Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 3

Grimmas

If Okada and Triple H finish above Inoki I will write angry posts about it on the interwebs.

Why? All three of those stink.
First off, I completely disagree with Inoki sucking. Maybe he had off nights but I didn't watch every single match from New Japan that made tape in the 80s like some did for the DVDVR set. Did you? I think he had great matches and I am insanely high on his best stuff. I find his philosophy to be a lot more interesting and exciting than Baba's, he played a major part in establishing the wrestling I love and has continued promoting it almost tk this day. I even love all of his bullshit like holding shows in North Korea and having hundreds of people line up so he can slap them. In hindsight I regret not giving him the spot I gave to Gotch.

Stinks is harsh. He's boring and ruins a lot of good situations. He does have some good highs though. He's actually very very similar to Triple H.
Why is he boring to you? He isn't boring to me. I remember Daniel of p.tv describing IGF as "sometimes awesome, sometimes terrible but never boring". Only problem with comparing that to Inoki's career is that I haven't seen any of the terrible yet. What good situations did he ruin? Tags with him in it always benefit for having his star presence and incredible crowd heat.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone needs to post that pic of Scott Steiner riding a pogo stick gif. That is hilarious.

Guys like Andre and Brody haven't showed up and Orndorff has? That's surprising to me. As far as 80's WWE heels go I only have Savage and Rude higher and Rude is more based off his WCW run. I have Valentine only four spots from Orndorff. I hope he doesn't fall soon.

Someone needs to post that pic of Scott Steiner riding a pogo stick gif. That is hilarious.

Guys like Andre and Brody haven't showed up and Orndorff has? That's surprising to me. As far as 80's WWE heels go I only have Savage and Rude higher and Rude is more based off his WCW run. I have Valentine only four spots from Orndorff. I hope he doesn't fall soon.

Andre will be higher than you think.

How high? Make a prediction!!! Since there will be no more reveals tonight, start your predictions.

If Okada and Triple H finish above Inoki I will write angry posts about it on the interwebs.

Why? All three of those stink.
First off, I completely disagree with Inoki sucking. Maybe he had off nights but I didn't watch every single match from New Japan that made tape in the 80s like some did for the DVDVR set. Did you? I think he had great matches and I am insanely high on his best stuff. I find his philosophy to be a lot more interesting and exciting than Baba's, he played a major part in establishing the wrestling I love and has continued promoting it almost tk this day. I even love all of his bullshit like holding shows in North Korea and having hundreds of people line up so he can slap them. In hindsight I regret not giving him the spot I gave to Gotch.

Stinks is harsh. He's boring and ruins a lot of good situations. He does have some good highs though. He's actually very very similar to Triple H.
Why is he boring to you? He isn't boring to me. I remember Daniel of p.tv describing IGF as "sometimes awesome, sometimes terrible but never boring". Only problem with comparing that to Inoki's career is that I haven't seen any of the terrible yet. What good situations did he ruin? Tags with him in it always benefit for having his star presence and incredible crowd heat.

He doesn't do anything exciting. Those Backlund draws were hard to watch.

The only time I have ever enjoyed him is when Hansen or Andre are beating him up.

You're probably right. At this point not much would surprise me.

I think I know three(?) people that he'll be in the top ten for?

He's shown up in other places on podcasts so far too.

But he probably won't be on many Brody lists or Dragon Gate lists.

Top 25?

25-50?

50-75?

75-100?

100-150?

Where does Andre land?

Andre's Top 75.

This comes from finding out how much people are voting off of reputation and historical importance. I mean if people are voting Brody and Trips high, Andre has to be higher than that.

I'm voting for Andre solely on work and he's 40th for me.

I haven't watched the Backlund draws but I can't take your argument that he doesn't do anything exciting seriously because of just how tangible the excitement is in his big matches. The Gotch match from 1972 is unlike any other wrestling match I have ever seen inthe way crowd expresses its appreciation of it and my gigantic review of the 1988 match here:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/33261-tatsumi-fujinami-vs-antonio-inoki-njpw-881988/&do=findComment&comment=5726651

specifically refers to moments of firing up that aren't any different from what you see in the US wrestling hulk up but they are incorporated into the match more smartly and naturally. There is plenty of valid critique of Inoki I'm sure. But this one I don't buy in the slightest.

Andre's Top 75.

This comes from finding out how much people are voting off of reputation and historical importance. I mean if people are voting Brody and Trips high, Andre has to be higher than that.

I'll lean on disappointing and say 75-100. People are voting on rep but the rep for Andre is that he's big and slow and immobile had the worst match of the year with Warrior in the WON. The rep on Hansen is that he's a wild force of nature with the best cardio ever and they named a brawling award after him.

Andre's Top 75.

I'm voting for Andre solely on work and he's 40th for me.
i have him about the same-ish for same reasons. So i figured he'd finish well outside the 100, but now I'm thinking at least 75 maybe between 50-75. If he goes higher than that I'd be ecstatic.

I think someone said it on a podcast, but there is no one I can think of that I DON'T want to see face Necro Butcher.

Mark Henry vs Necro Butcher - Yes Please

Scott Steiner vs Necro Butcher - Oh my god... YES!

Giant Baba vs Necro Butcher - The gods were cruel for denying us this joy

Verne Gagne vs Necro Butcher - WHY NOT?!

Necro Butcher vs MS-1 - That one isn't even funny it is just amazing sounding.

HHH vs Necro Buthcer - I'd pay for that!

So much fun.

Lets just transport Necro to peak Memphis and Continental. Life isnt fair.

Omg YES!

And to add to that point:

I find a lot of Tanahashi matches boring as shit. But I'd never seriously throw "Tanahashi is boring as shit" as a general statement in a match review or when talking about him as a worker outside of lazy twitter conversations or whatever. There are so many things in Tanahashi's work I can point to (and have) so those that do like him get an idea of where I'm coming from. I don't expect you to care enough about Inoki to critique him that much but when gener statements get thrown at wrestlers I doubt others would defend I feel kind of obligated to write something like this. Even if it is just something like "I don't find his matwork compelling", it tells me more and enrichens the discussion. So uhm there's that.