Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks bitch about SO MANY other wrestlers. Yet. Jericho has yet to drop.

I can sort of accept Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho because for almost two decades they have been considered incredible in ring wrestlers by the majority of the internet wrestling community. I don't agree personally, and nor do many people here, but they either speak to people or people have been conditioned to accept them as wonderful workers.

Whereas someone like Hogan has been pretty much accepted as a poor toaverage worker from all sides - even the praise tends to focus on his charisma and character and the way his big matches are structured. So it seems far more strange to see him so high.

Just, you know, two of the most important aspects of being a great pro wrestler.

Nothing big or anything.

Hogan was so charismatic in the ring that he redefined what a wrestling star could be.

This isn't the 'Most Influential Wrestler Ever' list though. Elvis Presley redefined what a rock star could be but his albums don't stand up next to Revolver or Blue or Blood On The Tracks or Dark Side Of The Moon.

Hogan is a better wrestler than Elvis was a musician though.

I can sort of accept Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho because for almost two decades they have been considered incredible in ring wrestlers by the majority of the internet wrestling community. I don't agree personally, and nor do many people here, but they either speak to people or people have been conditioned to accept them as wonderful workers.

Whereas someone like Hogan has been pretty much accepted as a poor toaverage worker from all sides - even the praise tends to focus on his charisma and character and the way his big matches are structured. So it seems far more strange to see him so high.

Just, you know, two of the most important aspects of being a great pro wrestler.

Nothing big or anything.

Possibly, but if you take that train of thought you end up taking drawing power and merchandise sales into consideration. He was mediocre in ring, and for all his charisma there are very few of his feuds, interviews and/or segments that are worth revisiting. His charisma often raised his big matches into something greater than the sum of their parts, true.

Hogan was so charismatic in the ring that he redefined what a wrestling star could be.

I am interested to know if he's the most charismatic wrestling star ever in your eyes?

Second only to Bruno. And it simply comes down to this: Hogan was a super hero, almost a god, who the fans worshipped, whereas Bruno was a working-class hero who the fans could relate to and who they would die for.

Nothing big or anything.

Possibly, but if you take that train of thought you end up taking drawing power and merchandise sales into consideration. He was mediocre in ring, and for all his charisma there are very few of his feuds, interviews and/or segments that are worth revisiting. His charisma often raised his big matches into something greater than the sum of their parts, true.

Wait what? No I'm not. Charisma can be an in ring trait, just like athleticism. You can qualitatively judge both of them. Character work is far more important to me than hitting impressive spots cleanly or working really hard or whatever.

What Hogan could do better than the vast majority of babyface workers ever was generate sympathy in heel heat segments enough that fans could be genuinely invested for a comeback and finish they mostly knew was coming.

Lawler will rightly be praised to the moon for that; but Hogan is right there with him for that specific skill.

This isn't the 'Most Influential Wrestler Ever' list though. Elvis Presley redefined what a rock star could be but his albums don't stand up next to Revolver or Blue or Blood On The Tracks or Dark Side Of The Moon.

Wouldn't you include Elvis on a list of 100 Greatest Rock Stars though?

Hulkamania could only happen in the Reagan era. After the reality of civil rights, Vietnam and the sexual revolution, people just wanted to be told everything was fine and not to worry for a while. Hogan was transparently phony and insincere, but at least said and did all of the right things, which was all that mattered then.

Different strokes about charisma, I guess. I've watched a lot of Hogan footage, and Parv and co. have also made me watch a hell of a lot of Bruno, but to this day, I haven't seen a wrestler connect and get basically claimedd by the audience as their own the way Austin was. Of course, he is my most favourite wrestler ever, so I am obviously biased.

I am interested in where Austin lands. I thought I was going to be the high vote on him, but then Jingus said Austin was in his top 10, so that is not happening.

What was Hogan specifically doing to generate more sympathy than Ricky Morton? Than Steamboat? Because he garnered more sympathy doesn't mean he was better at generating it than other top babyfaces. I think Hogan was good in that respect but the reactions he got out was more than what he put in (in the ring at least),

Different strokes about charisma, I guess. I've watched a lot of Hogan footage, and Parv and co. have also made me watch a hell of a lot of Bruno, but to this day, I haven't seen a wrestler connect and get basically owned by the audience the way Austin was. Of course, he is my most favourite wrestler ever, so I am obviously biased.

I am interested in where Austin lands. I thought I was going to be the high vote on him, but then Jingus said Austin was in his top 10, so that is not happening.

I ranked Austin higher than Hogan...

The GWE YouTube Playlist has been updated again to reflect the new additions.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoeBY9gVL9d13ytshbXVg_EnCzjHVPUOt

81494df.jpg

Love this! Thanks to grimmas and everyone for the whole project and grimmas for the reveal. But also thank to cheapshot for this playlist and to woof for the thread with everyone ranked lower than the top 100!