Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling

goodhelmet

Absolutely. I actually started listening to this yesterday at the gym and was going to finish today, but not sure I have the interest. How much time do I want to listen to someone complain about how the owners and executives of WWE conduct business when his sole purpose for doing so is a means for the owners and executives of CM Punk to conduct business? I don't fault anybody for running their shop, but let's not pretend there's anything so special here. This is rasslin, not exactly negotiating peace, hostages or WMDs in the Middle East. Nothing I've heard thus far or read has my eyes popping out.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah, there's no way that Punk and Cabana got together and laid out when and where to do this interview so it would have the maximum impact for all of them and be a great name bumper for Punk right before he makes his big UFC announcement. Like I said before, really smart and calculating from both guys, but they obviously knew what they were doing in regards to formatting and releasing the podcast.

There's always going to be some form of work, they are wrestlers.

We talked about this off-air on the last Titans recording, but Punk had a lot of good reasons to do it with Cabana. It doesn't hurt his cred, but in fact adds to it, it's true to his brand identity, and they are legit mates. Completely different from if he'd done it with Jericho or Austin.

I have no issue with him doing it the way he did, it was a perfect situation for him and Cabana to exploit. In the end they did, bringing far more ears, and sponsors most likely, to Cabana's show while Punk aired his grievances in a setting he could control and got his name in the public headspace again right before he made his UFC announcement. Where I find foolishness is the people who don't think this was a calculated business decision by both men to exploit their friendship for the best possible financial and notoriety gain.

Inclined to agree with you there. Punk needed to do it in a way that was "true to his indie roots" because that's his cred and that's his brand image.

They aren't stupid. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a possible future WWE run with Colt as Punk's sidekick wasn't even part of their thinking.

I don't doubt that a lot, if not 100%, of the things Punk said were coming from a sincere place, but to think that him and Colt didn't sit around having *that* discussion is naive.

Incidentally, I think a lot of the things Vince said were coming from a sincere place too. People have a habit of seeing things from their own perspectives.

None of what you guys are saying is a shock. Punk said the only reason it wasn't done sooner was because when the settlement was finalized, Cabana was in Japan and then Punk was in L.A.

Earlier in the year, he said something to the effect of ... 1. Going to write a comic 2. Going to start a podcast. 3. Going to MMA. 2 of the 3 are the truth. Now we know which ones are the truth. Maybe somebody can go find out what the three choices were.

I just don't get folks being all "Ah Ha! Carny! He planned it !"

Who cares? And he could have gone on a million different platforms to vent and he chose his best friend. That's fucking cool, sorry.

Yeah, I'm not sure why we're supposed to be angry he was savvy?

Meanwhile, is it just me or is it possible he decided to be more clear/emphatic in part 2 about how willing he would've been to go back to WWE if they just let him rest and didn't treat him like he quit forever? Like he was walking back the health issues enough that it wouldn't clash with him becoming a prize fighter.

I just don't get folks being all "Ah Ha! Carny! He planned it !"

Who cares? And he could have gone on a million different platforms to vent and he chose his best friend. That's fucking cool, sorry.

Yeah, I'm not sure why we're supposed to be angry he was savvy?

Meanwhile, is it just me or is it possible he decided to be more clear/emphatic in part 2 about how willing he would've been to go back to WWE if they just let him rest and didn't treat him like he quit forever? Like he was walking back the health issues enough that it wouldn't clash with him becoming a prize fighter.

I think anytime someone gets one over on WWE, we should be happy for them, given how they routinely mishandle and mistreat talent. That said, I do believe that Punk's Wellness complaints against WWE have been watered down by immediately signing for the meatgrinder that is UFC, which pretty much eliminates the possibility that anything will change now.

It will be interesting to see how the ACs handle this. I didn't realise this until I started searching for info about the Illinois commission, whose jurisdiction Punk will be under if his debut is in Chicago, they recently denied boxer Pawel Wolak a pro MMA license because he hadn't had any amateur MMA fights under his belt.

That's going to be a non-issue for anyone under the UFC banner, unless something is amiss with his physical. They have buddied up to the AC's all over the country. It's not a fly by night promotion like I assume the one you referenced was (though I may certainly be wrong).