Pro Wrestling Only

Best Match - Unranked Wrestler

WingedEagle

Let me hear some all time favorite matches or MOTYCs through the years where you don't think one or any participant will rank on your GWE ballot.

Personally, I could very easily see myself putting together a hundred names that don't include Dibiase or Duggan despite loving their gimmick classic.

Roman Reigns definitely won't be making my list even though I've got him vs. Brock as a top 2 MOTYC at this point.

Will try to come up with some others but interested to see what others have. Maybe we won't find anything like Mo Williams or Corey Brewer dropping 50, but hopefully find a few classics from not quite HOFers here.

2015 Reigns is a good one. I've got the Brock and Bryan matches comfortably in my top 10 for the year at this point but Reigns is won't be close to my list for various reasons.

Guerrero Maya vs. Virus is probably my 2011 MOTY (though Punk/Cena MITB is right there). Virus will be on my list, but Maya won't.

Sting probably won't be on my list (but not going to entirely rule it out) despite loving the GAB '92 match and Superbrawl strap match with Vader. JBL/Eddie from Judgement Day 2004 is a top 20 WWE match of all time for me. JBL isn't even close to making my list. Paul London had a handful of matches between November 2002 and July 2003 in ROH that are all among my favorite ROH matches ever but he won't be on the list. Umaga vs. Cena would fit this criteria as well.

Those are the first that came to mind but I am sure there are more.

Of the top of my head Sting, Magnum, Ulimate Warrior, Reigns..

Totally off topic but this is a comparison that's been rolling round my head. How is Reigns as a gwe pick next to Kerry Von Eric?

Neither guy has a shot at my list but Kerry Von Erich would have to rank higher if I was doing a top 500 or something, Kerry has the big longevity advantage, in the great multi-man matches that they were both in, Roman feels less integral to them than Kerry and outside of the Brock match Roman has never looked great in a singles match.

Totally off topic but this is a comparison that's been rolling round my head. How is Reigns as a gwe pick next to Kerry Von Eric?

Neither guy has a shot at my list but Kerry Von Erich would have to rank higher if I was doing a top 500 or something, Kerry has the big longevity advantage, in the great multi-man matches that they were both in, Roman feels less integral to them than Kerry and outside of the Brock match Roman has never looked great in a singles match.

The Bryan match in February? Big Show at Extreme Rules?

Niether of those matches would be what I'd call great they'd both be a little under four stars for me.

Additionally, Big Show had a last man standing match against Del Rio on a smackdown a couple of years ago that was similar but better and the Bryan match was probably below average for a Daniel Bryan PPV singles match.

I am going to have to kindly disagree with El McKell and say that Kerry is a lock for the top half of my list and if Reigns has the same career as Kerry with another 4 years or so, he would be a lock too. Reigns is having an awesome in-ring year this year and he has quality big time matches with the Shield. He just needs to have more years under his belt.

Billy Catanzarro. vs Cesca is still about the best performance I've seen from a guy who has 1 match on tape. Nothing else has surfaced from him, altough Cesca showed up a couple times more on youtube.

Also, Dave Taylor somehow ended up in the best chain match ever against van Buyten. He was a solid worker who probably should have been a big star with his freaky power spots alone, but in that match he was really great.

Some more of these:

- Masao Orihara vs. Akitoshi Saito

- Sumie Sakai vs. Megumi Yabushita

- Tatsuo Nakano vs. Masakatsu Funaki

- Arandu vs. Guerrero Negro

- Abe Ginsberg vs. Pete Curry

- Red Bastien vs. Verne Gagne

- Axel Dieter vs. Moose Morowski

Fucking footage issues, can't we just have time travel already?

Adrian Street (vs Breaks)

Roddy Piper (various Portland stuff, Bret match, dog collar)

Austin Idol (hair match)

La Galactica (Nagayo matches)

Kerry Von E (Jumbo match)

Doug Summers (Midnight rockers)

Shinobi Kandori (Devil, Bull, Hokuto feud)

Masa Fuchi (various tag classics)

Rick Rude

Owen Hart . . Loads more

I am going to have to kindly disagree with El McKell and say that Kerry is a lock for the top half of my list and if Reigns has the same career as Kerry with another 4 years or so, he would be a lock too. Reigns is having an awesome in-ring year this year and he has quality big time matches with the Shield. He just needs to have more years under his belt.

I've seen hardly any of Kerry's Texas run, it's just something I wanted to put out there. I think they're similar in certain ways.

I really doubt that I could cook up a ballot and be happy with it, but my current MOTD is Hell No/Ryback-Shield and I can't comfortably justify a vote for anyone but Bryan from it. (And #2 is Shield-Wyatt Family, which is even worse.)

No case for Yoshiko Tamura either, and I love the Toshie match like little else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys who won't make my list?

Takada (MOTY contenders in late 80s/1990 with Maeda).

Atlantis (vs. Villano III)

Backlund (vs. tons of awesome people, but in particular the Muraco cage match as neither guy will make it and that's a MOTYC)

Hogan (vs. Backlund, Inoki, Hansen, Savage)

Austin (vs. Bret, WarGames '92)

Ohtani (heel NJ juniors run, in particular his match with young Tajiri)

Owen (vs. Bret)

Dibiase (vs. Murdoch, Duggan, Flair)

HBK (vs. Jarrett, Candido, everyone in '94/95)

Sayama (vs. Babe Face, the Brits, and everyone in the original UWF)

Inoki (vs. Maeda, Fujiwara, tons of other people)

Dump Matsumoto (vs. the Crush Girls)

Angle (vs. Austin)

Samoa Joe (vs. Kobashi)

Munenori Sawa and Super Tiger II (BattlARTS six-man, best match of 2008, probably the best match of that low, dishonest decade)

There are honestly dozens more examples of this. Half the Smarkschoice list fits this description. Tons of main eventers were given huge opportunities to achieve, and sometimes did, but aren't making the tight cut of 100. Footloose vs. Can-Ams from '89 is close. MOTYC in 1989 of all years, and the only guy who'd make my list is Kawada. Malenkos vs. Fantastics from that same year is phenomenal, and none of those four make my list.

• 2 weeks later...

"JBL/Eddie from Judgement Day 2004 is a top 20 WWE match of all time for me. JBL isn't even close to making my list." -stompersspc
I am glad you said this. I think that match is absolutely tops and I don't really see it getting the praise it deserves often. I think Eddie bleeding buckets and doing his little shimmy near the end of the match is one of the most memorable visuals in wrestling history. It is one of those moments when I went beyond marking out to just staring at my TV in awe.
Note: something went wrong with my quote so I improvised.