Pro Wrestling Only

Flair's podcast (WOOOOONation)

To be fair, Hogan's ego is probably no better than Flair's though they operate in different ways.

Not to bury Flair, but the pathetic comment is based on his public behavior, marriage problems, financial problems and all the other stuff not just his clinging to the spotlight.

I can see that. I can easily see Hogan willingly walk away from what he's doing now with the WWE and believably say "I don't need this, I have XYZ to fall back on to get my attention fix in." I can't say that about Flair.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me though or has Flair developed a weird speech impediment, like a lisp or something. He never did that when he was younger.

If memory serves me right I noticed that same thing back in 2005 or 2006 when I started watching WWE again for a while after not watching anything since 2001. It's distracting, I'd describe it as a lisp just as you did.

• 3 weeks later...

It always frustrates me when wrestlers seem unaware of any wrestling outside their bubble. Flair clearly didn't follow the WWF in the 90s when he was in WCW. Bret clearly never followed Flair as NWA champ. I know you could say the same for a lot of wrestlers, but I think it surprises me the most when it comes from great workers. You'd think they would want to be in tune with what everyone else is doing to either steal ideas or try to top them. I wonder if Bret has ever seen an All Japan match, or if Flair has ever seen one from the 90s, for example. I think there are more wrestlers now that keep up with everything, but they still seem to be a rare breed.

It always frustrates me when wrestlers seem unaware of any wrestling outside their bubble. Flair clearly didn't follow the WWF in the 90s when he was in WCW. Bret clearly never followed Flair as NWA champ. I know you could say the same for a lot of wrestlers, but I think it surprises me the most when it comes from great workers. You'd think they would want to be in tune with what everyone else is doing to either steal ideas or try to top them. I wonder if Bret has ever seen an All Japan match, or if Flair has ever seen one from the 90s, for example. I think there are more wrestlers now that keep up with everything, but they still seem to be a rare breed.

I can look past that. (Back then) Most were on the road every day and probably didn't have time to watch the competition or have the Internet at their fingertips. Today, most only wrestle on weekends and can watch stuff on YouTube, Wwe.com.

Bret didn't know Flair pre-WWF, but he seemed to know Austin (he's said he pushed Vince to go after the Hollywood Blonds). On the other hand, his book pretty strongly implies that he didn't and may still not know who Mitsuharu Misawa is. To him, the Tiger Mask he wrestled at the big Dome show was just a random, inferior substitute for the original.

I get it in the 80s, but Flair worked a far reduced schedule in the 90s, so not keeping up with the WWF guys during that time surprises me. He wasn't even aware on that show on the Network that Mike Tyson was the selling point for Wrestlemania 14, or that it was pretty much when the WWF turned around.

I get it in the 80s, but Flair worked a far reduced schedule in the 90s, so not keeping up with the WWF guys during that time surprises me. He wasn't even aware on that show on the Network that Mike Tyson was the selling point for Wrestlemania 14, or that it was pretty much when the WWF turned around.

Oh I agree. I don't get it if you're a wrestling fan (which we presume most wrestlers are), why aren't you watching everything. Maybe to pick up ideas, or spot talent, whatever.

Eh, wrestling's a job. Most people don't want to spend their time off the clock doing stuff related to their job. I think to a lot of the old-school wrestlers, they'd rather BS with their fellow wrestlers about wrestling instead of actually watching and following the product of other companies.

I loved the Abyss bit.

That was a great little story!

I haven't listened to all of the episodes but have enjoyed everyone that I've checked out so far (Meltzer, Okerlund and Foley). I also find that the length of the podcast at around an hour is a nice digestable length and I don't find myself losing interest as I can do with other podcasts that seem to never end at times.

One little thing I've noticed is that Flair seems acutely aware that some of the younger fans will remember him for the late WWE run. But that's also the run that he seems "closest" to. When he talks about Shawn carrying him and being genuinely grateful for it, I think he's being very sincere.

He also runs himself down a bit more than you might expect. Humble isn't necessarily a word I'd associate with Ric Flair, but he doesn't really brag on these shows. Makes me wonder if the awful appearance of him on Legends of Wrestling were either a. him being drunk (since you can be sure him and Okerlund went out after those shows, probably Hayes too) or b. him working some sort of schtick / kayfabe deal. He doesn't seem the same here at all. Maybe he's just at a different point in his life.

I do agree with Loss that it is painfully obvious that him and Bret were not aware of some of the matches the other were discussing. I kind of expect that though. The guys in the business who are the biggest wrestling nerds are guys who were not top workers -- Cornette, JJ Dillon, Jim Ross. Flair was on the road 300+ nights of the year and when he wasn't wrestling he was drinking or shagging. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who is going to sit down and watch DVDs.

His second banana has some issues but in general, I think he's good. He's knowledgeable for the most part, and there are times where he can chime in with a key focusing question. For instance, when Foley mentioned Gilbert, I barely wanted to hear what Flair had to say about him, even if it wasn't going to be that valuable, just the tone in which he'd talk about him, etc. And it was slipping away and Conrad (is that his name?) doubled back for it. I feel like maybe we'll never get another chance to hear Flair talk about Eddie Gilbert and we at least got 45 seconds of it.

I guess the Benoit-Jericho-Eddy-Rey generation was the first to really pay attention to everything, but probably the biggest reason was that they worked everywhere. But I know Daniel Bryan and Cesaro, for example, follow modern New Japan, and Bryan has said he feels that it's part of his job to be in tune with this stuff. Regal has always seemed pretty in tune with everything too.

It can be a good and a bad thing I think. Hyper-awareness is undoubtedly bad, as is guys copying things without really understanding them.

The older generation didn't learn by watching footage, they learned by taking car rides and on the job in the ring.

Flair clearly watched a lot of other wrestlers when he was younger and freely acknowledges his sources (Stevens, Brisco, Wahoo, Harley etc.), but I imagine the first time he saw a lot of guys wrestling in All Japan is when he was in the ring with them.