Pro Wrestling Only

WrestleMania 31...

goodhelmet

I think its pretty smart. Rollins has come in a stole the belt and he's like a Tully or HTM champ. He's got three automatic contenders in Brock and Reigns who he screwed and in Orton who beat him clean earlier.

That's three shows to headline right there.

Plus after that match, Reigns should have established himself and be way more over with the boo boys now.

You know what else? Not a single person talking about Daniel Bryan. I think it's very clever.

All this, and we don't get Reigns vs. Big Show and/or Kane. Well, we still might, but it won't be the headlining feud for the title.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd put Bryan with Harper, for definite. Make that a Best of Seven.

Not believable in the least. In kayfabe and the eyes of the fans DB should win that series 7-0. It wasn't long ago that he was beating HHH, Batista and Orton back to back, and to most people Harper is just a characterless midcard nothing.

People probably said the same thing about Booker T, or even Benoit, before he had his best of 7 series with Benoit. Sometimes, well often times, to make a star you have to take chances and elevate. I don't care for Rollins, but at least he's someone new that they are elevating. Having Harper hold his own against Bryan would be a coming out moment, and there's really no reason to not take a chance on him.

And I'm curious as to what everyone thinks was the better alternative.

Sticking to their guns. Roman Reigns being crowned the champion, taking advantage of the one mistake, the one weak moment/lucky strike to put Brock down. The spear was the perfect moment to do it.

Seemed like they built a flawless match up to that moment where they had finally got Reigns over as a credible, deserving, authentic champion after an all out war where he proved himself, and then changed directions once again. The whole booking is fucking ADD, and has been for years. Too much chasing hashtags and not enough definitive, concrete angles with compelling stories and emphatic conclusions.

Sticking to their guns. Roman Reigns being crowned the champion, taking advantage of the one mistake, the one weak moment/lucky strike to put Brock down. The spear was the perfect moment to do it.

Seemed like they built a flawless match up to that moment where they had finally got Reigns over as a credible, deserving, authentic champion after an all out war where he proved himself, and then changed directions once again. The whole booking is fucking ADD, and has been for years. Too much chasing hashtags and not enough definitive, concrete angles with compelling stories and emphatic conclusions.

Fans were TOTALLY buying Reigns after that spear. You're right. Totally. The boos spoke to that.

I like Rollins as champ. He has beef with every important face in the company and every title match will feel like he can lose it.

I also liked the booking because Reigns looked incredible and but didn't get the "chosen one" ending. I think crowds will stop resenting him and his coronation will feel special as it should.

Outcome 4: Reigns beats Lesnar. Rollins attempts the cash-in with the help of The Authority... who all immediately abandon him for Reigns. He gets killed after one spear, we get a double turn putting guys into their natural roles, and I don't have to watch the guy who wrestles every match like he's Ultimo Dragon against Big Show as the New Cerebral Assassin.

Oh, do people still believe the company will still go through with the "re build the IC/US titles" plan? I say they forget about it by May or June.

After reddit sent HHH a fruit basket after NXT Takeover I wonder if someone is gonna send a couple of kilos of Colombia's finest to Vince.

I was worried about the ending, but at least the WWE got a reaction that didn't totally kill the end of the show, which I think would have happened if Reigns had won. I would've prefered Brock winning, but this opens up a bunch of possibilties for the title picture now

You're suggesting that there's going to be a rematch with that much on the line again? Only scenario I could see like that is Reigns getting another title shot against monster Brock at a WrestleMania to come. If they have that much attention span, which the WWE usually does not. I guess an alternative could have been that build to Rollins coming into the match and then helping Reigns get the win for a sort of Shield reunion. Not that it would have set things up any better than that did.

My friend and I talked about this being the likely finish for WM. It's gotten too predictable.

Thought the show was thoroughly forgettable, but no real surprise since Vince has been lazy for years now.

Really? I thought it was a masterclass. Maybe Pat Patterson was in town for more than just a shout out.

Think about it.

1. Outcome 1, Reigns wins. Fans say: the company are pushing their man, Bryan, Bryan, wah, wah.

2. Outcome 2, Lesnar wins. Fans say: the title is on a guy who only works three dates a year, wah, wah.

3. Outcome 3, Rollins wins after Lesnar and Reigns have a great match, sense of injustice for Reigns who is now a "great worker" in the fans eyes, sense of injustice for Brock (now a face too) after he lost the title without getting pinned.

Or Outcome 4, Rollins wins after Lesnar and Reigns have a great match, the fans are deflated by months of boring authority bullshit, heel beatdowns and endless promos, Reigns becomes lost in the shuffle after losing his big match, the fans shit on him even more as any aura he had is gone, Brock without the belt becomes a novelty attraction never showing up to hype his feuds and not having the title as an anchor to keep him in the line of vision, the product carries on being as stale and tedious as it has been for the last few months.

The only reason it makes sense to have Seth Rollins as champion is because there are a lot of face challengers. Problem is, he has wrestled most of them multiple times already. If Roman Reigns wins the strap you can feed him Sheamus, Rollins, Barrett, Wyatt and then have massive matches with Rusev [summerslam], Daniel Bryan [survivor Series], Brock Lesnar [Royal Rumble], John Cena [Wrestlemania] and then build to a match with The Rock. Of course, that would require long term strategy and the idea that they would push someone and stick with that push.

Authority wasn't out to celebrate with Rollins. If anything, him doing it on his own means he's out on his own. Let's not assume Authority involvement here.

And I'm curious as to what everyone thinks was the better alternative. Brock winning outright would have been fine, sure, but then you've definitely wasted Reigns and now the backlash is on wasting a guy who could definitely still be a top guy. With the way this was booked, because they were booked into a corner, it's the best possible scenario.

I am not 100% sure that Reigns would have been in a worse position had he lost to Brock cleanly (after all of those kick outs) than he is having lost to Rollins after the cash in. At best, the difference seems insignificant. I agree that Rollins needed to end up with the title. I think something like Brock beats Rollins, Brock is really hurt himself, and Rollins cashes in immediately would have accomplished the same thing without changing the match into a 3-way at the end. Maybe I am wrong and that scenario would have had both Brock and Rollins come out looking weaker than they did, but I don't see it.

Even if that was their only choice after the corner they booked themselves into, that still doesn't change the fact that they booked themselves in a corner. Maybe that's right and that was the best decision for an ending at that point, but that doesn't mean the ending still wasn't "bad" on some level. The best answer is not always a great answer.

Fans were TOTALLY buying Reigns after that spear. You're right. Totally. The boos spoke to that.

The live crowd were going to boo whatever. Cena got booed out of the building for years, doesn't mean they didn't buy him as world champion. The spear was the perfect point to end it.

My friend and I talked about this being the likely finish for WM. It's gotten too predictable.

Thought the show was thoroughly forgettable, but no real surprise since Vince has been lazy for years now.

Really? I thought it was a masterclass. Maybe Pat Patterson was in town for more than just a shout out.

Think about it.

1. Outcome 1, Reigns wins. Fans say: the company are pushing their man, Bryan, Bryan, wah, wah.

2. Outcome 2, Lesnar wins. Fans say: the title is on a guy who only works three dates a year, wah, wah.

3. Outcome 3, Rollins wins after Lesnar and Reigns have a great match, sense of injustice for Reigns who is now a "great worker" in the fans eyes, sense of injustice for Brock (now a face too) after he lost the title without getting pinned.

Or Outcome 4, Rollins wins after Lesnar and Reigns have a great match, the fans are deflated by months of boring authority bullshit, heel beatdowns and endless promos, Reigns becomes lost in the shuffle after losing his big match, the fans shit on him even more as any aura he had is gone, Brock without the belt becomes a novelty attraction never showing up to hype his feuds and not having the title as an anchor to keep him in the line of vision, the product carries on being as stale and tedious as it has been for the last few months.

The only reason it makes sense to have Seth Rollins as champion is because there are a lot of face challengers. Problem is, he has wrestled most of them multiple times already. If Roman Reigns wins the strap you can feed him Sheamus, Rollins, Barrett, Wyatt and then have massive matches with Rusev [summerslam], Daniel Bryan [survivor Series], Brock Lesnar [Royal Rumble], John Cena [Wrestlemania] and then build to a match with The Rock. Of course, that would require long term strategy and the idea that they would push someone and stick with that push.

I'd put Bryan with Harper, for definite. Make that a Best of Seven.

Not believable in the least. In kayfabe and the eyes of the fans DB should win that series 7-0. It wasn't long ago that he was beating HHH, Batista and Orton back to back, and to most people Harper is just a characterless midcard nothing.

People probably said the same thing about Booker T, or even Benoit, before he had his best of 7 series with Benoit.

Don't even know what this means. So they thought both Booker-T and Benoit were going to lose 7-0? Booker-T and Chris Benoit were reasonably equal when the series was booked. Daniel Bryan is an incredibly over guy who has headlined Wrestlemania and beaten every big name in the company, Luke Harper is someone who has no character, no motivation and is presented as a midcard nonentity, who has never had or won a meaningful singles match.

I haven't read this thread yet but I loved this show. I was marking out all over the place. The pop that Ronda got was amazing! Was happy with the swerve in the main event too. Was OK with Cena winning and Bryan as IC champ. Even the pre-show tag match was a fun spot fest. Liked the show a lot. Will probably watch it again later.

Also, that RKO was fucking amazing!

I tried to make this point on Twitter, but that's awfully tough with the character limits. I really see that main event as a case of WWE failing to deliver a finish to their promised main event on the biggest show of the year. The booking felt like a similar fan ripoff to the Fingerpoke of Doom or Orton-Bryan at Night of Champions 2013 with the Dusty finish. Cashing in after the main event has concluded is a booking choice. Cashing in via insertion into the match is dishonest promoting of what the main event is. It left a sour taste in my mouth at the end of an otherwise terrific show.

I tried to make this point on Twitter, but that's awfully tough with the character limits. I really see that main event as a case of WWE failing to deliver a finish to their promised main event on the biggest show of the year. The booking felt like a similar fan ripoff to the Fingerpoke of Doom or Orton-Bryan at Night of Champions 2013 with the Dusty finish. Cashing in after the main event has concluded is a booking choice. Cashing in via insertion into the match is dishonest promoting of what the main event is. It left a sour taste in my mouth at the end of an otherwise terrific show.

The matches you mentioned were matches fans wanted to see. This wasn't exactly a match fans were clamoring for. If during the build it was obvious people were excited for the match, that finish wouldn't have happened.