Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even before that, Scott was the guy with the super cool moves. He blew people away at the time. I don't know that he's *that* much better than Rick, but I do think he was more likely to make an impact on the viewer. In that sense, a huge gap feels appropriate.

I'm getting increasingly concerned at the lack of Scott Steiner's appearance. Rick was the first guy I lost. Does this mean that there are *several* people out there who have voted Scott way higher based on the Big Poppa Pump years? Surely not!

I think people always viewed Scott as the worker in the team, Poppa Pump or no.

edit: beaten to the punch

With all the stuff coming out on NWA classics and the Texas set, etc I sort of expected Gino Hernandez to do better...

Even though PWO is kind of the "home" of NWAClassics discussion the percentage of people on the board who are watching it doesn't really seem THAT high.

Add in all the people who aren't PWO regulars who sent in ballots from hearing about it on twitter & podcasts, with a lot more focus apparently paid to modern wrestling, Gino's placement doesn't really surprise me.

I think Gino & Lothario's placements are really quite good since most of it is being based on recent finds.

It also helps that Scott continued to do sporadic work that was liked by some pretty much all the way through the 00s, whereas Rick bottomed out pretty badly after the early 90s.

Yea Scott Steiner is one of the few people whose case is helped by TNA work and he also had a really cool run in Ring Ka King as recent as 2012.

It also helps that Scott continued to do sporadic work that was liked by some pretty much all the way through the 00s, whereas Rick bottomed out pretty badly after the early 90s.

Yea Scott Steiner is one of the few people whose case is helped by TNA work and he also had a really cool run in Ring Ka King as recent as 2012.

One of the coolest things from his Ring Ka King run was when he went into the crowd and everyone ran away from him as if he were Godzilla getting ready to destroy Tokyo.

Well that's three of mine down - YAMATO, Survival Tobita and Adrian Street.

I have to say I'm delighted that Tobita made it to SEVEN ballots. Its enough to restore my faith in humanity.

Io Shirai seemed to be high up considering modern joshi is one of the less discussed styles round these parts. Maybe the increased profile of Stardom in the last few years saw to that, who knows.

yall are forgetting a big factor with Scott Steiner: Botchamania!

seriously, when i think of those videos, the first two names that come to mind are Sabu & Scott Steiner. and that stuff is quite well-known even among non-wrestling fans, so i'd expect it to make a big impression on modern fans.

So as of tonight, I have had four high votes: Les Kellet, Tarzan Goto, Solar and Porky.

I'm not surprised about Porky, although I think Porky is way more fun and good in his later years than some people give him credit for. Like, last night on Puebla he couldn't put on his jacket but was still pretty good.

Solar I think I knew I was overrating in some respect, although I think I went in to the project with the idea that I would weigh peak and exceptional performance over longevity (except in rare circumstance). I think Solar had one of the best matches of the 90s, so he ends up higher than others.

Goto I was shocked I was the high voter on.

I think I'm really going to like the list that has Gorgeous George at number 5

You are clearly a person of surpassing taste and quality. I will wear my new avatar with pride. George gets big points from me for basically inventing the act that gave us Flair, and to a lesser extent Bockwinkel, and hence all of their imitators. Every time I see a George match I see a spot I wish someone would steal today. Plus I once saw him hit the mother of all piledrivers on some match on ESPN Classic back in the 90s I haven't been able to find since. Amazing worker who would have gotten over any place, any time.

I think I'm really going to like the list that has Gorgeous George at number 5

You are clearly a person of surpassing taste and quality. I will wear my new avatar with pride. George gets big points from me for basically inventing the act that gave us Flair, and to a lesser extent Bockwinkel, and hence all of their imitators. Every time I see a George match I see a spot I wish someone would steal today. Plus I once saw him hit the mother of all piledrivers on some match on ESPN Classic back in the 90s I haven't been able to find since. Amazing worker who would have gotten over any place, any time.

That's a pretty compelling argument in a tiny paragraph, actually. Not the sort of direction I'd go, but you pass the gauntlet.

Judging by Gorgeous George's ripple effect through history and by all accounts its hard to totally argue with. If we had footage of all the old icons I know that they would be represented further especially by the folks around here. I couldnt do it because of the footage issue but I dont have a problem with people who did.

There is definitely some old footage from L.A. TV (think 50s-60s) that is floating around that isn't all clipped up but I don't know how much of it exists. I have a 2 DVD comp of Freddie Blassie that is taken from that stuff.