Pro Wrestling Only

Flair's podcast (WOOOOONation)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna lie. I'd pop huge for a Mongo appearance. I don't care how bad the guy stunk it up in the ring. He had a personality and a presence that just roared, "Four Horsemen." We'd probably get plenty of party stories, but it could still be fascinating to hear in-ring stuff from that crazy super-popular time period also.

As far as Lex goes, he has come across REALLY humble in all his appearances since the health issues. He seems completely cool about discussing things, his own shortcomings, etc. Doesn't seem to hold a single grudge, and that's great. I'll definitely be checking this one out.

I like the series so far. Austin's still my favorite interviewer by far, but this is a nice alternative for sure. Ric's personality and love of life in general is what sells me on it though. I don't know that I look at it like, "Well he's going to kick the bucket one day, so might as well enjoy him now..."

To me, that's at least a little morbid. I know it's a subconscious thing, and we all tend to treat elders that way in later years. But really. I don't want to enjoy the podcast because Flair's old. I want to enjoy the podcast for good conversations, entertaining stories, insight, and so on. As long as it holds up on that end - and it has so far - then yeah. Big thumbs up from me.

Also, Matt D, the exchange about Flair studying crowds before having his match so he could tweak the performance to suit the market AND Luger putting him over for being able to get a smarky crowd to boo him and cheer the face is the surest evidence we've had yet that Flair was a smart worker and not the "idiot savant" that you've painted him to be. Not just what Luger says, but what Flair says about the differences between a Baltimore crowd and a Chicago crowd, or a Charlotte crowd and a Philly crowd. Tell me he's not smart.

Also, the idea of him carrying a greener than grass Luger stupidly booked to go an hour in Florida is another testament to him as a great worker.

These are all things that you should consider next time these arguments come up. It would be stubborn and willfully overlooking eyewitness evidence from one of his long-term opponents to deny what Luger is saying on this show.

Also, Matt D, the exchange about Flair studying crowds before having his match so he could tweak the performance to suit the market AND Luger putting him over for being able to get a smarky crowd to boo him and cheer the face is the surest evidence we've had yet that Flair was a smart worker and not the "idiot savant" that you've painted him to be. Not just what Luger says, but what Flair says about the differences between a Baltimore crowd and a Chicago crowd, or a Charlotte crowd and a Philly crowd. Tell me he's not smart.

Also, the idea of him carrying a greener than grass Luger stupidly booked to go an hour in Florida is another testament to him as a great worker.

These are all things that you should consider next time these arguments come up. It would be stubborn and willfully overlooking eyewitness evidence from one of his long-term opponents to deny what Luger is saying on this show.

I think my post in the thread a few notches up would indicate that I am considering that, and even that I found it remarkable and worth noting.

At the same time, it's very striking to me that it took Luger (one might even say "Luger, of all people!") getting him half way to the point for him to start tackling this stuff.

If nothing else, I think there was a marked reluctance, almost bordering on frustration, that he had to adapt for a crowd like Philadelphia, when he'd much prefer to just be Ric Flair.

Still, a preference to be intellectually lazy is different than an inability to be intellectual at all, and yes, I will keep that in mind moving forward, in both what I listen to and in what I watch.

Sorry Matt, I legit missed that post.

It's alright. I'm the first to admit that my method, or philosophy, or however you want to name how it is that I look at things, is innately flawed. A contextual approach needs a lot of evidence in order to bridge the gaps between sheer output and intent and understanding and execution and situational variance and whatever else. We never have enough to hit "truth." We never will. The best we can ever get is as educated a perception as possible.

So then, exactly because of that, I am eager to jump on any new evidence/data we come across.

Luger's story about laying on the bed for a minute just to ensure the $1000 hotel room wasn't wasted had me laughing.

The story about Arn's banter and the lengths he went to had me on the floor.

It felt like Luger was more one of the boys than we've always been led to believe, because that sort of stuff seems impossible to fake to me.

This pod really gave insight to the dynamic of Luger as a whole I think. He could be ONE of the boys but for whatever reason was never accepted as ONE of them. Really interesting insight and something that I am wondering how Sting escaped from.

The comment that Dusty thought Luger reminded him of Bockwinkel's kayfabe character was the clue I think. I didn't get much of an impression from Flair that he felt like that though. I can't recall Flair talking Luger during the Highspots shoot, can you?

I really need to listen to this today.......Luger is a guy who I think has been hurt by the sheets more than anyone over the years.

One of my thoughts why listening to this was that Luger obviously hadn't heard the Exile on Badstreet episodes dealing with 88 Crockett (which is a joke, but there was some dissonance there, I thought).

I really need to listen to this today.......Luger is a guy who I think has been hurt by the sheets more than anyone over the years.

At the end, Conrad and Ric both have a bit about the "media" creating an image of someone.

Well the thing about Luger was it wasn't just the media.....the boys have buried him a lot of the years

Nice to here my two boys relaxing and chatting shit. I don't enjoy Flair in this environment as much as I should but he sounds happy and has a real pleasant voice. Did make me laugh how relatively well he's holding up after all these years. Keith Richards of wrestling.

I somehow had no idea about the Steamboat injury situation from a few years back. Holy moley.

I somehow had no idea about the Steamboat injury situation from a few years back. Holy moley.

Same here and especially how serious it was (similarly I had no idea how 'fragile' he is these days either). Trust Vince to take the exact same spot that injured Steamboat a week or so later mind!

Also, first time I'd actually heard someone say Luger's real surname and turns out I've been saying it wrong for about twenty years!

I remember the story around the time of the Steamboat injury was that it was related to Ryback's clothesline, I didn't know it was actually a knee to the head from the 450. I'm surprised they didn't make Justin Gabriel stop doing that move.

This was a great interview. I haven't listened to any other Flair podcasts, I might have to check out the Terry Funk one now.

The comment that Dusty thought Luger reminded him of Bockwinkel's kayfabe character was the clue I think. I didn't get much of an impression from Flair that he felt like that though. I can't recall Flair talking Luger during the Highspots shoot, can you?

You piqued my curiosity, so I had to go back and check out his comments from the HighSpots shoot.

- Flair basically just mentioned that Lex was brought into the Horsemen by Dusty.

- Ric said Arn and Tully didn't like the way Flair would work matches with guys of Lex and Sting's caliber, because he was giving them too much and sacrificing himself to work to their strengths. Flair noted that it was a necessity for him to get hour-long draws out of guys with those kinds of limitations, plus he obviously couldn't just work a "headlock and takedown" kind of match with them. He had to go through the press slams, the power spots, etc.

- Ric said he saw money in Luger as a draw down the road. He also said that Luger never realized his full potential as an in-ring performer (although he felt Sting did), but that Lex did everything "well" and was ALWAYS safe. He stresses the part about being a consistently SAFE worker.

- Flair said Lex got heat for being the "first locker room lawyer." Ric said he came in and right away started to negotiate for better paydays, a bigger contract, etc. Flair cited that Lex is incredibly smart for that. But he came in and started doing that stuff "too soon" in the eyes of the boys. Plus Lex wasn't afraid to talk about it, openly question why they weren't being paid more, etc.

I am listening to the Kevin Sullivan shoot right now, I think Flair has my favorite wrestling podcast I have listened to. Yea he can kind of ramble at times but it usually ends in a funny story.

What a crazy podcast. Flair just really doesn't give a shit anymore. Drinking opened up the floodgates for this particular show, but there's nothing better than hearing Flair just go off on whatever he wants. Conrad being there to keep things on track to an extent is perfect.

I had no expectations for this podcast, but I've listened to every episode in the past couple of weeks and there's not a wrestler-led show I look forward to more. As long as he continues to have wrestlers as guests, I can't see this falling in quality anytime soon.