Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

Eadie drops another off my list. I'm sad I'm not the high voter though, damn you Matt D! I wanted an awesome Ax avatar.

Me being high on Eadie is the world's worst surprise.

I guess I only had him at 83. I thought I had him higher...

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to talk about **1/2 house show matches Matt.

We'll have to allocate time away from talking about Dibiase to do so since I know he's not on your list.

EDIT: We'll have to stop playfully poking the person going to the trouble to edit our podcast at some point, granted. I mean, we won't, because our collective hubris is massive (which explains the tail end of last week), but still.

It's all about your word choices and sentence structure during the time we spend on him. You can still show off your vocabulary in a short perfunctory speech.

EDIT: The ability we all have to remain civil is heartening. Yesterday I was literally bitching at Parv in public while basically saying "please take this hot mess and turn it into a podcast" in private simultaneously.

In the end I think that's where this project failed me and I failed it, as I tried too hard to serve too many masters. Some guys I ranked based more on my fondness for them. Some guys I ranked based more on reputation (and my ability to see in a limited look at them that they earned it). Some guys I ranked because of their high level of great match output. Some guys I ranked because they did great character work. Some guys I ranked for being consistently good, so guys for having such intense peaks. I never really settled on a singular approach and my ballot would change frequently depending on where I was at the time. The final result was a jumbled mess that, I think, for the most part represents a solid cross-section of greatness, but which to my own mind doesn't hold up well to any serious scrutiny. If I had to do a podcast defending my list like so many others have done, it would be a terrible listen, because my justification for a lot of it would be lacking.

Mate that's exactly how I feel and I AM doing a podcast!

Yeah, but the accent automatically makes yours a pleasant listen, so you've got that going for you.

Nice to see Patera do fairly good. One of the very first VHS tapes as a child I dubbed from the video store onto a blank tape was The Ken Patera Story. Haven't seen it in well over 20 years but remember for a kid thinking it was kind of dark and couldn't understand why they were spending so much time recreating a crime scene outside of a McDonald's a la Unsolved Mysteries. I kept thinking, "Get back to the Heenan Family!"

086635004330.jpg

Does anyone still have their top 100 still in tack? I have only had three drop if my calculations are correct.

Patera was my third soldier to fall. I'm a little surprised he finished below some of the other guys I have on my list.

Who besides Patera and Lothario, im adding columns to our list with actual results.

In the end I think that's where this project failed me and I failed it, as I tried too hard to serve too many masters. Some guys I ranked based more on my fondness for them. Some guys I ranked based more on reputation (and my ability to see in a limited look at them that they earned it). Some guys I ranked because of their high level of great match output. Some guys I ranked because they did great character work. Some guys I ranked for being consistently good, so guys for having such intense peaks. I never really settled on a singular approach and my ballot would change frequently depending on where I was at the time. The final result was a jumbled mess that, I think, for the most part represents a solid cross-section of greatness, but which to my own mind doesn't hold up well to any serious scrutiny. If I had to do a podcast defending my list like so many others have done, it would be a terrible listen, because my justification for a lot of it would be lacking.

I only just found out about this project a week before ballots were due, and I found myself quickly falling into this same kind of trap. I realized I didn't have a great barometer for how to formulate such a list. I started fighting with nostalgia with "hard evidence" and fighting that with gut feelings. And the whole time everything was getting mucked up when I'd read Matt or Dylan's opinion about something. In the end I had to go with whatever I thought sounded good at the time, and my major reaction to this countdown is that even that tactic was a failure.

Basically what I've learned from this project is that making lists is a dumb and fruitless hardship- one that instills nothing but shame and heartache over what used to be feelings joy and wonderment.

Does anyone still have their top 100 still in tack? I have only had three drop if my calculations are correct.

Patera was my third soldier to fall. I'm a little surprised he finished below some of the other guys I have on my list.

Kojima was my first guy down, and DDP is my only other vote who has dropped. I was very close to putting Koko B. Ware on my ballot, but ultimately did not.

Chono is about 300 spots too high unless the criteria used is hevily skewed towards how cool someone's outfit, entrance and theme music were. At least he didn't make the list this time. I hope the same fate awaits Mutoh.

Will be interesting to see how many 2000s WWE guys crack the top 100. I am sure Matt will be thrilled when Edge finishes above Christian.

I'll just mention that Patera's early 80s WWF run is about as good as any heel who passed through and took on Backlund. The Texas Death match is a contender for best MSG match of all time. He's one of the better IC champions of all-time also. His AWA run as part of the Heenan family and tagging with The Sheiks adds to his case too. And he's at least good to very good when he crops up in the other territories before the jail-time, especially Mid-Atlantic.

Not a AMAZING worker, but really a very good one for a good 7-8 year time span stretching across the late 70s and early 80s.

Didn't vote for Patera. Not enough meat to comfortably justify the case to me.

DDP and Sheamus being so close feels absolutely right for a multitude of reasons.

Surprised you didn't vote for Patera. After hearing your case for him for the WON HOF I revisited his work and ended up having him on my list. I know we're talking two different things, just surprised he didn't make it for you.