Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling

goodhelmet

While I tend to side with Punk, if there's one criticism I do think is valid, it's that he is pretty aloof at times. What's best for CM Punk was not always what was best for WWE, yet he seemed to think it was. Cena seems far more capable than Punk of stepping outside of himself.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Punk shitting on the dummy fans who say stupid shit like "If you're straight edge then why did you get anasthesia when you had surgery?"

That's not as bad as the ones who do the same thing about antibiotics, thinking straightedge = anti-pharmaceuticals.

Heard an interesting reason today as to why Punk wanting sponsors for himself and the boys is a potentially bad idea..

It could possibly mess with booking. Let's say one guy is sponsored by Pizza Hut and his opponent by Dominoes.. Could Pizza Hut cut in on say.. a Mania match and say "If our guy doesn't win at Mania, we're dropping him."..

I don't think that will be a problem. WWE likes the even-steven-booking. Guys trade wins anyways. So if Pizza Hut went over on Monday, Dominos has nothing to worry about as their guy will get his win back come Smackdown! Brock Lesnar has lost some matches and I don't think Jack's Links or Jimmy John's have any issues with it regardless of how he loses. Those brands are getting shown to 3-5 million people everytime Lesnar pops onto Raw and shown to a minimum of 15,000 people and over 100K on PPV.

I don't get the whole advertising on trunks thing. Who the fuck ever saw the Jimmy Johns logo on Brock's ass and said " I've never eaten one of their awful subs but now I'll give it a try ."?

"I've always thought Slim Jims taste like a mixture of asshole and grease, but if Punk wore their logo I might reconsider!" Said no one ever.

Heard an interesting reason today as to why Punk wanting sponsors for himself and the boys is a potentially bad idea..

It could possibly mess with booking. Let's say one guy is sponsored by Pizza Hut and his opponent by Dominoes.. Could Pizza Hut cut in on say.. a Mania match and say "If our guy doesn't win at Mania, we're dropping him."..

You would think that WWE would limit sponsorship to one company per market.

I don't get the whole advertising on trunks thing. Who the fuck ever saw the Jimmy Johns logo on Brock's ass and said " I've never eaten one of their awful subs but now I'll give it a try ."?

"I've always thought Slim Jims taste like a mixture of asshole and grease, but if Punk wore their logo I might reconsider!" Said no one ever.

It's all part of creating more brand awareness, the more people think about Jimmy Johns the more likely they are to buy Jimmy Johns. The target for advertising aren't people who never tried it, but more people who occasionally buy Jimmy John subs and trying to get them to have the product in their mind so they buy more often

Jimmy Johns is awful indeed.

others have addressed this and i can at least understand that logic for TV shows.

but if you think THAT'S bad, companies are now sponsoring professional video game players and doing the same thing there. it's even happening in my old neck of the woods (fighting games), where the major tournaments get maybe 10-15,000 viewers at their peak. they do have their Wrestlemania equivalent that does way better, but even that's still only 100k viewers or so.

people will jump on this stuff even if there's no money in it currently - they just have to believe there WILL be money in it eventually.

We're really just talking about 'why advertise?' Which, granted, I think everyone asks every once in a while.

Besides the lifts thing (which I didn't realize was a Jericho reference), I thought Punk came down much easier on Jericho this time. Said Jericho likely thinks he knows just what Punk is going through given the former's own bitter departure(s) and then returns.

Maybe it's because the medical things are so over the top and I can't relate, but (of course, this is if...if...if everything is true) hearing the run of the mill grievances in this segment got to me just as much. Maybe because there were so many of them. Slim Jim/Wizard World/LA Ink/video game (complete with an e-mail chain wherein the company tries to argue against the publisher's request for Punk on the cover!). And one of the few things I remember from the Laurinaitis/Punk feud was the reveal of the next video game cover, so he wouldn't have turned yet. And checking wiki...looks like the cover reveal was in May, but the game wasn't released until October.

He's not wrong about the Vince apology either.

It's all part of creating more brand awareness, the more people think about Jimmy Johns the more likely they are to buy Jimmy Johns. The target for advertising aren't people who never tried it, but more people who occasionally buy Jimmy John subs and trying to get them to have the product in their mind so they buy more often

It also has you thinking of Jimmy John's--and not Subway, or Quizno's.

I'm not going to go all Hail Corporate here, but I have to trust that these companies generally know what they're doing.

I live in the North East where we don't have any Jimmy Johns. I'd never heard of it before. Jack Links I see around in convenience stores or maybe a Walmart here and there, but it's not a super common thing to see in this area (and as a big fan of beef jerky I'll try about any brand once, and I've tried a few Jacks Links products and didn't like them).......but Brock being a sponsor for those products at least put them on the map for me and made me curious about them. And that's the whole point of sponsorships really. It's been very effectively used in MMA, and in all sports really. If you watch UFC and see some fighter who's cool and a badass and wins in an impressive fashion, and he's wearing gear from some company, you're gonna naturally at least be interested in it and maybe think that brand is cool and something you might want to wear. I'm not one of those d-bags who would wear those bro-tastic Affliction or Tapout t-shirts, but there were a lot of people wearing that stuff, so you can't deny the power of advertising

But Johnny Jimmy Johns offers smells for free. You can't beat that!!!

In no way would I ever be intrigued about a product because an athlete I like wears their logo. I find that ridiculous. It's not like a TV or radio spot where I might be interested in trying something because of an ad. Take Jimmy Johns for example. When they arrived here they deluged the radio with ads about their fast delivery which led to me ordering from them the next time I wanted to get lunch delivered. Then I learned that their subs taste like ass. But seeing a logo? That's bonkers.

Jimmy John's and places like that aren't really out to convince you to eat their stuff then and there when they advertise in that manner. They're out to get you to *think* about their stuff. They don't seriously expect you to watch a Brock Lesnar match and then order up a sub from them...but they've planted themselves in your head, and maybe a day or two later when you're considering your lunch options, maybe that comes to mind before Subway does (and clearly not everyone shares the same opinion about the quality of their food). There's major value in getting customers to "pick what they know."

Of course some places advertise more than others. Chipotle buys a lot of billboards but I've never, ever seen a TV ad and I've heard one radio spot of theirs in my life. Five Guys more famously doesn't advertise at all.

So yeah, there's no way that Punk and Cabana got together and laid out when and where to do this interview so it would have the maximum impact for all of them and be a great name bumper for Punk right before he makes his big UFC announcement. Like I said before, really smart and calculating from both guys, but they obviously knew what they were doing in regards to formatting and releasing the podcast.