Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think there are probably more people than ever willing to pay for footage. The difference is most of the people buying now are buying from streaming services, most of which charge about as much for an entire libraries worth of footage as BTJr charges for two or three matches. I understand that he is providing a service that only he can provide, so I don't really mind him charging a premium. That said it's a barrier to entry for a variety of people, and not necessarily because of the idea of spending money on footage.

I actually think there are probably more people than ever willing to pay for footage. The difference is most of the people buying now are buying from streaming services, most of which charge about as much for an entire libraries worth of footage as BTJr charges for two or three matches. I understand that he is providing a service that only he can provide, so I don't really mind him charging a premium. That said it's a barrier to entry for a variety of people, and not necessarily because of the idea of spending money on footage.

There are more matches on youtube and dailymotion (GREAT and good matches even) than I could ever get to in the time I have. I have bought a few matches from BT, Jr. in the last six months, but it was mainly for a project or because I really, really wanted to see something specific. It was still very hard to rationalize them at the relatively reasonable prices they're listed at, just because I know I have other things I can watch that are just as good, just in different ways.

That's fair.

My point is more or less that I personally know well over a hundred people through here, Twitter and elsewhere who subscribe to at least one streaming service a month. I could probably name fifty people off the top of my head who subscribe to at least two streaming services or regularly purchase ippv's on top of a single streaming service.

There are a lot of people who can, do, and will pay for wrestling but what they genuinely want is immediate access to a large volume of content for what would be historically be considered a very low price. Or they want it free.

I spend money on wrestling, but mostly streaming. I have Progress and WWE. Have tried CZW, SMASH, NWA and Stardom. About 10 dollars a month for the companies history makes way more sense than 10 dollar for a single show.

Although I have ordered a bunch of EVOLVE shows this year to watch live. For some reason I justify spending more for something live.

I actually like Shemus, but on what planet is he the 224th best wrestler ever? Have NASA built a telescope that can see that far? At least he wasn't overlooked.

Thank God Chono dropped.

hqdefault.jpg

It's the only wrestling planet I could think of.

Sheamus’ relatively high placement and large number of votes finally has me convinced of what others have been saying and that is that Triple H is going to finish in the top 100. If not, then really close to it. I think he gets 30+ votes rather easily.

I did not vote for DDP because his peak was just too short. He had a strong peak, though. He was arguably the best pushed wrestler in WCW from 1997 – 2001 and one of the better wrestlers in that promotion during that time as well. During that time, Savage, Hogan, Sting, and Goldberg all might have had their best singles matches with DDP. DDP was also great at adding little wrinkles into matches that aided them in significant ways. He seems a little high in this spot and I am surprised he was on 25 ballots, but DDP is a personal favorite so I am glad he got some love.

I think it's weird to rank people on your own list when you don't actually like their work, but because you want to acknowledge that they did well for other people. The concept of approaching objectivity when ranking wrestlers turns me off like discussion about who was a draw in regards to a WON Hall of Fame ballot. Brian Kendrick getting a #9 vote because someone loves the fuck out of some Kendrick is way more exciting and joyful to me, than someone ranking Triple H because he did well in da biz despite not really floating their boat.

In my case I don't actively hate HHH the way most guys around here do. I hated him from 02-05 because of the way he was booked (and we can debate all night how much of that was his doing), and yes, his match quality really sucked in that period. But I loved his 1999-2001 run, particuarly the idea of the mega-asshole heel who could back it up. That was just such a foreign thing for the WWF that I got very into it, even if I wasn't ever what I would consider a HHH fanboy. In the end I ended up overrating him because of where my head happened to be at when I put that final ballot together (lots of things I would change already), but it's not like I voted for a guy I don't like. He's just a really hard guy to get my head around in terms of my own opinion of him because it's nearly impossible to find anybody around here who doesn't openly shit on him and that doesn't align with what I think of him, so there's a huge problem in trying to not be influenced by the masses screaming "FUCK HHH" while also not over-compensating to counteract them, as if I was on some personal mission to secure his spot on the final 100 (I'm not).

In the end I think that's where this project failed me and I failed it, as I tried too hard to serve too many masters. Some guys I ranked based more on my fondness for them. Some guys I ranked based more on reputation (and my ability to see in a limited look at them that they earned it). Some guys I ranked because of their high level of great match output. Some guys I ranked because they did great character work. Some guys I ranked for being consistently good, so guys for having such intense peaks. I never really settled on a singular approach and my ballot would change frequently depending on where I was at the time. The final result was a jumbled mess that, I think, for the most part represents a solid cross-section of greatness, but which to my own mind doesn't hold up well to any serious scrutiny. If I had to do a podcast defending my list like so many others have done, it would be a terrible listen, because my justification for a lot of it would be lacking.

In the end I think that's where this project failed me and I failed it, as I tried too hard to serve too many masters. Some guys I ranked based more on my fondness for them. Some guys I ranked based more on reputation (and my ability to see in a limited look at them that they earned it). Some guys I ranked because of their high level of great match output. Some guys I ranked because they did great character work. Some guys I ranked for being consistently good, so guys for having such intense peaks. I never really settled on a singular approach and my ballot would change frequently depending on where I was at the time. The final result was a jumbled mess that, I think, for the most part represents a solid cross-section of greatness, but which to my own mind doesn't hold up well to any serious scrutiny. If I had to do a podcast defending my list like so many others have done, it would be a terrible listen, because my justification for a lot of it would be lacking.

Mate that's exactly how I feel and I AM doing a podcast!