Pro Wrestling Only

Lesnar to return to UFC

...TG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ambrose/Lesnar was basically a bait and switch. Book it to give the workrate fans something to be interested beyond the Wrestlemania name, but then stop the guys from doing too much do it doesn't upstage Shane/Taker or Roman/HHH. They did a similar thing at Battleground with booking a great sounding Lesnar/Rollins match but then just using it as an angle to hype the Undertaker feud.

I imagine WWE sees this as a shot in the arm to Brock's profile. Just the image of him on a major UFC ppv, the visual of him walking out and (hopefully) the talking point of him winning will - I think they think - give them a little boost to the existing narrative about Brock. If he gets a relatively high profile fighter (especially one that will give him an opportunity to trash talk) this whole thing is win-win for the WWE because the build and his mere presence at the show will mean much more than the result.

Honestly, I think the comparison between the E and UFC in terms of who looks good, legitimacy, and all that is overblown. It doesn't matter if he wins or loses. I suppose if he got embarrassed by someone no one knew and was visibly smaller than him it might not be great, but even still, it wouldn't be much beyond a wash given the publicity. I really don't think anyone is choosing to NOT watch the WWE if Brock lost a UFC fight, but they might choose TO watch because Lesnar is was just on a huge UFC card. Lesnar's wins and loses haven't really mattered in the UFC at any point. He is a huge profile guy, he has a presence... he has big time appeal that fighting needs and the WWE is trying to just put a little shine on.

As mentioned in the other thread surely this means Rousey and Connor will be working with WWE now. Steph/Rousey is most assuredly going to happen. Oh well not a huge UFC fan so this is not something Im really excited for

I think this is reading way too much into it. Dana has enough problems getting Rousey back into the Octagon without risking her being injured doing pro wrestling. Despite the recent pissing contest between Connor and the UFC, I don't see Dana willing to risk him being injured in a wrestling match either. I guess it makes it more likely that they could show up for a non-wrestling appearance but I don't know how much appeal that really has.

I'm not sure how far in advance this was planned since I know in the lead up to WrestleMania there was the deal with Brock leaving Raw and not being on the show due to the way contract negotiations were going. I guess it's possible he had already talked to Dana White before then but this definitely feels more like Dana being desperate to do something big for UFC 200 to replace Connor not being on the show and offering Brock a ton of money to come back for a fight. This feels a lot more like Brock cashing in on a one big payday than a full on return to the UFC though.

On WWE's side this is a bit of a gamble to have Brock fight in July and still count on not being injured so he can wrestle at SummerSlam but I have a feeling that Brock isn't going to be facing the stiffest of competition so I guess they've tried to mitigate the risk. I can see the appeal though because Brock is going to be a hot topic in the media leading up to UFC 200 and I'm sure they'll have it mentioned on the UFC 200 PPV that Brock will be at SummerSlam. They love mainstream coverage and Brock will be getting a lot of that over the next month.

Brock will indeed be facing Mark Hunt.

Of all the fighters on the planet, I don't know if there is a worse match up for Lesnar. Hun't takedown defense has become elite, he has a chin of granite, and he hits like a Mack truck. He's just a devastating puncher, who is the king of walkoff knockouts. When he connects, he just walks off because he knows his opponent is not getting up. With that said, this is going to be a really fun fight to watch.

Man that's a really dangerous fight for Brock. I'd be pretty surprised(and impressed) if he won. I wonder if WWE will just ignore the fight all together if he gets KOed in the first few minutes. It'll be interesting to see how or if they promote this fight on WWE tv. I can't imagine Brock getting starched in two minutes in the UFC, and turning around and headlining SummerSlam a month latter.

I have no idea what WWE is thinking. They can say it doesn't matter, wrestling is a work, etc, but if the guy that ended the streak and is a monster that hasnt put anybody over since gets KO'd in 2 minutes, thats devastating to the Lesnar image. NJPW proved how badly this can hurt a guy

This fight makes a ton of sense to me.

As a fight: Its a bad matchup, but it is one a truly healthy Brock COULD thrive in. He was always a bit of an overhyped fighter of course, but he was a physical freak, has increadible speed for his size, and is a tough dude. Hunt has good takedown defense, but its been YEARS since he has been in there with an actual wrestler who will try to take him down from the outside and who is strong enough to pick him up and toss him if he gets a hold of him. Even then, I am not sure if he has ever fought someone with the takedown skills of Brock and if he did he was a much lighter and younger man at the time. Hunt is an experienced fighter, but if he gets on his back against Brock, I am not sure what happens. On the other hand if he keeps it standing he might have to clock Brock a few times. Stylistically, I don't think this is quite as bad a missmatch as it is being made out to be and it presents a lot of unknowns in terms of advantages (which is what you want in a fight).

As far as business, this fight is perfect. Hunt's last three loses come three of the last four HW champs and in his last 7 wins he put down a range of opponents, from contenders to gate keepers to guys who aren't even around anymore. In short, he could use a really high profile win to make him a legit exciting contender, and Brock provides that without potentially eliminating someone as a contender from a relatively thin division. On the other hand, Brock needs a name opponent, not some can, but they also don't want to potentially feed one of their top 5-6 guys to someone who is probably ust their for one fight. Hunt, as good as he is, has never been a huge priority to the UFC and at 42 years old is probably not in their long term plans. Hunt's popularity is based less on wins and loses and more on what he always brings to the cage, so the UFC doesn't really mind if he takes an upset, but if he wins they get more out of Hunt in the next two years than they could have ever hoped otherwise. Plus, if Brock wins he can go back to the WWE and say he beat an absolute legend in the sport with a 17 year fighting career that spans however many countries, a kickboxing champion and a multiple award winner in MMA. If he loses he can say he walked in the cage with that same guy and stood toe to toe with one of the most dangerous heavyweight strikers in the world (if they even want to bring it up). There is no shame at all in getting knocked out by Mark Hunt.

Regardless, this is going to be a really fun fight. It might last 10 seconds, but it will be a fun 10 seconds

As a fight: Its a bad matchup, but it is one a truly healthy Brock COULD thrive in. He was always a bit of an overhyped fighter of course, but he was a physical freak, has increadible speed for his size, and is a tough dude. Hunt has good takedown defense, but its been YEARS since he has been in there with an actual wrestler who will try to take him down from the outside and who is strong enough to pick him up and toss him if he gets a hold of him. Even then, I am not sure if he has ever fought someone with the takedown skills of Brock and if he did he was a much lighter and younger man at the time. Hunt is an experienced fighter, but if he gets on his back against Brock, I am not sure what happens. On the other hand if he keeps it standing he might have to clock Brock a few times. Stylistically, I don't think this is quite as bad a missmatch as it is being made out to be and it presents a lot of unknowns in terms of advantages (which is what you want in a fight).

As far as business, this fight is perfect. Hunt's last three loses come three of the last four HW champs and in his last 7 wins he put down a range of opponents, from contenders to gate keepers to guys who aren't even around anymore. In short, he could use a really high profile win to make him a legit exciting contender, and Brock provides that without potentially eliminating someone as a contender from a relatively thin division. On the other hand, Brock needs a name opponent, not some can, but they also don't want to potentially feed one of their top 5-6 guys to someone who is probably ust their for one fight. Hunt, as good as he is, has never been a huge priority to the UFC and at 42 years old is probably not in their long term plans. Hunt's popularity is based less on wins and loses and more on what he always brings to the cage, so the UFC doesn't really mind if he takes an upset, but if he wins they get more out of Hunt in the next two years than they could have ever hoped otherwise. Plus, if Brock wins he can go back to the WWE and say he beat an absolute legend in the sport with a 17 year fighting career that spans however many countries, a kickboxing champion and a multiple award winner in MMA. If he loses he can say he walked in the cage with that same guy and stood toe to toe with one of the most dangerous heavyweight strikers in the world (if they even want to bring it up). There is no shame at all in getting knocked out by Mark Hunt.

Regardless, this is going to be a really fun fight. It might last 10 seconds, but it will be a fun 10 seconds

Yeah, Brock's only real chance is to get to Hunt quickly, and overwhelm him with his strength. If Hunt is allowed to be patient and fend off Brock's takedowns, we may very well get an all-time knockout. I don't think Brock stands a chance in this fight if Hunt can keep the fight standing, but if he gets him down...who knows.

Yeah, Brock's only real chance is to get to Hunt quickly, and overwhelm him with his strength. If Hunt is allowed to be patient and fend off Brock's takedowns, we may very well get an all-time knockout. I don't think Brock stands a chance in this fight if Hunt can keep the fight standing, but if he gets him down...who knows.

Ohhh yeah, if Hunt can keep this fight on the feet it won't last long. He is an infinitely better striker and has touch-of-death power. I just think the jury is out on how effective Hunt will be at dictating where the fight happens. I know it was a few years ago now, but I think back to those Brock fights before he got sick and his speed and power going were absolutely stunning. Smart money is still on Hunt, but I'm hesitant to call it a sure thing.

My wife is Canadian and she has some extended family out in Saskatchewan. I don't remember what we were watching one evening but Chris Jericho once said of Brock Lesnar - selling the fact that this dude does not like being around people - "Nobody moves TO Saskatchewan". She thought it was the funniest thing and still says that when Brock comes up for any reason.

Brock is tough, but he does not react well to getting hit. And Mark Hunt could probably knock out Godzilla if he connected well. I would be interested in how Brock's situation is treated in WWE, both in backstage contractual negotiations and the way he is booked, if he becomes the victim of a highlight-reel 1 minute walk-off ko on the biggest UFC PPV of all-time.

• 1 month later...

the WWE statement on their site is rather brief

Brock Lesnar has not performed for WWE since WrestleMania and is not scheduled to return until Sunday, Aug. 21.

So I guess they are going with the argument that Brock was clean in the WWE and then started using the juice once the UFC 200 thing grew hairs whenever that was.

WWE kind of has to do something. It's too big a story for them to ignore it, especially since they just had another top guy pop less than a month ago. Their publicly stated policy says they have to do something, and they can't pretend they don't know about it.

I mean, yeah they could do nothing, but WWE in 2016 is to phobic of bad PR to do that.

It's more likely they wait for the hearing to see what exactly it was he popped for, and if it's a PED and not something WWE wouldn't test for like cold medicine they'll issue a 30 day suspension retroactive to the failure date so he can be back for SummerSlam.