Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

I can't help but feel disappointed by that Tamura placement. He's just flat better than at least 20 guys who will go above him.

Sorry. I haven't been able to get into shoot style this year. I think that is why he is low, but has such a great average. Lots of people are in that state.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baba at 63, he was my 61. Bull at 61, she was my 62. So I have to be pleased with those placements, but it's sad to see them go. ... Tamura fell for me with most shoot. Not my mocca. Wish I'd spent more time on joshi (then I'd have had more than two on my list) instead of shoot. Maybe I'll get the time soon to see more joshi, and maybe one day I'll "get" shoot.

At least Tamura moved up one spot since 2006!

I'm pretty gutted he dropped in the sixties, although at the same time it's not totally surprising. He was my #13, but once I get around to more of the matches in Elliot's Complete & Accurate thread I could see myself wishing I put him top 10. He might not have the same "where the fuck did he pull THAT submission from?" quality as Han, but I don't think anyone ever was as good at bursting into rapid spurts of such impressive grappling as Tamura. Possibly having the best cardio of any wrestler in history didn't hurt, I suppose.

Also voted for Slaughter, though much lower. As a "greatest hits" guy, there aren't many better.

I'm not familiar with her work really, but I just noticed Etsuko Mita was ranked 113 ten years ago and wasn't even nominated this time. Oversight? Stock fallen?

Joshi slaughter. I don't know how much Phil's line about LCO being the female Public Enemy has stuck as far as a change in acclaim, but Takako Inoue (as El-P has bitched over and over) wasn't nominated either and she wasn't part of the team, just part of the same AJW generation.

LCO are the fucking best. Check the '90s yearbook forums for a sampler. I really should have found a way to make a ballot, she'd probably have gotten a Mando-esque vote out of me.

I had Tamura at #4 and he was my highest ranked Japanese-born wrestler. It's still pretty impressive that he ranked as high as he did while only making 55 ballots. The 3 placements before him had 80+. Makes me wonder if Tamura will ultimately be the wrestler with the highest average vote?

No way on the average. The top tier guys will beat that easily.

I had Tamura at #4 and he was my highest ranked Japanese-born wrestler. It's still pretty impressive that he ranked as high as he did while only making 55 ballots. The 3 placements before him had 80+. Makes me wonder if Tamura will ultimately be the wrestler with the highest average vote?

Not even close.

Here are the averages of the top 10 guys:

Although the next person with a lower average is ranked 27th.

I think the reason Han will finish higher is that he will have more top 10/5 votes and at least one #1 vote.

I know it's frustrating that Tamura ranked where he did but we have to look on the bright side as well. Choshu was #100 in 2006. Fujinami was #58. Jim Breaks, Yuki Ishikawa and Fujiwara weren't even ranked. One step forward, one step back...

I think the reason Han will finish higher is that he will have more top 10/5 votes and at least one #1 vote.

I know it's frustrating that Tamura ranked where he did but we have to look on the bright side as well. Choshu was #100 in 2006. Fujinami was #58. Jim Breaks, Yuki Ishikawa and Fujiwara weren't even ranked. One step forward, one step back...

Even a puro-averse voter like myself could not deny Fujinami. He even made my top 10.

I'm busy as hell right now but Han ahead of Tamura? Nah

Agreed, and I'm puzzled by it because almost all of the talk has been in the other direction.

The quick and dirty would be that Han had a longer prime even if Tamura peaked higher.

It'll be interesting to see if Fujiwara ranks above them? I liked both Han and Tamura better than Fujiwara because the style during their prime was more interesting even if all 3 were masters of their style at one point or another. The best of RINGS is better than the high point of UWF or PWFG in my view. But Fujiwara has the pro-style crossover for his NJ work so my guess is he makes more ballots.

I'm busy as hell right now but Han ahead of Tamura? Nah

Agreed, and I'm puzzled by it because almost all of the talk has been in the other direction.

The quick and dirty would be that Han had a longer prime even if Tamura peaked higher.

It'll be interesting to see if Fujiwara ranks above them? I liked both Han and Tamura were better than Fujiwara because the style during their prime was more interesting even if all 3 were masters of their style at one point or another. The best of RINGS is better than the high point of UWF or PWFG in my view. But Fujiwara has the pro-style crossover for his NJ work so my guess is he makes more ballots.

Agree on Fujiwara going higher, because of New Japan, the DVDVR sets, etc.

Don't really agree about Han having a longer peak. He was great first, but Tamura was also damn good from the jump and had clearly passed Han in 1998 and 1999. I don't see a big difference there. I guess it depends how you feel about Tamura in UWFI.