Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good timing for Samoa Joe to hit today. He made my list around this area. Joe was one of the best wrestlers in 2005, and actually made that the only era of TNA enjoyable to me. I love his matches with Punk, AJ, Kobashi, and all the way up to the Takeover Dallas main event (I really thought his performance saved that match and was truly great). He has a great level of intensity. Nice to see him here.

Wait, has Punk not dropped yet? A top 60 position for him is way too high imo.

I guess it depends on if you did your list based on in-ring work alone, or included the other aspects of being a great wrestler. I thought of his ability to connect with the audience and amazing promo skills. I ranked him higher than this. He does have great matches as well, so I wouldn't say he's "way too high" yet... Just my opinion...

I nominate Steven to be the one to tell Han that his hair is goofy.

Is he on twitter? I'm not going to Russia.

Sadly, no. I sought him out to share Dave's deep dive on his career and he isn't out there.

Although maybe he's reading this right now because days after we posted the videos started getting copyright claims and it's a wasteland of Volk on YouTube now in comparison.

Volk Han has a twitter. Ask Lord Mo to hook you up (that's his twitter handle and he was the other #1 Han voter).

Honest question: Do any of those who voted Han higher or didn't vote for Tamura think Han had a better non-Tamura match than Tamura had with Vader?

I don't think that is even close to Tamura's best non-Han match.

Yeah, almost definitely not even in Tamura's top ten, although Han did surpass the Vader match without Tamura.

Wait, has Punk not dropped yet? A top 60 position for him is way too high imo.

I guess it depends on if you did your list based on in-ring work alone, or included the other aspects of being a great wrestler. I thought of his ability to connect with the audience and amazing promo skills. I ranked him higher than this. He does have great matches as well, so I wouldn't say he's "way too high" yet... Just my opinion...

I feel like this might distract from the broader issue at hand. Let's say Punk gets 100 votes. From the discussion we've had here, I could see 10 of those factoring in his promos, maybe less. That goes back to the anonymity and latecomers, of course, but the wild majority of people voting in this process indicated here that they were voting on ringwork based on footage alone.

I think it's more productive to look at what in ring aspects people might have voted Punk this high on.

I was out yesterday when Tamura dropped but in the last five years of wrestling, he has been the greatest discovery for me. The only person in the ballpark is Satanico. When I first started getting tapes 15 years ago, Volk Han had that rep and was someone that was so hyped. I got the Han comp off Tabe along with the highly pimped Takada UWFi stuff and was left really cold. It was really a style I had not become acclimated too. Even when I started plowing through the 90's, I viewed Tamura as the guy that gave the fun underdog match with Vader in 1994 and was someone I was watching have a shoot fight with Sakuraba after their legit heat years before. Gradually, it became more than that. It started with the 1997 match with Han which is just a great wizardly match of finesse and skill. Then I watched the Kohsaka match from April and was still confused. I have rewatched that match since but still am unsure whether it was a work or not. That has become one of the more enduring attributes with Tamura is that and the other discussion about the 1999 match still make me believe in the uncertainty of the con. Throughout the year, we see him take down and have entertaining skirmishes with the foreign RINGS masters, another great match with Han and he caps it off with a great passing of the torch match with Maeda. Then we get 1998-1999 where I can only see Kobashi as a candidate for a best wrestler in the world and Kobashi was more flawed in that period in certain performances like the 6/99 Misawa match. Tamura was firing on all cylinders and had two ***** matches and three matches in my top 10 for the year in 1998. That was when I knew Tamura was my favorite shoot style worker ever. As I dug dipper into the early part of his career (Thanks Elliot!) and the later U-Style stuff, he really is someone that had a good match almost every time out on tape. Granted that is a really short sample size but it is an amazing feat to be that good in match #1. Akiyama is considered a phenom and that is appropriate, but Tamura was as better right out of the gate. The U-Style stuff showed he could have legit great matches with people that don't have that resume elsewhere. I ranked Tamura #9 and honestly besides Flair, Misawa, and Kobashi, he was the only other candidate I flirted with for #1. His critiques are easy to point out in his longevity (although he does have great matches 15 years apart) and short matches to point to, but man was he an amazing athlete that also had a flair for the dramatic making him a spectacular shoot style worker.

Here's who is left....

AJ Styles
Aja Kong
Akira Hokuto
Akira Taue
Andre The Giant
Arn Anderson
Barry Windham
Bill Dundee
Billy Robinson
Bobby Eaton
Bret Hart