Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling

goodhelmet

Perhaps its due to the Alphabet Soup of title belts and events are arranged more by the venue as the promoter, or two-bit car salesmen like the Don Kings and Bob Arums where...well its everyone singularly out for themselves as opposed to an organization, while MMA promotions are organized as wrestling promotions are (UFC, Bellator, etc). To say nothing about MMA shows occurring on a more frequent basis and boxers can sometimes go a year between title bouts, even in the heydays of the sport.

Arum, who has survived as a top promoter for 40 years, is a two-bit car salesman? But Dana White is what? An enduring paragon of virtue? Boxing is a mess, no doubt, and this has been a messy year for it. But let's not forget the biggest fight that could be made--Pac-Mayweather-- would do twice the buys of any MMA fight out there. And Floyd is a far bigger star than a St. Pierre or Silva. Meanwhile, UFC's 2014 was pretty much a disaster.

People are always a little too quick to declare boxing dead just as MMA fans are a little too quick to forget there are a lot of people like Vince, who still think it's a faddish blood sport. I'm not saying that's right, but it is reality.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I crazy to think that Vince should lean hard into this. I know it's not 97 and WWE is publicly traded now but if they went all out and presented this as Pro Wrestling bullshit and he came at Austin in full Mr. McMahon mode, even with Austin calling him on it, and they announced in the days of the lead up that he'd be commenting heavily on this... would it give them the sort of buzz for the network they were looking for? I have a feeling, like they have time and time again, they could sweep this under the rug as "pro wrestling is fake and so is this," and get a lot of people to sign up for the network for at least a month at the same time.

From Twitter:

Mick Foley ✔ @realmickfoley
I haven't heard the new @CMPunk interview, but it sounds like I need to. Congratulations @ColtCabana for landing the big one!

Colt Cabana ✔ @ColtCabana
@realmickfoley its not about landing anything Mick... It's about giving my friend a safe place to talk. I'm not competing with anyone.

Kind of a dickhead response by Colt, no?

Mick, all class, lived up to his reputation as one of the nicest people in wrestling with his reply to that:

Well put @ColtCabana. I should have phrased that a little better.

Yea, I think we're starting to dig a little too deep to find a story now.

No, I'm not "digging to find a story" - there's no "story" here because the veteran Mick quickly defused it - but Colt was kind of harsh IMO. Seemed unnecessary to me.

I thought the exchange was worth pointing out because everyone always wonders why "asshole Punk" is best friends with "funny nice guy Colt." Well, at least in this instance, Colt seems like kind of self-righteous douche too. (I like Punk and Colt, but no need to nominate them for sainthood.)

Yea, I think we're starting to dig a little too deep to find a story now.

No, I'm not "digging to find a story" - there's no "story" here because the veteran Mick quickly defused it - but Colt was kind of harsh IMO. Seemed unnecessary to me.

I thought the exchange was worth pointing out because everyone always wonders why "asshole Punk" is best friends with "funny nice guy Colt." Well, at least in this instance, Colt seems like kind of self-righteous douche too. (I like Punk and Colt, but no need to nominate them for sainthood.)

You don't "land" an interview with your own friend, which was the exact point being made at the end of the show about other wrestling personalities contacting Punk for their benefit. Foley didn't "difuse" anything, he owned up to mischaracterizing their relationship. The end.

Also, not to nitpick, but Punk said "the next day or the next week, HHH walks Mayweather to the fucking ring". It wasn't that soon, it was almost four months later, as Sonnen-Bisping was on January 2012, while Mayweather-Cotto was on May 2012.

Willing to bet there was a lot of exaggeration throughout all of it as far as timing/communciation. Getting called back two weeks later, asking about the check for 2 months etc.

Finally got a download link after not being able to grab it on my phone via downcast or iphone's podcast app since it went live.

I think Punk mentioned Michael Hayes right before going into the staph business, so I was confused for a long time as he was describing what 'Dok' or 'the Doc' was doing, and how 'Doc' had a ritual of cutting open these growths in the locker room. Thought it was good ol' Doc Hendrix, but an md makes much more sense!

jdw aka 'the objective' is back, baby!!

That generally happens when you create your own character for a company, or are in the middle of a long run and getting jerked around because editorial demands you do tie-ins with events.

There aren't any job health hazzard (well carpal tunnel for art related chores), and even though he probably won't need it, there are organzations out there set up to help down on their luck and destitute creators (going back to the late 1970s).

It might be as insane, insular and carny like, but NOT even close to the same in terms of toxic work environments!

What's going to happen once he realises the comic book business is full of all sorts of bullshit too? I wonder what sort of job this guy is really cut out for.

He just doesn't work, he's financially set for life.

He'd get bored of that after a while. It seems like he's already looking for a creative outlet with this Marvel gig, and since he feels his wrestling career was a failure he'd probably like to succeed at something else.

Thought it was interesting when Colt was talking about Punk doing the podcast instead of taking money for a shoot interview and then going off (rightfully) about bootleggers, mentioning that Take Down Piracy guy and bringing up Wrestling Road Diaries... all entirely justified, before he follows up with a line about him stealing property from WWE.

Also, he's a grown man and a millionaire. Surely he's capable of determining whether or not he's physically capable of wrestling and seeking medical treatment as needed?

Having a million dollars = you're a qualified GP.

I have a platform with millions of potential readers.

So does everyone, it's called the internet.

Never heard a CM Punk interview before, and for all the talk about him being an asshole, he came off pretty great to me. I can totally relate to this guy's attitude. Nothing earth shatering about the WWE that we didn't knew before (Hunter being a douche really isn't a revelation, likewise the overall pettiness of the company) but the staph infection story is still quite amazing in itself.

Gotta say... I popped for the part where Colt cracks up, talking about how Punk actually blocked WWE on Twitter WHILE still working for them.

But yeah. Great interview. Good stuff.

Punk's personality - whether it's grating to you or not - really brings the stories to life in a lot of ways though. He never came across as overly or unnecessarily bitter, in my view. And that could have EASILY been the case at certain spots.

Also, not to nitpick, but Punk said "the next day or the next week, HHH walks Mayweather to the fucking ring". It wasn't that soon, it was almost four months later, as Sonnen-Bisping was on January 2012, while Mayweather-Cotto was on May 2012.

Hate to add on against Punk but Triple H was in Mayweather's corner in 2009 when Floyd fought Juan Manuel Marquez. Also I've seen Batista walk with Pacquiao in some of his fights.

Punk has to chalk it up that Vince didn't want him to do it. Plain and simple.

Did Vince really call him Phil? I thought everybody called him Punk

They probably do, but Vince is the exception to the rule. I seem to recall that he tends to use real names (even if the wrestler in question rarely goes by their real name when not using their character name, eg, a wrestler known by another nickname IRL) when talking with most of the guys behind the scenes. Probably something along the lines of "I'm your boss, but also your surrogate father".