Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

I'm kind of dumbfounded by somebody putting Karl Gotch in their top 20. They had to just be voting on legacy. I've loved the Karl Gotch matches I've seen, but how many are there, 2 or 3? I just don't think there is enough footage out there to fairly rank him.

This person also left Ric Flair off his ballot entirely. It is what it is.

I had Gotch #100 though the #20 ballot doesn't have Flair either.

Who is that then?

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of dumbfounded by somebody putting Karl Gotch in their top 20. They had to just be voting on legacy. I've loved the Karl Gotch matches I've seen, but how many are there, 2 or 3? I just don't think there is enough footage out there to fairly rank him.

This person also left Ric Flair off his ballot entirely. It is what it is.

I had Gotch #100 though the #20 ballot doesn't have Flair either.
Who is that then?
purowookie (see twitter)

I actually thought Gotch was one of the better picks in that glut of votes. You'd think the workers would be getting better as we approach the top 200 but that was some rut.

The irony in Solar dropping so far from 2006 is that the amount of Solar footage that's surfaced in the last ten years dwarfs what little we had of him in '06. So much for the credo that footage changes everything.

Updated personal list

57. Roderick Strong- 236

65. Homicide- 269

68. Luke Harper- 300

69. El Mesias- 293

70. Paul London- 298

72. Kana- 244

84. Jamie Noble- 290

92. Jimmy Rave- 338

93. Jimmy Jacobs- 353

95. John Morrison- 419

96. Batista- 241

98. Eddie Kingston- 311

100. YAMATO- 331

So up to 13. Can you tell I loved the Early to Mid 2000's Indys, and find late 2000's WWE kinda undevalued?

Main note I have is that I think Roderick, more then anything, was screwed over by trying to adjust to the "modern" style the indys took when Davey Richards style took control. He was so much better in his role with GN were he could wrestle either as an Arn Anderson style bodyguard for Aries (in which time he might have actually outshined Aries), and then after his babyface as a kinda basic whitemeat who had decent if not great charisma in ring but really really good how to build matches. And I'll be that one weird guy that always says Strong/Gibson stole the weekend from Joe/Kobashi, to me. One of my favorite matches ever there.

I actually thought Gotch was one of the better picks in that glut of votes. You'd think the workers would be getting better as we approach the top 200 but that was some rut.

The irony in Solar dropping so far from 2006 is that the amount of Solar footage that's surfaced in the last ten years dwarfs what little we had of him in '06. So much for the credo that footage changes everything.

That run was sad to post. Only a couple of folks left that I feel I can not personally see a case for.

Snuka. Our first murderer of the night.

Wait, what's the name of that lucha guy OJ hates that threw a hooker of the balcony that had a great chain match vs. La Fiera? Wasn't he listed already?

There is a hooker that had a great chain match with La Fiera?

Bumping because it's hilarious and was totally no sold. Bravo sir.

Dick Slater is one of the best wrestlers to show up on the list so far. Had a lot of different skills, good amatuer credentials, face, heel, good on offense, good at selling and bumping, good ground game, could throw a suplex, Florida, Japan, around the territories, could have been NWA champ, reputedly an all-time great tagteam with Bob Orton Jr, all before his Terry-Funk-knock-off years in which he was still serviceable.

I wanted to voted for him but lack of prime years footage and BIGLAV said no.

It strikes me that more obscure candidates like Cortez are going to be doubly hurt by the fact that those who bothered to explore them are more likely to have put more thought into their rankings. No "16th best wrestler of all time, Booker T" placements for those guys.

Might as well run down the wrestlers from my Top 100 list that have already been revealed:

66. Stan Lane (260)

82. Matt Borne (263)

94. Jimmy Golden (401)

95. Meng/Haku (271)

97. Yokozuna (294)

98. New Jack (355)

99. Chicky Starr (553)

NIce little variety. I'm a little surprised Stan finished as low as he did: I'm shocked but pleasantly surprised New Jack did as well as he did. I'm sad Sami Callihan finished as high as he did because he does nothing for me at all, but different strokes for different folks.

It strikes me that more obscure candidates like Cortez are going to be doubly hurt by the fact that those who bothered to explore them are more likely to have put more thought into their rankings. No "16th best wrestler of all time, Booker T" placements for those guys.

That's an interesting point and I hadn't thought about it exactly that way, but you're probably right.

Just lost 3 of my guys:

Abby did pretty well considering he is pretty much the "anti-workrate" candidate.

Gino was definitely helped out by the NWAClassics footage. If anyone deserved to be called "a natural" in pro wrestling it's Gino who was an incredible heat magnet and seemed to have it all figured out VERY early in his career. It's a shame he didn't maintain that level later on outside of Houston but we all know why.

Super Porky's quote is accurate. I could watch him all day, especially in his late 80s-early 90s prime.