Pro Wrestling Only

Flair's podcast (WOOOOONation)

What didn't you like?

I'll tell you if it's gotten better.

Horrible reading of ad. Bad sound quality. Rambling to introduce (and over praising) co-host. Trying to correct Meltzer (or not listening to him) on how they met. That's as far as I got.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the Metlzer podcast and have a question. Does it get better, because I was not a fan.

If it's not for you cool, but it does good numbers, been praised a lot on the board and on Joe Gagne's recaps has gotten best of the week I think 2 out of the 4 . Some one can correct me though. Flair is getting more comfortable each week.

I think if you're predisposed not to like Ric, this show won't really turn you round on him. Confirmation bias is a difficult force to overcome, and while this has been good, it's not been so good to change anyone's opinion about Flair.

That's a perfect reason for me to unsubscribe, thanks for the honest insight.

Yeah, I think he's improving too. Could do with a few less wild night out stories, but he's getting better at staying focused and not rambling as much.

Another great episode with Steamboat and I enjoy the wild night out stories (like this week the bar tab story involving the two of them and Piper), though I do find the mentioning of the wives and the divorces a tad tiresome. Plenty of good stuff between the two of them and I especially liked to hear them talk about the late 70s Mid-Atlantic era.

I think some of the criticisms are harsh and too an extent nit picking; Jim Ross is awful when dragging out and reading his sponsors (same for Jericho), it's hardly Terry Garvin Simmes levels of bad audio (and I like this podcast a lot and find those issues part of the charm) and Conrad certainly isn't Alice Radley. JvK summed it up perfectly though and that's pretty much why I don't bother with certain podcasts.

Yeah, I think he's improving too. Could do with a few less wild night out stories, but he's getting better at staying focused and not rambling as much.

Another great episode with Steamboat and I enjoy the wild night out stories (like this week the bar tab story involving the two of them and Piper), though I do find the mentioning of the wives and the divorces a tad tiresome. Plenty of good stuff between the two of them and I especially liked to hear them talk about the late 70s Mid-Atlantic era.

I think some of the criticisms are harsh and too an extent nit picking; Jim Ross is awful when dragging out and reading his sponsors (same for Jericho), it's hardly Terry Garvin Simmes levels of bad audio (and I like this podcast a lot and find those issues part of the charm) and Conrad certainly isn't Alice Radley. JvK summed it up perfectly though and that's pretty much why I don't bother with certain podcasts.

I don't listen to any of those though, so I am equally harsh.

I think Conrad has done a good job in a difficult spot. He's knowledgable, keeps things on track, asks difficult questions and does it all without stepping on Ric's toes. He's the best "second" that has been on any of these wrestler shows.

Even better than Alice, Parv? ^_^

I think Conrad has done a good job in a difficult spot. He's knowledgable, keeps things on track, asks difficult questions and does it all without stepping on Ric's toes. He's the best "second" that has been on any of these wrestler shows.

I'll second that. Flair needs to have a second to make sure some questions get asked and to keep Flair from rambling. I think the co-host's presence has made the podcast a lot more enjoyable for me. Flair can be entertaining, but left to his own devices, he'd talk about nothing but divorces and drinking escapades. This Conrad fellow is doing a decent job of reeling him in. The episodes seem to be improving as they go on, so I'll keep listening for now.

Flair is 100 times better on the podcast that I could have ever imagined.

I also like that unlike in the PodcastOne shows they go straight to the interview. The worst part of pretty much every other wrestling show is the podcast equivalent to the 20 minute Raw opening segment.

Saying that Conrad is the best co-host around doesn't mean much because you are comparing him to MSL and Alice. However the guy does a fantastic job. It's obvious that Flair really likes him so he can easily keep the flow of the show from getting into staleness or rambling and he also knows that people aren't listening the show to get his two cents, so he does not go into long rants. He's as non intrusive as he can be so you can get shows like the one with Okerlund, which wasn't a great interview or ground breaking or anything like that, but it was an enjoyable 1 hour chat in between two long time friends.

Listening to newest podcast where they talk to David Crockett. Here's one I hadn't heard before, he's trying to blame some of JCP's financial problems on debt they inherited from the buyout of Watts. He says that debt was "the beginning of the end". He doesn't deny they were overspending but in a roundabout way acts like they would have been fine if they didn't buy UWF. He also talks about how he feels Watts & Ross "worked" his brother into buying it. Very interesting so far...

It still amazes me how so many people that worked for JCP in the 80s and a lot of fans totally buy into the idea that if they hadn't expanded nationally they would still be in business today. Discounting all the changes to TV in that length of time among many other factors. Even if it was possible for someone to have analyzed the books to see how much was being spent "out of their territory", how these guys can sit around bragging about taking the private plane for 90 min road trips and going out & celebrating sell-outs by renting out restaraunts & bars. That kind of stuff just wasn't going to sustain a successful business no matter the size of the territory.

JCP theoretically could have lost less money along the way and best case they probably would have delayed the Turner sale. But ultimately things probably would have ended up as they did.