Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

Not to change the topic, but:

June 7th through 21st: Festival of Champions. We invite any champion from any federation to come and defend their belts in Japan. (Their guys will either go over our undercard guys cleanly, or lose by DQ or CO to upper-card guys, or if anyone is willing: Lose the belt(s) early in the tour, but get the belt back at the big show in Yokohama on the 21st). We want as many foreign/outside champs as possible for the big show on the 21st.

Special Guest Participant: Andre the Giant

Confirmed for June 21st: Abdullah the Butcher and Mil Mascaras

This month has been crazy busy for me (Had visitors from Canada, so it was a very good kind of busy) but I never got around to sending out PMs asking for participation for the Festival of Champions.

Any and every champ from any and every fed is welcome to join in.

Please PM me and suggest which champ(s) you'd like to send, what date(s) are good for you, and whether you'd prefer they go over our undercard guys cleanly, lose or draw by DQ or CO vs upper-card guys, or lose the belt(s) early in the tour, but get the belt(s) back at the big show in Yokohama on the 21st (or some other show if the 21st is no good for you).

The plan is for the three bigger shows to be on June 7th, 14th, and 21st, but I can move that around (or even add an extra show) if need be.

You can also request or suggest specific opponents you'd like to see them matched up with.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what it is, so honesty don't worry I'll pass up on it, I greatly appreciate the offer. It's clearly not something that cant be look passed because I left and didn't contact.

And this is no way me seeking attention or trying to cause a stir, I thought I was in a better position to make a suggestion, clearly not.

(This isn't a hidden agenda question LowBlow) but would love to know whether you guys think I've raised the stock of Gama Singh and Ron Starr?

Ive put a lot of time and effort into some relatively unknowns and wonder what you guys thought?

I would say most definitely. A lot of times guys (who are lesser known) are left on the free agent list cause writers aren't familiar with them or their work but then after seeing how others use them it sparks ideas on how they would use them should they become available. I think you have done a tremendous job establishing both these guys.

I agree with both Rain and Gene. I think it is very accurate historically in terms of smaller promotions. They took what they had and made the most of it and the fans in places like SMW really got it to them. That is not to say that they could come into a more national promotion and move to the top of the card. I think it all depended back them on the amount of people to see them on TV and if they got any coverage in the magazines.

Look at Lanny Poffo.... a huge star in ICW to a lower to mid card guy elsewhere but without ICW he would have been a never was. Ron Starr had some star power in the south already and you raised him to a mid carder. Gamma would be great anywhere now but I think in 3-6 month stints where he comes in as a huge heel and puts over a baby face.

Just letting everyone know that I will be moving this weekend and not sure when I will be up and running again. I am also away the last week of June and first week if July. I will do my best to keep up but if I miss a week or two, it is because of my schedule. I am in for the long haul and really enjoy this hobby

Gama Singh was the top heel in Calgary for many years and Ron Starr won championships in all kinds of territories. Both were really good, underrated workers. Both are guys I considered bringing over to Japan for a nice heel run. I love seeing them do well in your territory.

Sadly, word is that Ron Starr has just passed away.

Just letting everyone know that I will be moving this weekend and not sure when I will be up and running again. I am also away the last week of June and first week if July. I will do my best to keep up but if I miss a week or two, it is because of my schedule. I am in for the long haul and really enjoy this hobby

Take your time, we'll be here waiting when you get back.

Yeah, no worries, Kevin. Take your time

gordi, I saw this popping up on Twitter a few hours ago about Ron Starr. Didn't know much about him but this project allows me to discover some new guys so I'll do my homework haha

But to answer Boon's question, I think you're doing a pretty good job with those two. They've become a pivotal part of your shows and every territory needs a handful of those to make them successful. So to me, yeah, you've raised their stock.

I believe that as of June 17th both Ken Patera and Mr. Saito are off to prison. Do I Patrick an I need to release them or can we keep them and just not use them. I believe Saito comes back in December of 86 and Patera is May of 87. Obviously, I understand that they can not be used.

I believe that as of June 17th both Ken Patera and Mr. Saito are off to prison. Do I Patrick an I need to release them or can we keep them and just not use them. I believe Saito comes back in December of 86 and Patera is May of 87. Obviously, I understand that they can not be used.

Isn't it at least possible to ague that their circumstances might be different in our world? Part of why they were out of commission for so long is that The judge and district attorney in Waukesha, WI were up for re-election and used the incident to further their careers at the expense of Patera and Saito's freedom.

You can read more about it here: http://www.armpit-wrestling.com/ken-patera-masa-saito-vs-waukesha-police-department/

I am going to think this one over long and hard this weekend as I don't have a clear answer. I would love to say that circumstances could be different in this situation but then I would also want to make that case for Gino Hernandez who has an untimely death in February of 86. I would love to hear what others think about this situation please chime in so that we can come up with the best possible plan as if we make it to 1987 Roddy Piper has the same thing so we have to look at any kind of hiatuses prison or what have you in these situations

Yeah that's a tricky subject, on one hand there's a real case to be made for the argument if they aren't in the same real life scenario it wouldn't have the same result. Especially in this case with Patera/Saito and even Gino. If we are completely changing the course of their careers wouldn't it change their personal life as well (i.e. the Butterfly Effect) Even Piper, would he still end up leaving for Hollywood if the territories are still thriving? I've always been torn about that. I get the reason for going with real life deaths from car wrecks and health issues but would guys like Gino and Dino Bravo have met the same fate if their careers took a significantly diffent path?

Tough call.

That's indeed something to ponder about since many of us will have to deal with this situation (in my case, Mad Dog Lefebvre's death in a car crash in December 1985) and the argument could be made about that Patera & Saito's situations are different because they'll inevitably return in the game while deaths like Gino Hernandez for LowBlow and Mad Dog Lefebvre for me are...well, pretty much final.

But, yeah, it's absolutely worth it to debate about it and see where do we go case by case.

I'm pleased that everyone seems to be giving it real consideration. It's the kind of thing I can't help but think about with this kind of project.

I could accept the argument that a wrestler was maybe "fated" to pass on or get hurt or go to jail at a given time... but my personal philosophy is more that each choice we make can impact our future in unforseeable ways.

Of course, I'm perfectly happy to roll with whatever is decided. It is interesting to think about, either way.

I believe that each person's fate could be different in the game as circumstances would be different but then doesn't that just give us the ability to change the circumstances when it is time. Hindsight is twenty-twenty but seems a little unfair.

Since we know where Saito and Patera were when they got in trouble, just move them someplace else and we act like all is good. Keep Gino and Mad Dog away from where their deaths occurred and thy would be here. All probably true but it would just be us moving people to protect them.

We have already dealt with this with David VonErich who was in the Florida promotion in the game but we still used his death in Japan as real. I think this is the fairest thing to do in situations like death and prison. It is best to try and keep an historical aspect to this game when we have the opportunity. We are asked to not rush rookies. We are asked to not keep people past their retirement dates. We have fought over venues because sometimes they were outside of the historical territories area. I think we need to keep historically active wrestlers active and non-active, out of the game for the necessary time.

Yeah, the argument with Gino I know is the cocaine use... would have Vince let that happen in the WWF, especially with the schedule they had. You don't hear of too many others in WWF history dying like that in the 80s.

I think what Kevin said is where I am at... when the game was established, it was said that we would keep the dates of wrestlers the same with deaths, retirements, prison, and all other things of that nature and I personally think that is best. I would LOVE to be able to use Gino past his death but in the contest of what we've got, I just don't know if it is the right direction.

I understand the alternate reality vibe we have and I love it, but I am of the opinion that keeping these little things close to realism is a good move as they are so few and far between.

Are there other instances of elongated absence?

Patera and Saito in prison

Piper goes to make movie

Any others?