestling 101 w/ Professor Russo
  • Member access only blog posts, news, and analysis from Vince Russo and his team.
  • Behind-the-scenes, personal footage of Vince Russo as you’ve never seen him before.
  • Much, much more!

I wouldn't even read it for free if someone DID pay $3 to repeat Russo's wisdom here.

He's working an angle to draw people to his show.

Yeah, I know he's doing a grandstand challenge, but I'm not sure he could possibly come across more annoying and obnoxious.

If only he was charging $9.99 a month!

"Total Non-Stop Agony" is a good name for a book.

Subtitle: How TNA killed Vince Russo.

Anyway Night 2 of 3. The talent were told there's no update on TV negotiations.

I get the feeling there won't be any update and Dixie and the other investors are just trying to make an exit as quietly as possible before moving on to their next venture.

Also, I don't think he's working or trying to work. He's mentioned depression and admitted to needing income so it's probably just the stress from losing the only job he's qualified for. Good luck opening a video store these days or writing for a wrestling magazine.

He's probably hoping to get a (paying) spot as a talking head on the Network.

I beg to differ.