Pro Wrestling Only

CM Punk on Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling

goodhelmet

Gotta say... I popped for the part where Colt cracks up, talking about how Punk actually blocked WWE on Twitter WHILE still working for them.

Oh, he's such a rebel that Punk! He blocked the company he worked for on Twitter, what a wacky, crazy and funny guy he is! Zzzz

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say... I popped for the part where Colt cracks up, talking about how Punk actually blocked WWE on Twitter WHILE still working for them.

Oh, he's such a rebel that Punk! He blocked the company he worked for on Twitter, what a wacky, crazy and funny guy he is! Zzzz

Definitely qualifies Punk for inclusion in the legitimate badasses thread.

I believe Jericho when he said he didn't have an agenda in reaching out to Punk. I also can understand why Punk interpreted Jericho as wanting him to do the podcast when he reached out since that seems to be the focal point of their interactions prior to Punk leaving. I wonder, if it hasn't been recorded yet, if somebody could ask Punk to address Jericho's response.

I do find it funny that everyone thinks Colt wasn't pretty much doing exactly what Punk accused Jericho of wanting to do. Sure, Cabana and Punk are friends, but Cabana is all about making money and getting his name out there as much as possible. There's no way that he didn't view his friendship with Punk as a way to get a lot more ears turned his way.

I don't think there is much of a difference, and if anything it makes Punk look like a jerk for automatically assuming that Jericho was only interested in making a buck off of him. Cabana and Punk can be the best of friends, but Cabana is someone who has proven time and again that he only really cares about his visibility and his money. He was calculated in getting this interview, and it's not something I hold against him, because it's obviously put him back in the minds of even casual wrestling fans and will probably end up making him more money from advertisers.

Who are you to make judgments on a friendship that you know next to nothing about?

Leaving other Colt issues aside, there's something really off-putting about making accusations that Colt was using his friend or something. Sure he must have known it would be a big deal (maybe not how big it has become), but why is that a bad thing? Punk does his friend a favor and wants to be on his show and somehow Colt is a money grabbing shyster?

Who are you to make judgments on a friendship that you know next to nothing about?

Leaving other Colt issues aside, there's something really off-putting about making accusations that Colt was using his friend or something. Sure he must have known it would be a big deal (maybe not how big it has become), but why is that a bad thing? Punk does his friend a favor and wants to be on his show and somehow Colt is a money grabbing shyster?

It was a win-win for both. Cabana got the big scoop, Punk got his story out and didn't have to deal with some annoying interviewer. They both knew what they were doing.

There's no "using" of anyone in the situation. Punk clearly stated he'd rather talk to a friend than an interviewer. The calculation came on Punk wanting to tell his side of the story. He's even stopped in on Colt's podcast a couple times since leaving just to shoot the shit. They're all in the business together, but this idea that this was a "business first"-type of interview is hilarious to me. If it was about what was best for the CM Punk name or what have you, there's way larger platforms than Colt's he could have done it on.

That's not vitriol, that's just the way Colt is and I really don't find anything wrong with that. Everything he does is to make himself money or get himself more visibility and he's really good at it. There's nothing wrong with that and pointing out that his decisions are clearly driven by those factors isn't vitriol.

Just listened to the podcast. I'm curious if WWE will try to take any petty potshots at CM Punk on RAW tonight. I fully expect a skit with Triple H or Ryback picking on a whining quitter or something.

As was stated earlier in the thread, nothing was really said that I think any of us didn't foresee coming. It was still pretty surreal to hear it from the horse's mouth though.

Punk seems to buy into a lot of his own hype but I guess in pro-wrestling, you have to have that sort of mindset to be successful at the top level. I would think as a wrestler, wrestling The Undertaker at Wrestlemania would be a pretty big deal. Punk was aiming even higher than that.

I didn't expect to hear the parts about Ryback. The medical issues are scary but sadly not overly surprising. Even in 2014 pro-wrestling seems like just a meat locker.

That's not vitriol, that's just the way Colt is and I really don't find anything wrong with that. Everything he does is to make himself money or get himself more visibility and he's really good at it. There's nothing wrong with that and pointing out that his decisions are clearly driven by those factors isn't vitriol.

Perhaps the Rorschach mask is inhibiting your ability to grasp how others will perceive your words.

I do find it funny that everyone thinks Colt wasn't pretty much doing exactly what Punk accused Jericho of wanting to do. Sure, Cabana and Punk are friends, but Cabana is all about making money and getting his name out there as much as possible. There's no way that he didn't view his friendship with Punk as a way to get a lot more ears turned his way.

Considering Colt's reaction to Foley's using the "landed" term, I'd say Colt has heard that same reaction that you are saying often this weekend.

I just recognize Cabana for the smart business man he is. He's using his friendship with Punk to get himself more visibility and more money, there's really nothing wrong with that.

Then why did it take until Thanksgiving, and not around a month ago when the legal mess was finally sorted out?

Hell, my only beef with Punk in all of this was his radio slience since it started. If Colt is as business first as you say, he'd have Punk on right away for a few minute "shit is going down right now, respect my fucking privacy" or at various points during the spring/summer and fall.

It's all about timing, and right now was the right time for Colt, and for Punk. I think they both knew what they were doing in terms of when the interview was released, the format, who did the interviewing, etc. None of this changes the legitimacy of the interview, just makes Punk and Cabana come across as smart businessmen.