Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 3

Grimmas

Did taker get a #1 vote? It wouldn't be nearly as fulfilling/shocking as this, but it would still surprise me a little.

If someone is really into "Big Match WWE" style matches, it wouldn't surprise me at all. He's also another guy, maybe more than anyone, that benefits from my above point about "aura". Just to play devil's advocate, I think he's actually a relatively easy guy to make a case for, from a certain perspective.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did taker get a #1 vote? It wouldn't be nearly as fulfilling/shocking as this, but it would still surprise me a little.

If someone is really into "Big Match WWE" style matches, it wouldn't surprise me at all. He's also another guy, maybe more than anyone, that benefits from my above point about "aura". Just to play devil's advocate, I think he's actually a relatively easy guy to make a case for, from a certain perspective.

Is that the perspective of "I have only ever watched WWE"?

I had him at #86.

I do think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about the value of "aura" some guys have like Scott Steiner, Brock Lesnar, in a different way a guy like Abdullah the Butcher.

And yes, even that vile Bruiser Brody.

I'd agree with that. We can argue over who has how much of it, but it's definitely something to consider.

I'm glad Tiger Mask finished where he did. Same with Adonis. Almost perfect spots for very flawed guys who were really good and/or significant in their own ways.

Hayes finishing above Tiger Mask feels like a massive victory for the influence of the footage boom and those who have taken advantage of it.

Rudge becomes the 2nd guy from my top half to fall, though it's hard to be angry about him because I didn't expect he'd do that well. It almost seems miraculous that he's as high as he is.

Fiera and Yatsu were on my ballot but in the bottom 20. I have no real problem with where they wound up as footage issues and legit issues with Yatsu's post peak among other things limited my ability to go high on either.

I actually may defend the Steiner at number 1 vote later when I get home. I mean it's not something I'd do it and it is a legit "what the hell?" but I do think Scott had a very interesting career that is easy to sell short.

I had him at #86.

I do think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about the value of "aura" some guys have like Scott Steiner, Brock Lesnar, in a different way a guy like Abdullah the Butcher.

And yes, even that vile Bruiser Brody.

I'd agree with that. We can argue over who has how much of it, but it's definitely something to consider.

Also agree. It's also build by the opponent helping to sell that aura (wwf kids found Zeus and Nailz scary, so a lot is in the package as well). But s few guys have the aura on their own. Not so much Scott to me, but some of the others, sure. I think Killer Kowalski ruled at this in his day.

1. Unless I missed them, Fiera finished beneath Perro Sr. and Rayo Jr. He deserved better.

Excuse me Perro Aguayo is a great wrestler and more great than La Fiera in my opinion what's with the hate.

Following is a list of things that Perro Aguayo Sr. did better than La Fiera:

...bleed?

Older Perro especially is so cheesy to me. For lucha heavyweights I'd probably rank Aguayo behind Chicana, Dos Caras, Cien Caras, and even Rayo Jr.

Hayes and Fiera were mine. Hayes is one of the kings of wild and out of control sub-ten minute bar fights, and Fiera's run during the Dandy feud in 1992 was a gigantic load of sleazeball rudo fun that turned him from a "possible" guy into a "definite lock" guy. Hayes actually did better than I expected him to. I guess Fiera did as well.

With all this he is still 15 spots lower than in 2006.

Outstanding.

EDIT: and Saito is another of mine to bite the dust.

I could see Michaels, Bret, Hogan, Savage, Taker, Austin, Rock, Angle, HHH and Cena getting #1 votes. Was interesting to see that Rock ranked in the Smarkschoice list. Wonder if his poor comeback will have any effect on his placement this time around.

Hayes finishing above Tiger Mask feels like a massive victory for the influence of the footage boom and those who have taken advantage of it.

Hayes is a guy the old story on him was "worst worker in the Freebirds by far, not really very good except as a talker", but most of what I have seen has suggested he was actually a really great foil for the more "serious" Gordy. He was a cocky rat bastard with big tough friends, and he knew it. Was really good in that role. The more I have seen of Hayes the more I think he's probably a guy that got about the most he could out of the skills he had, really. I can't knock a guy for that. He's definitely a guy that I agree the footage explosion helps a lot.